BANGKOK
britishjohn

getting a driving licence - address notification

It's only been a few days since I spent the day at Chaengwattana and already I feel the overwhelming urge to return.

I want to apply for a driving licence and I'm told the first step is to obtain a residence certificate, whatever that is. And one of the pieces of paper I need to take to obtain that is a receipt of address notification. 

Can someone tell me what that is ? Is that the same thing as a TM30 receipt ?

• Like 1

No. It is not a TM30. In the template section of the forum you will find the form for a resident certificate,  You have to bring your TM30 and your lease to immigration.  You need to make a copy of the TM30, and you have to make a copy of your main passport page, your departure card, your most recent entry stamp, and your visa stamp.  It arrives via post in an estimated two weeks.  Cost is 400 baht.

It's called "certificate of residence". But CW will only issue you one if you have done a 90 days report there.

Well since posting i was doing some research and apparently you do need to take a copy of the TM30 signed by the landlord. Which ain't gonna be easy as he doesn't live in the country. Also my TM30 was done online and all I have is a copy of the screenshot.

22 minutes ago, britishjohn said:

Well since posting i was doing some research and apparently you do need to take a copy of the TM30 signed by the landlord. Which ain't gonna be easy as he doesn't live in the country. Also my TM30 was done online and all I have is a copy of the screenshot.

You can obtain CR from your embassy. However not cheap.

29 minutes ago, jackdd said:

It's called "certificate of residence". But CW will only issue you one if you have done a 90 days report there.

You sure about that! I've been here 7 yr on extensions of stay. Never done a 90 day report. I'm under impression that to obtain CR at CW, I would need lease etc (perhaps tm30 to be on safe side). I deal with CW. Certainly not a 90 day report.

Edited by DrJack54

This is why people get the yellow tabien book, so you don't have to get a "certificate of residence" again and again.

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You sure about that! I've been here 7 yr on extensions of stay. Never done a 90 day report. I'm under impression that to obtain CR at CW, I would need lease etc (perhaps tm30 to be on safe side). I deal with CW. Certainly not a 90 day report.

Yes, CW is special in this regard, see for example:

That's only one requirement, a TM30 or lease may of course be required additionally.

I guess it was too much work for them to issue a COR for all the tourists who wanted to get a motorbike driving license. Afaik there is no other immigration office in Thailand which has this requirement.

Edited by jackdd

8 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Yes, CW is special in this regard, see for example:

That's only one requirement, a TM30 or lease may of course be required additionally.

I guess it was too much work for them to issue a COR for all the tourists who wanted to get a motorbike driving license. Afaik there is no other immigration office in Thailand which has this requirement.

Read that thread...it seem completely bonkers. Luckily I have done a 90 day rep, which is unusual as I normally travel a bit. I'm still not certain about the TM 30 requirement. 

Someone said you might be able to employ an agent to get the CR. And having done that then employ another agent to the driving licence !

I've just done this recently... got a certificate of residence letter from an immigration office for 500, and went to the Thai driving licence office. I didn't get asked for or about anything else mentioned here.

7 minutes ago, codebunny said:

I've just done this recently... got a certificate of residence letter from an immigration office for 500, and went to the Thai driving licence office. I didn't get asked for or about anything else mentioned hhe

Was this at CW? If not it's bit irrelevant.

If yes then OP has his answer.

BTW what did you show at your imm office. Lease etc tm30?

You mention "didn't get asked for or about anything.."

In other words I show up at at CW, slap 500baht on table and take my CR away in pocket!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Bangkok immigration will not issue a CR to anybody not doing 90 days reports. I cannot remember a time when they did. If they ever did, it was a long time ago. Australians in Bangkok not doing 90 days reports have an even bigger issue as the Australian embassy no longer issues them either.

Just now, Lovethailandelite said:

Bangkok immigration will not issue a CR to anybody not doing 90 days reports. I cannot remember a time when they did. If they ever did, it was a long time ago. Australians in Bangkok not doing 90 days reports have an even bigger issue as the Australian embassy no longer issues them either.

Yes your correct. Pumping your post to confirm that OZ embassy do not provide CR for their citizens. Very pi##pour.

Leaves me personally in bad situation if CW will not do without 90 day report.

Hoping that's not the case.