Refused SETV

Your opinion or expertise would be appreciated.

I entered Thailand with an exemption Stamp on 10 SEP 2019. Flew out on 12 SEP 2019 to Cambodia with friends. 

Re-entered Thailand on an exemption Stamp on 17 SEP 2019. 

Flew to Phnom Penh to obtain a SETV on 16 OCT 2019.

Obtained VISA and returned to Thailand via Air on 20 OCT 2019.

Received 30 Day Extenstion on 13 DEC 2019 (to 18 JAN 2020).

Flew back to Phnom Penh on 13 JAN 2020 to apply for another SETV.

I was refused an SETV.

The only thing the official at the counter asked was why I hadn't used the exit ticket that I'd shown as proof for my last Tourist Visa. I had all required documentation including proof of funds and exit air ticket to the US.

I answered her that I had planned to go home for Christmas but had change those plans when I had started Muaythai instruction, wanted to continue the lessons and was now planning to go back to the States for the Spring instead.

The "consulate refused" my SETV application. They placed no annotations in my passport simply returning it to me.

Question:  Will that preclude my entering on a Visa Exemption stamp at Nongkhai or a Suvarnabhum?

I'm still in Cambodia and contemplating flying over to Laos and attempting to enter via the land border. I'm nervous though, that I'm in the system as "refuse entry" or something.

I don't deal drugs. I don't have a job. I've got plenty of money in the bank and, of course, provided a bank statement. I provided a schedule for the Thai boxing lessons and contact details for my instructor.

I don't want to be placed on any kind of blacklist and I do not wish to be deported to the States as I've read has happened to some others.

It seems that the sticking point was that I didn't fly out in accordance with the ticket that I'd used for my last Visa application.

What I would like is to be able get back to Bangkok for a couple of weeks, spend a little more time with my GF, grab my things and head back to the States so we can start the fiance' visa process.

Any insight would be appreciated.

You can fly into Thailand visa exempt if that suits you. 

Even if your history was far more extensive and you were denied entry you would be flown back to where you embarked PP.

Not deported etc.

You also have 2 border exempt entries into Thailand per calendar year. So you could enter via border

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

Do not try for a visa in Savannakhet. You would most likely be successful in Vientiane or Kuala Lumpur. Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi and Yangon are other options.

No chance in Vientiane with his history. Hanoi 50/50. 
Yangon, the visa run company that was going there, aren't going anymore since their requirement update as below. Notice they now request your old passport if your trying the passport switch to a new passport there now.

Basic Documents required: 1. passport which validity is no less than 6 months 2. visa application form completely filled in   3. 2 recent color photos (3.5x4.5 cm) 4. invitation letter (if any) 5. confirmed round trip air ticket or hotel reservation/accommodation reference (for travelling through border)   6. 40USD visa fee ‐‐ we accept only new USD note. good condition. No mark, no scratch.

Additional documents for first‐time application/holder of new passport 1. letter of employment (for employee) or company registration (for business owner) 2. invitation letter (if any) 3. evidence of sufficient financial means to visit Thailand   (estimately 800 USD/person) or prove of properties or letter from guarantor. 4. Copy of previous passport (if any)

Additional documents for applicant who has had extension of stay or many entries to Thailand 1. letter of employment (for employee) or 2. company registration (for business owner) or 3. Guarantee/invitation letter from company in Thailand.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/yangon/en/services/33445-Tourist-Visa.html

Edited by Lovethailandelite

2 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

No chance in Vientiane with his history. Hanoi 50/50. 

He does not have a long history. Reread his original post. He has been in Thailand for most of the last four months. That would disqualify him in Savaannakhet, but not in Vientiane or Hanoi. He would even have a good chance flying in for a visa exempt entry (though I would not recommend Don Muang).

43 minutes ago, BritTim said:

He does not have a long history. Reread his original post. He has been in Thailand for most of the last four months. That would disqualify him in Savaannakhet, but not in Vientiane or Hanoi. He would even have a good chance flying in for a visa exempt entry (though I would not recommend Don Muang).

4-5 months is enough for a refusal now in Vientiane. That's also enough now for a likely refusal in Hanoi and to be issued with the 'Go home to your own country' leaflet. People need to get in their heads that 3-4 entry's now back to back, is mostly the end of it regarding tourist visas and visa exempt entry's..

Edited by Lovethailandelite
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just reading this thread makes you realise how ridiculous the overseas Thai visa system is. Why can't there be some consistency? If, for example, embassies offered more options than consulates it would be understandable but it's just a total hotchpotch, and of course any office can change its rules overnight!

I just wondered whether any other countries work in such ways?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was probably a bad idea to attempt to get a 2nd SETV WHILE you still had days left on your 1st. That amplifies the back-to-back perception that they don't like. I stayed in the Phillipines for 30 days between my 1 1st SETV (+30 days) and a 2nd SETV (+30 days). They were still slightly peeved that i was coming back after only 1 month away.

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

Just reading this thread makes you realise how ridiculous the overseas Thai visa system is. Why can't there be some consistency? If, for example, embassies offered more options than consulates it would be understandable but it's just a total hotchpotch, and of course any office can change its rules overnight!

I just wondered whether any other countries work in such ways?

All countries act this way. Where the embassies are located and which passport the applicant holds are among the many factors that effect the likelihood someone might get a visa. Of course the embassy staff use their discretion. That's what they're paid to do. 

People le seem to want officialdom to follow the letter of the written regulations when it benefits them, but want flexible rule bending when that works to their advantage.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

That's also enough now for a likely refusal in Hanoi and to be issued with the 'Go home to your own country' leaflet.

I doubt it. Certain Non-ED visa applicants have been given such a leaflet in Hanoi, advising them to apply for their education visa in their home country instead. I don't recall any reports of this leaflet being given to a tourist visa applicant, on the other hand. I also haven't seen any reports about an uptick in refusals there. It's a quiet place; they certainly don't seem to be overrun by applicants.

I got my latest SETV from Hanoi myself and my history was more extensive than the OP's, all clearly visible in my passport for all to see - zero questions and no problems, but do make sure that you have everything they list on their website.

Thank you to everyone for the info.

I've got a bit to consider now.

Really leaning towards heading straight back to the States. 

All of this caught me off guard.

I wasn't thinking that anything about the visas was a huge deal because of my experiences 6 years ago. I stayed in and traveled back and forth through and from Thailand back in 2010 to 2013. I was in country for 2 1/2 years total out of those four years and never had an issue with obtaining back to back ... visas. Back the I, more or less, used Thailand for my travels all over SEA, Europe and the Middle East. 

Edited by DaveK68

I do have one more question, though. Possibly no one knows.

When the consulate refuses an SETV, do they annotate this in whatever system they have?

I have an acquaintance who "border runs" every thirty days. He says he goes to a different border crossing each time. I wonder, now, how long he will be successful at this. He's been doing it for 4 or 5 months now. I haven't heard of him having any issues.

2 hours ago, FalangJaiDee said:

It was probably a bad idea to attempt to get a 2nd SETV WHILE you still had days left on your 1st. That amplifies the back-to-back perception that they don't like. 

That never crossed my mind. I guess it should have. 

I was thinking more along the lines that Thailand would want the revenue from having tourists spending in their country. It seems that Thailand is on a bent that somewhat discourages long term tourism. The more desired tourist is the guy who gets in and out for a quick bang. That's cool. It's their country. 

I should have done a bit more research instead of blithely and obliviously assuming that all was the same as before.

3 hours ago, DaveK68 said:

That never crossed my mind. I guess it should have. 

I was thinking more along the lines that Thailand would want the revenue from having tourists spending in their country. It seems that Thailand is on a bent that somewhat discourages long term tourism. The more desired tourist is the guy who gets in and out for a quick bang. That's cool. It's their country. 

I should have done a bit more research instead of blithely and obliviously assuming that all was the same as before.

Thai immigration prefers visas obtained in a home country. If you had started with a SETV obtained in the US, everything had been easier. 

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Thai immigration prefers visas obtained in a home country. If you had started with a SETV obtained in the US, everything had been easier. 

I've been overseas for nearly two decades. I work mostly in the ME.

I absolutely abhor returning to Fortress America. lol

I love the USA and I am annoyed by the USA simultaneously.