Does anybody know if it possible to receive SMS messages on an AIS (one-2-call) prepaid SIM outside Thailand?

nglodnig

AFAIK this SIM is still active (used it last month) so I don't think it got cut off. I used the mobile top up site just in case anyway. But when I switch the phone on outside Thailand I am told "not registered" - is it possible to get a pre-paid SIM registered for roaming?

I am back in Thailand this week so will go to Central Airport Plaza AIS shop (if it exists) and hopefully someone there will speak English.

Last time I went to a phone shop there I ended up drawing a picture of a big circle, a little splodge saying "Thailand" and the rest "Not Thailand" - a bit like "small" / "far-away" in Father Ted.

10 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

But when I switch the phone on outside Thailand I am told "not registered" - is it possible to get a pre-paid SIM registered for roaming?

Yes, it is! However, you will receive SMS for a price you probably don´t want to pay. I just used roaming with AIS a couple of month ago when visiting Laos. About 3 minutes became a neat sum of 1962 baht. ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, it is! However, you will receive SMS for a price you probably don´t want to pay. I just used roaming with AIS a couple of month ago when visiting Laos. About 3 minutes became a neat sum of 1962 baht. ????

Hi Thanks I will enquire at the AIS office. Not too worried about the cost as I will probably receive a max of one maybe two SMSes a month. This WAS with a PRE-PAID SIM card I take it?

12 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

Hi Thanks I will enquire at the AIS office. Not too worried about the cost as I will probably receive a max of one maybe two SMSes a month. This WAS with a PRE-PAID SIM card I take it?

Yes, it was with a prepaid SIM, my bloody fool ????

56 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

Unfortunately Mattzon made a bit of a blunder. You won't suffer in the same way.

What you need to do when back in Thailand, is to tap in *125*1# and then to hit the dial key to switch on International Roaming.

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/en/faq.html

Then, most importantly, when you are going to leave, switch of data usage, by tapping in *129*1# and then the dial key.

You will still be able to receive SMS(for free), but not browse the Internet and therefore will not incur any costs.

When back in Thailand, switch data back on by dialling *129*2# and then the dial key.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Next time, switch data off if you just want to receive SMS.

If you really need to use data, you can buy one of their, expensive but still less than you spent, Roaming packages; http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/brazillikehome/en/

But best to buy their http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/sim2fly/en/ product at 399 baht for 10 days. It also allows you to re-route calls from your normal number.

• Like 2

Well I'll be damned. After several attempts over several days at getting the Thai SIM card to work (at several locations) not an hour or so after posting this I went over to another island (I'm in Singapore) and my phone started going  crazy with SMSes (well three actually) from AIS welcoming me to Singapore. Looks like I dropped out of and re-entered the "Singapore Zone" and got welcomed back in.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Some good information there.

Edited by nglodnig
grammar correct because grammar is important