BANGKOK
andy

10 year Thai Passports being issued yet?

I know there has been talk of this happening, but we all know how that goes in this part of the world...

Does anyone know if Thais are being issued with 10 year passports now?  Wife will be applying in Bangkok, if that matters.  She could wait a few months or so, if this is not happening yet but is coming soon.

Thanks.

Can't find anything more precise than written above (mid 2020).

Going with the Daughter to renew her one this week, I'll land at Edinburgh, I'll get about 8hrs sleep, then take turns with the son-in-law driving the 700km to London. She might look sleepy in the photo! Then a stop at a hotel overnight on the way back up. 

A bit more complicated than when the Wife and Son done their's, last year, over here.

A ten year one would be nicer, but can look forward to flying down in another five years!

Edited by UKresonant

On 1/19/2020 at 12:01 PM, andy said:

Does anyone know if Thais are being issued with 10 year passports now?  Wife will be applying in Bangkok,

My wife and daughter did theirs last month (Surat Thani) and my wife was told that they were only doing the 10 year passports in Bangkok...so whether that meant they were/are doing them now, or will be doing them soon is not known, but Bangkok will be the place they're issued.

• Sad 1

On 1/19/2020 at 12:20 PM, stouricks said:

I would imagine most Thais, especially ladies, would like the chance to get a new photo taken.

Yes, a definite plus of the Thai system IMHO is that new mug shots are taken by the relevant powers-that-be as part of the passport renewal process. None of the nonsense that we Westerners generally have to put up with when renewing our passports here in trying to find a local professional photographer who is capable of taking mug shots which comply strictly with over-fussy requirements prescribed by the passport-issuing powers-that-be back in our home countries in their infinite wisdom!

3 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Yes, a definite plus of the Thai system IMHO is that new mug shots are taken by the relevant powers-that-be as part of the passport renewal process. None of the nonsense that we Westerners generally have to put up with when renewing our passports here in trying to find a local professional photographer who is capable of taking mug shots which comply strictly with over-fussy requirements prescribed by the passport-issuing powers-that-be back in our home countries in their infinite wisdom!

There's an app for your phone that does it.

No need to pay a professional photographer.

• Thanks 1

It is a real hassle going to the local City Hall twice in 10 years, 10 minutes each time, to renew a 5 year passport. 

I would imagine most Thais, especially ladies, would like the chance to get a new photo taken.

Indeed. My son just had to renew - I was soooo jealous of how easy it was - but then I remembered it doesn't let him enter anywhere I would want to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CHARLES1949 said:

My wife renewed her Thai passport last week....It is good for 5 years.....She applied on Monday and received it in the mail on Wednesday,,,,She said it only took her a few minutes to do it..

WE KNow its ez to do 5 year , we want 10 year info

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

In Canada when 10 year passports came out they reduced usable pages. So basically its a 3 year passport.🤪 

• Thanks 1

It is a real hassle going to the local City Hall twice in 10 years, 10 minutes each time, to renew a 5 year passport. 

Yes it is a hassle when it's a 360km round trip as we had to do 2 weeks ago.

And to answer the O/Ps query it was a 5 year passport that she received.

On 1/19/2020 at 5:20 AM, stouricks said:

It is actually a pain in the ass.. Because of the limits on travel plans for frequent travellers, the needing to stay on top of it, and then the need to carry both passports or the hassle of moving non Thai visas etc to the new one. 

My wife has visas that are longer than her passports.. Kind of silly. 

Normally you go from 10 year validity to 5 year because of security reasons. For example,people change a lot in 10 years. In several countries you don't use photos taken in a 'photomat' or by a professional photographer anymore. They are taken at the place where you apply for the passport with a digital camera. They even do the same in embassies in Thailand.