W10 Screen

JAS21

Yesterday I upgraded both my computers from W7 to W10 ...Pro

On the other computer I got the W10 screen that I expected, but on this computer, see below is what I got ... any ideas? Yes both are activated ... one pointer is that previously a lot of the wording on the screen was green as it is now ... see bottom left of screen ...type here to search....any suggestions as to the problem??

New_IMG_1482.jpg.1b6f592735f1008600de4416d772ecc6.jpg

"dark mode" is a buzzword currently.

I am not aware how this could happen involuntarily.

I find it unlikely that it has to do with drivers, graphic cards etc.

And there is no "send bitcoins to ..." message. Not hijacked or the like.

Have you simply tried to change back the "theme"/color settings to something appropriate?

I had two sudden cases of background color changed to black without an obvious reason. Just changed it back and forgot about it.

Don't know whether this article is most helpful?

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-theme-lock-screen-wallpaper-windows-10

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

^^ he clearly doesn't have auto arrange on

looks to me like a high contrast theme is on

image.png.fe1c2807932bb7fc60302bae11c1420f.png

i think if you write "theme" in that search bar you should be able to change it. (or high contrast)

just tested mine and it ends up like this when it's on

image.png.0ded5f7c2252d888398b6b629256f996.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kekalot said:

^^ he clearly doesn't have auto arrange on

image.png.fe1c2807932bb7fc60302bae11c1420f.png

i think if you write "theme" in that search bar you should be able to change it. (or high contrast)

just tested mine and it ends up like this when it's on

image.png.0ded5f7c2252d888398b6b629256f996.png

Good fix. Well done that man!

54 minutes ago, kekalot said:

Having known @JAS21 personally for some years it is indeed quite likely that he's "accidentally" enabled a high-contrast theme :whistling:

Definitely a "click first then wonder what the message said" person ????

So @JAS21 is it an "accidental" high-contrast theme that's now back to normal?

OK..thanks guys for all the suggestions 

So this was an old computer that I needed to use when my main computer started telling me that it was shutting down to save it breaking …eventually it  just didn’t want to start....broke I guess ...

When it was giving problems I dumped all the data that I needed onto an external dive. After it broke I bought a new SSD, dropped a ‘kin screw whilst fitting it, so had to take everything out of the case to look for it!, then reinstalled W7 and then upgraded it to W10, so that is now working fine.

Now this computer was basically a spare, had some of my backed up data (2nd back up) and also used it for watching films on the TV that I used as a monitor.

A while ago, when I switched it on I notices lots of the words were in green, definitely when I inputted something eg into Word or Excell the words/numbers were green.

The output cable I used to the TV… don’t know what it’s called .. but the socket is on the left of the blue output cable. I have now moved the PC to feed a monitor rather that the TV and all is still the same.

Anyway after I upgraded to W10 from W7 I noticed that the screen was completely different, to my other computer as per pic. And the same bits were still in green.  Today I have been deleting stuff, it even has a windows old file! As I want to  replace the HDD with an SSD…will clone using Easeus …seems to be something that I can follow! …. I freely admit that I struggle with computers … An knowledgeable person on this thinks I’m a complete tosser and my neighboro thinks I’m an expert! My background is commissioning and operation of large coal/oil/gas and CCGT generating plant. If something comes up and I don’t quite know what it means I choose what I think is the best option …………  

YES I did use auto arrange but then moved what I need frequently to the other side.

YES I flicked High Contrast on and off … still the same background

I’m not too sure what configuration means but have attached some information.

I am wondering what this Ram Drive is. It was the idea of the same knowledgeable person on this site idea years ago to just have one partition. When I look it shows 3072bytes of used space...whatever that is..

Reading the replies it doesn’t seem to me that a solution has been found, if I understand correctly …should I try and delete this Ram Drive before I Clone? Should I buy a Graphic Card, that may solve the green problem, I think I could try the graphics card out of my good computer, that might prove something ...

tks

New_IMG_1491.jpg.ebe494118209d5236c96d2cc6002b0df.jpg

New_IMG_1493.jpg.ee99c7b5592d442e8f77dfd759f8f19b.jpg

New_IMG_1494.jpg.6686ce42c94209e3863e44663d3d3205.jpg

New_IMG_1495.thumb.jpg.c3fc77470f0f73c26a2f1e8cf32d1fec.jpg

New_IMG_1496.thumb.jpg.b7c67ac202e7fecd0b3e46bbb90234be.jpg

Edited by JAS21

if its showing the same on the TV and the monitor then it's the computer or the cable

however, if the cable was bad it would technically change every single color not just your UI (task bar, top of windows, etc)

so it's a theme or high contrast mode

if high contrast mode doesn't switch off (it should definitely be off), then its bugged

to be honest, instead of getting a video card, i'd get a cheap 500gb USD drive or whatever size you want

copy your important stuff on there and use the "Reset this PC" option in Settings and it will reinstall Windows 10 from scratch

you want to use the delete my files option so make sure you got everything you need

consider asking someone for help if you don't know where all your stuff is ????

Edited by kekalot
stuff

I'm sure that you didn't make all the big updates. Go to Device manager ( right click on the Windows sign), then look for monitor and Display adaptors and update them.

What W 10 are you running now? Is it already on 1909? If not, the updates will fix it. 

And try this:

Windows Update has lately been installing incorrect display drivers . . .

Open Device Manager (accessible by right clicking your Start Button)
Expand the Display Adapters Section
Right click your graphics card, choose properties
On the Driver Tab, click 'Roll back Driver'

Close Device Manager and restart your system.

Best of luck! Newest OS attached.

Screenshot (504).png

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

So this was an old computer that I needed to use when my main computer started telling me that it was shutting down to save it breaking …eventually it  just didn’t want to start....broke I guess ...

When it was giving problems I dumped all the data that I needed onto an external dive. After it broke I bought a new SSD, dropped a ‘kin screw whilst fitting it, so had to take everything out of the case to look for it!, then reinstalled W7 and then upgraded it to W10, so that is now working fine.

Now this computer was basically a spare, had some of my backed up data (2nd back up) and also used it for watching films on the TV that I used as a monitor.

A while ago, when I switched it on I notices lots of the words were in green, definitely when I inputted something eg into Word or Excell the words/numbers were green.

The output cable I used to the TV… don’t know what it’s called .. but the socket is on the left of the blue output cable. I have now moved the PC to feed a monitor rather that the TV and all is still the same.

Anyway after I upgraded to W10 from W7 I noticed that the screen was completely different, to my other computer as per pic. And the same bits were still in green.  Today I have been deleting stuff, it even has a windows old file! As I want to  replace the HDD with an SSD…will clone using Easeus …seems to be something that I can follow! …. I freely admit that I struggle with computers … An knowledgeable person on this thinks I’m a complete tosser and my neighboro thinks I’m an expert! My background is commissioning and operation of large coal/oil/gas and CCGT generating plant. If something comes up and I don’t quite know what it means I choose what I think is the best option …………  

YES I did use auto arrange but then moved what I need frequently to the other side.

I am wondering what this Ram Drive is. It was the idea of the same knowledgeable person on this site idea years ago to just have one partition. When I look it shows 3072bytes of used space...whatever that is..

Reading the replies it doesn’t seem to me that a solution has been found, if I understand correctly …should I try and delete this Ram Drive before I Clone? Should I buy a Graphic Card, that may solve the green problem, I think I could try the graphics card out of my good computer, that might prove something ...

tks

What RAM drive?

Regardless, have a go at the colour filters; https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/103066-enable-disable-color-filters-hotkey-windows-10-a.html

Moving on from that, if you already have an SSD ready, clean install Windows 10 to it as opposed to cloning the old HDD.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

tks

"YES I flicked High Contrast on and off … still the same background"

That only works after a restart. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, kekalot said:

if its showing the same on the TV and the monitor then it's the computer or the cable

however, if the cable was bad it would technically change every single color not just your UI (task bar, top of windows, etc)

so it's a theme or high contrast mode

if high contrast mode doesn't switch off (it should definitely be off), then its bugged

to be honest, instead of getting a video card, i'd get a cheap 500gb USD drive or whatever size you want

copy your important stuff on there and use the "Reset this PC" option in Settings and it will reinstall Windows 10 from scratch

you want to use the delete my files option so make sure you got everything you need

consider asking someone for help if you don't know where all your stuff is ????

Tks ... it's not the cable as I have used a different type to the Acer S201L monitor ...by the way I would like to buy another S201L monitor so that I can use two screens.

The High Contrast mode will not stay off. I switch it off...restart the PC ...go to High Contrast and then see it move to ON. And I get 'This Theme Can't be Applied to the Desktop' I moved to high Contrast Black and the green writing disappeared. 

I see the 'reset this PC Option', but will there be a problem activating... 'Reset this PC' ...it  will reinstall automatically? 

40 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

What RAM drive?

Regardless, have a go at the colour filters; https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/103066-enable-disable-color-filters-hotkey-windows-10-a.html

Moving on from that, if you already have an SSD ready, clean install Windows 10 to it as opposed to cloning the old HDD.

Ram Drive Q ....

I'll look at that W10 forum ...but the problem existed under W7, it just started one day ...previous day it was OK

What about activation

39 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

"YES I flicked High Contrast on and off … still the same background"

That only works after a restart. 

tks .. but it won't stay OFF..when I look after restart it moves to ON

Edited by JAS21

5 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Tks ... it's not the cable as I have used a different type to the Acer S201L monitor ...by the way I would like to buy another S201L monitor so that I can use two screens.

The High Contrast mode will not stay off. I switch it off...restart the PC ...go to High Contrast and then see it move to ON. And I get 'This Theme Can't be Applied to the Desktop' I moved to high Contrast Black and the green writing disappeared. 

I see the 'reset this PC Option', but will there be a problem activating... 'Reset this PC' ...it  will reinstall automatically? 

no problem reactivating if you logged in with an email at some point but don't use Reset this PC before you made a backup somewhere or you'll be mad lol

it's the modern equivalent of formatting (delete everything, reinstall windows) but it's mostly automated.

if you clone the whole drive and put it back you will just have the same issue.

Edited by kekalot

if what i said above about accounts don't make sense, look in Settings under Accounts and it should be under "your info"

if there is an email address under your username/name then that is what you need to login with when requested and it will automatically activate

don't use the "keep my files" option if you are 100% sure that you backed up all your stuff somewhere else and then it will act as a brand new w10 installation

i'd suggest going on ninite.com (before better - after fine.) and then getting all your software from there.

I suggest at least:

Classic Start, WinDirStat under Utilities

Everything under Others

Notepad++ under Developer Tools

it downloads an exe file that will install all the selected apps and if you ever want to run for updates you can keep it and run it in a few weeks etc.

these are the things I always install:

image.thumb.png.8b79d772c72609e0a72fee9f4a63ae59.png

Edited by kekalot
additions