Foreigeners not allowed to pay at Tesco Lotus

Templar Knight

13 hours ago, CharlieH said:

So you want a printed receipt in your hand ? but dont have a printer, are sure you cant think of any other reason or obstacle ?

How about I do not use Smart Phones because I refuse to make my phone information and my location easily trackable by any Government that continues to use and store meti data on the ridiculous presumption that it will stop terrorism. 

The worst example is my own Government- the USA- which continues to track everyone.  

It is absolutely absurd that anyone has to show an Id Card to pay a bill with cash anywhere or anytime.  

• Thanks 1

Paid my electric yesterday at 7/11 with no problem. Although the last two times I’ve paid they told me to press the green enter button on the card reader. I paid by cash so maybe pressing the

green button is..... Magic needed to make life easier..

it works so im good with it. I did have a thought to tell the family 

they like keeping lights on here pay it yourself.. .. naw that’d neve

work and they’d say I’m crazy.....

enjoy the day...

• Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 4:12 PM, Templar Knight said:

My life was not difficult until this happened for i would go to Tesco every week for something and it was easy to pay. Going to the bank i hate long lines and paying on line i dont trust.  I will get someone to pay it for me.  Who thought of this idea of id for paying for bills what is the benefit from this? 

Change your bank branch. I used one in Chiang Mai and rarely had to wait. Had I gone to the main bank I'd have had to q.

As for your problem, blame farangs that have abused the system at TESCO. It's always a few miscreants that stuff it up for the rest of us.

15 hours ago, SteveK said:

Just paid my electric bill in person with cash. No problems at all. I suspect it's another scaremongering thread. <snip>

Sorry to disappoint you it is not another scaremongering thread this happened to me.  I have not tried 7 or Big C yet just Tesco.  I will try 7 the next time thanks for your reply

• Confused 1

It has happened to me as well. Yesterday I was at Tesco to pay my internet bill and the cashier asked for my ID card. Since it doesn't have a chip, I was refused, even though I pay my bills in cash. The 7-11 cashier had no problem keying in my account number and accepting cash payment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmm, so I'll have to see next month when I pay my water bill at 7-11. The routine has been, step up to cashier, they scan the barcode in, I pay (adding the 10 baht charge) and they staple the payment receipt to the bill and bid me sawatdee ka ... ID? The rental house bill is in the name of the owner so my ID would e useless applied here?

23 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Best just use the app in your phone to pay.... I use True app. For most other things I use the KBank app... top up easypass, whatever. Why have a phone and not use it for payments? It's one of the few things that help better justify forking out every month for the phone bill...

I don't see how it's 'easier' to travel to Tesco, or even schedule adding payments to your grocery shopping. New apps enabling easy secure payments from your bed are the best invention since sliced bread!

Agreed that it makes life easier for someone who steals or finds your phone as well. All those accounts available at the touch on the screen. 

I assume you have heavy password protection on your phone? 

• Sad 1

It has probably mean posted already but I cant be bothered to go through all 11 pages. Why many people waste their time driving long distances to pay bills and even use internet banking is beyond me. Just set up a direct debit payment from your bank once a month. You still get a bill but the payment is automatic. Water, electric, 3bb internet easy

15 hours ago, SteveK said:

For me I just like the idea of being able to pay my bills whilst getting my groceries. And getting a receipt to make sure it has all gone through nice and easy. Using a badly programmed Thai app is just another headache that I don't need right now.

Why dont you just admit it. "I am old fashioned and I dont like change". I bet you use a dial up modem dont you? Come on you know you do.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Sounds like you need 2 apps to pay the electric bill, Ive no issue with using an app to pay a bill but a banking app is a big no no for me.

Why? I have 2 banking apps. SCB and Bangkok Bank. You can transfer from one to the other in seconds. Top up your phone, pay friends. Its so easy. There are no glitches. You are just being paronoid.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Agreed that it makes life easier for someone who steals or finds your phone as well. All those accounts available at the touch on the screen. 

I assume you have heavy password protection on your phone? 

A rather naive post. All phones have password or fingerprint protection, as do all banking apps. Totally secure.

• Like 1

I was about to say, what a result! foreigners aren’t allowed to pay the bill at Tesco, that means it’s all on the wife. 

I don’t understand these 12 pages. Call me lazy, but I pay everything online - PEA, water, Internet, AIS and true, true vision, rent - it’s a jungle out there, I’d rather do it all from my desk.

• Like 2

The lady at Tesco yesterday said that it had to be an ID that had the chip in it.  They wouldn't accept anything else including passport or DL.  I went across the streeet to a Big-C market and had no problems.

My Bangkok Bank ATM stopped working. I haven't used it for a while but none of the ATM s would accept it today.  There's been a message on the ATM for months about getting a new card but it was in Thai so I ignored it.  Off to BBL tomorrow to see if what the problem is as I have plenty of money in the account and internet banking still works, I think!

31 minutes ago, wayned said:

My Bangkok Bank ATM stopped working. I haven't used it for a while but none of the ATM s would accept it today.  There's been a message on the ATM for months about getting a new card but it was in Thai so I ignored it.  Off to BBL tomorrow to see if what the problem is as I have plenty of money in the account and internet banking still works, I think!

You will have to get a new card with a chip in it, you will have to pay for it now......and the ATM message has been in English too.

For those of you using the PEA app, what number are they looking for on the login screen?  I get the phone number and the email, but tried my passport number but no luck. PEA is not listed as a bill payee on the Krungsri app so can't use that...  In the mean time I will have to use the 7-11 down the block.... mai mee bpan haa

Thanks

• Like 1

I have been asked for id to pay my credit card bill at the bank for a while now. They will accept driving license though. On a realted note, I tried to book a train ticket online recently. The srt site has English. They want you to make an account. It was ok until you are asked for a Thai id or pasport number. You cant use it unless you are Thai, but it has an English version. Total stupidity. Now Thais have to use id to buy a train ticket online. Pathetic.

3 hours ago, jimn said:

Why? I have 2 banking apps. SCB and Bangkok Bank. You can transfer from one to the other in seconds. Top up your phone, pay friends. Its so easy. There are no glitches. You are just being paronoid.

I can do all that and more from my secure PC or Laptop.

I don't need no banking app on my phone that could be full of hidden spyware from the manufacturer.

Edited by Don Mega

On 1/19/2020 at 6:40 AM, EricTh said:

Why go through all these trouble just to pay your electricity bill? I have my bank autodebit my bank account for only less than 10 baht per month.

Save my time and petrol money.

So do I but try getting them to stop taking that money !!! I had to close my bank account in the end. 

Now I make a new bank account, every house move... Put all the house bills in that account, and can control the final outcome by reducing it to zero. 

I understand needing an ID for transportation, but an ID to pay a bill is simply unacceptable. I won't use an app. I want to use physical cash, not digital. No matter how much the government wants to force me to use digital payments, I will not do it. I don't care how "convenient" they make it for me.

There is no genuine reason to force digital payments down our throats.  The only reason is so that the government can, at some point, enforce negative interest rates just like they are experimenting with in Europe.

Except for uncontrolled currencies like Bitcoin, digital cash apps are not something anyone will ever get my cooperation on as a matter of principle.  If I can't pay with physical cash at Lotus I will simply go to the PEA office to pay my bill....with cash. Since Lotus uses this as a way to get customers to come into their store, perhaps they should rethink their policies.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DoktorC said:

For those of you using the PEA app, what number are they looking for on the login screen?  I get the phone number and the email, but tried my passport number but no luck. PEA is not listed as a bill payee on the Krungsri app so can't use that...  In the mean time I will have to use the 7-11 down the block.... mai mee bpan haa

It has to be a Thai ID card number, most use Wifey's but there are apps about to generate Thai ID that pass the checkbit test, there's no validation that the ID is real.

• Like 1