Foreigeners not allowed to pay at Tesco Lotus

Templar Knight

What I understood from the documents I saw was that it was Tesco Lotus specific. Their system is not set up for it.

At banks I already had to show ID sometimes to pay bills. But always no problem with a Pink card, passport or drivers lisence. They are simply set up for it. Tesco not, although the Pink ID card is an official ID from the Thai government. Thus it should be accepted in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Templar Knight said:

Who in all their wisdom decided to do this? 

The root cause seems to come from the anti money laundering office (!)

See this thread in Thai language forum with the announcement:

Edited by KhunBENQ

I didn't see this topic, so started one of my own.

AMLO is the reason why you have to show ID. But the problem is that Tesco only accepts a Thai ID card, with a chip. Not even the official Thai government pink-ID card is accepted. So they problems lay with Tesco. They refuse to accept any other form of ID, where as banks etc have no problem with that. Talking about service.... 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

So the minority ,the arms dealers,terrorists,money launderers,are dictating the actions

that affect the lives of the majority, ID to post a letter,ID to pay a bill,it has gotten crazy.

Absolutely crazy.

Like reaction to shoe bombers, liquid explosive mixers etc.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Crazy measures as prof. criminals etc etc will just use a local or whatever to hide. 

Anyway, why do people still pay their bills at Tesco or 7/11 in the first place? You can pay from Mobile banking in real time or do auto deduct from bank.
My landlord has the auto deduct option and I just transfer her the amount when I receive the bill in the mailbox. Avoids getting cut off on holidays too.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Indeed it seems you need to identify yourself (with Thai ID card) to pay.

No joke: it's about identity theft, money laundering, weapon deals and spreading weapons of mass destruction. Referring to money laundering agency.

PARANOIA to the max.

It won't be long before someone chimes in here saying it's just another example of how the Thais hate all farangs and want us all to go home. In fact I am surprised that this hasn't already happened in a 3 hour old thread.

Must be the weekend.

• Haha 2

I guess they either forgot about foreigners or just didn't want to implement a special process for foreigners who pay their bills, because it would be quite bothersome if the cashier has to take a picture of the passport and send it somewhere.

A Thai who wants to show his driving license as identification would run into the same problem.

Edited by jackdd

Just now, NanLaew said:

I'll have you know it wasn't a week, it was 10 days.

...and I visited the Sanctuary of Truth.

Twice!

Ive been dragged through that place a few times, now when I have visitors arrive I refuse.

Just now, holy cow cm said:

I can't believe most the posters on this topic are lay down roll over complacent of the <deleted> this government is doing about stuff that is against basic freedoms and has zero to do about corruption as in money laundering.

What should Johhny Falang do, stomp his feet and chuck a tantrum, maybe toss a bit of abuse at the checkout person ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

So in reality where does this stop? Buying food at a restaurant? Supermarket? Buying airline tickets? Renting a room for the night? Buying a car or truck? Clothes? It has now reached overboard point and the Thai better see this as need to stand up and say enough is enough. Will will also create an additional movement of reason for exodus for the foreigners to leave and the one's not to come. Welcome to ThaiChinland

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

What should Johhny Falang do, stomp his feet and chuck a tantrum, maybe toss a bit of abuse at the checkout person ?

I have a wife and kids who are my connection here and who have friends. It is not only an attack on foreigners, but them as well. Word does go around and with that builds angst and dissent. The younger generation is already fed up. So, when you are not able to pay bills at the office or buy gasoline anywhere or even get money from the bank, your money, then what are you really going to do? 

• Haha 2

Just now, holy cow cm said:

I have a wife and kids who are my connection here and who have friends. It is not only an attack on foreigners, but them as well. Word does go around and with that builds angst and dissent. The younger generation is already fed up. So, when you are not able to pay bills at the office or buy gasoline anywhere or even get money from the bank, your money, then what are you really going to do? 

When did they stop selling  gasoline to foreigners ?

I can see tin foil is still readily available though and your hat making skills are next level !!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

When did they stop selling  gasoline to foreigners ?

I can see tin foil is still readily available though and your hat making skills are next level !!

It's indeed a bit confusing. Nothing has changed ( besides the Tesco policy) and paying your bills at a 7 Eleven is still possible. 

Edited by Isaanbiker

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

It won't be long before someone chimes in here saying it's just another example of how the Thais hate all farangs and want us all to go home. In fact I am surprised that this hasn't already happened in a 3 hour old thread.

Must be the weekend.

Its actually the reverse...Thais have to present ID to pay a bill....us foreigners dont have to as we dont have one...thank the Government for leaving us alone

Just now, baansgr said:

Its actually the reverse...Thais have to present ID to pay a bill....us foreigners dont have to as we dont have one...thank the Government for leaving us alone

And yet the OP could not pay his electric bill cause he is a foreigner.... go figure !!

Edited by Don Mega

The situation is now this:

You have a Tesco Lotus credit card. You go to Tesco Lotus to pay and can't. Tesco will not accept you paying of your debt with them. I guess that makes Tesco at fault; they now can't charge you intrest as they are the ones who refuse the payment while you are willing. 

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

PEA have an App, online payment no problem (by bank or Thai credit card).

I have it downloaded to my mobile but not yet registered.

The first line of registration is my (wife's) ID card number and I never got past that line.

If you have a little time could you send me instructions on how to use the app, mobile and pc.

I have my mobile Bluetoothed to my desktop but there seems to be no connection or activity