Foreigner, 2 Thais hurt in East Pattaya motorbike collision

Rimmer

22 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I travel down the railway road pretty much every day and it never ceases to amaze me the idiotic stunts that people pull to try to save a few seconds. Coming through any of the junctions is highly dangerous and you really have to be super on the ball. Just because you have right of way does not mean some fool will not do exactly what happened here.

Many people don`t know that you travel on this road, YOU DON`T HAVE RIGHT OF WAY !!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

I thought the only right of way in Thailand was that belonging to the bigger/faster vehicle. 

I totally agree with you about the Rot Fai road; the stupidity and selfishness of Thai drivers is evident every TWO minutes.  They will cross the road even though they can go nowhere and block off streams of traffic going straight on.  The resultant logjam blocks all four lanes in BOTH direction so their inane action gets them nowhere AND causes lots of others to be delayed also.

There are Thick white lines painted across the 'railway' road at every intersection. I presume the lines mean STOP?

2 hours ago, Henricus said:

Many people don`t know that you travel on this road, YOU DON`T HAVE RIGHT OF WAY !!!!!!!!!!

It's confusing. Some junctions it seems you do, some not.  Try driving straight across it at Soi Siam CC and a coach or truck will have you. Right of way, left of way, one way, any way... still get people on it driving the wrong way.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 10:47 AM, darksidedog said:

I travel down the railway road pretty much every day and it never ceases to amaze me the idiotic stunts that people pull to try to save a few seconds. Coming through any of the junctions is highly dangerous and you really have to be super on the ball. Just because you have right of way does not mean some fool will not do exactly what happened here.

but just WHO DOES HAVE THE right of way??

I avoid that road as much as I can ......no stop lines/give way lines.......

• Like 1

Another farang idiot on Thai roads not wearing a helmet.  He should have known better, 

Instead of "walking" away from the accident his life will change forever with a brain injury, if he should survive .  

59 minutes ago, balo said:

Another farang idiot on Thai roads not wearing a helmet.  He should have known better, 

Instead of "walking" away from the accident his life will change forever with a brain injury, if he should survive .  

I'm constantly amused by the guys who take no issue with a falang choosing a mode of transportation that increases his chance of dying by 2000-4000%, then calls him an idiot for choosing not to wear a helmet, which may decrease his chances of death by 40%.  Even with a helmet, a scooter is crazy dangerous compared to a car.

Sure, not wearing a helmet was a bad decision- especially with the benefit of 20:20 hindsight.  But there's a narrow window between a scooter collision you'll walk away from regardless of no helmet, and a wreck that's going to kill you even if you're wearing one.  Where limbs are torn off and end up 20 meters away...

I don't know if a helmet would have made this outcome better.  OTOH, had the guy been in a car, he'd just have a scratch on the door.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm constantly amused by the guys who take no issue with a falang choosing a mode of transportation that increases his chance of dying by 2000-4000%, then calls him an idiot for choosing not to wear a helmet, which may decrease his chances of death by 40%.  Even with a helmet, a scooter is crazy dangerous compared to a car.

Sure, not wearing a helmet was a bad decision- especially with the benefit of 20:20 hindsight.  But there's a narrow window between a scooter collision you'll walk away from regardless of no helmet, and a wreck that's going to kill you even if you're wearing one.  Where limbs are torn off and end up 20 meters away...

I don't know if a helmet would have made this outcome better.  OTOH, had the guy been in a car, he'd just have a scratch on the door.

motorcycle accidents where the innocent party did everything correctly, beyond conforming to the traffic rules, such as watch out for potential idiots, are thankfully relatively rare.

29 minutes ago, tgw said:

motorcycle accidents where the innocent party did everything correctly, beyond conforming to the traffic rules, such as watch out for potential idiots, are thankfully relatively rare.

That's true.  I calculated the odds of me being killed on my 1km motosai taxi ride to my Asoke office at about 1 in a million- or less.  And if I was going from my home to the office, I wore a helmet- because I had a place to keep it at home and in the office.  I figured I was still ahead, given the time it took to drive my truck (navigating some one way streets), pay for parking, and wind my way through the parking garage.  I saved about 15 minutes each way taking the motosai taxi.  Plus $10 a day on parking. 

Was it a decent trade-off?  I thought so.  Well worth the added risk, IMO.   But I had no illusion that it was as safe as driving my pickup.  And I didn't really worry about worsening the odds by 40% if I forgot my helmet.  That would have made it 1 in 600,000.  Hardly justification to call myself an idiot.  The dangerous decision was taking the scooter.  The helmet was just lipstick on a pig. (And it kept HR happy)

Edited by impulse

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

That's true.  I calculated the odds of me being killed on my 1km motosai taxi ride to my Asoke office at about 1 in a million- or less.  And if I was going from my home to the office, I wore a helmet- because I had a place to keep it at home and in the office.  I figured I was still ahead, given the time it took to drive my truck (navigating some one way streets), pay for parking, and wind my way through the parking garage.  I saved about 15 minutes each way taking the motosai taxi.  Plus $10 a day on parking. 

Was it a decent trade-off?  I thought so.  Well worth the added risk, IMO.   But I had no illusion that it was as safe as driving my pickup.  And I didn't really worry about worsening the odds by 40% if I forgot my helmet.  That would have made it 1 in 600,000.  Hardly justification to call myself an idiot.

in my case, driving the motorcycle to the mall between 17:00 and 19:00 saves about one hour (distance: only 3 Km).

the car is useless during rush hour.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 6:33 AM, jacko45k said:

I get one home after a night out, usually 500 baht. They asked for 600 though!

If the cabbies were forced to obey the law of the land and use a meter, I would imagine this fare would be maximum 150?

23 hours ago, mikebell said:

If the cabbies were forced to obey the law of the land and use a meter, I would imagine this fare would be maximum 150?

They are also telling lies. I had ordered a grab car last night and got the message he had arrived and a taxi cab pulled up in front of me. I got in and was pestered by messages from the real grab car all the way home!

On 1/19/2020 at 10:47 AM, darksidedog said:

BUT just WHO does HAVE the RIGHT of way??

23 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They are also telling lies. I had ordered a grab car last night and got the message he had arrived and a taxi cab pulled up in front of me. I got in and was pestered by messages from the real grab car all the way home!

A new movie - 'Lawless in Pattaya'.