Foreigeners not allowed to pay at Tesco Lotus

Templar Knight

Why not go to the machines at the front of the suppliers?

True

AIS

Whatever.

In fact most Tescos have these smaller internet/ phone shops attached.

Pay at the supplier machine no ID required just type in your phone number.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Strange but true. It appears that foreigners are no longer alllowed to pay bills at Tesco Lotus. I tried to pay my electric bill as usual today. But if you want to pay bills at Tesco Lotus you now have to show your Thai ID-Card. Passport or drivers license are not accepted. I have a Thai ID-card for foreigenrs, that was not accpeted. They didn't know how to proces it as the pink ID-card doesn't have a chip like the Blue ones for Thai nationals. So Tescolotus doesn't even accept an official ID-card from the Thai government. They did look in their manual to see what to do with a pink ID-card. But seems there was no mention of it. Wonder what the Thai government thinks of that. An official Thai ID-card is not accpeted as proof of ID....

I didn't came as far as paying the Tescolotus credit card. I guess that is now also impossible to do at Tesco Lotus. Do foreigners with a Tesco Lotus credit card now have to pay their credit card at the bank instead of at tesco itself? I wonder.

Any body else with this experience? 

• Like 2

I have seen many mentions of this sort of thing happening . But to date I have never yet had a problem paying at my local PEA Office even when I have sometimes taken other peoples bills to pay as well.

The only time I have  had an issue is when a Telewhiz shop point blank refused to sell me a sim card and  that was several years back. And that was despite having purchased  one from the same shop before and often topping up AIS prepays. At other outlets I have also purchased  sim cards  with no request for any "registration" details. The only  consistent element seems to be the inconsistency !

• Like 1

Had the same with water bill and TOT bill at Tesco. Flatly refused pink ID, Thai DL and passport copy. Just kept saying must have chipped ID card. Asked how I can get one as I have lived here over 20 years, the usual mai ru. Government directive came in on the 16th.

• Like 1

I pay all my bills except the electricity bill using online banking through my KBank account using my desktop pc. Why I cannot pay my PEA bill online I have no idea.

I just wander up to the PEA office (15 km away) once a month and pay in cash.

• Thanks 1

I pay most of my bills online. It is fast and no hassle.

And in many cases, like internet, electricity, mobile phone, etc. it shows the exact amount which has to be paid.

And just in case I would try to pay a minute later again the system tells me it is paid already.

And in case I was late and i.e. my internet was already cut off then that payment is accepted instantly, even in the middle of the night. A few minutes later internet works again.

(In case someone asks: I connect with my mobile if my main internet is down)

For offline payments: foreign passports numbers have a different format then Thai ID cards and some contain numbers. It's incompatible so if they don't have an extra field for foreigners then it won't work.

• Like 1