getting a driving licence - address notification

It's only been a few days since I spent the day at Chaengwattana and already I feel the overwhelming urge to return.

I want to apply for a driving licence and I'm told the first step is to obtain a residence certificate, whatever that is. And one of the pieces of paper I need to take to obtain that is a receipt of address notification. 

Can someone tell me what that is ? Is that the same thing as a TM30 receipt ?

• Like 1

No. It is not a TM30. In the template section of the forum you will find the form for a resident certificate,  You have to bring your TM30 and your lease to immigration.  You need to make a copy of the TM30, and you have to make a copy of your main passport page, your departure card, your most recent entry stamp, and your visa stamp.  It arrives via post in an estimated two weeks.  Cost is 400 baht.

Well since posting i was doing some research and apparently you do need to take a copy of the TM30 signed by the landlord. Which ain't gonna be easy as he doesn't live in the country. Also my TM30 was done online and all I have is a copy of the screenshot.

22 minutes ago, britishjohn said:

Well since posting i was doing some research and apparently you do need to take a copy of the TM30 signed by the landlord. Which ain't gonna be easy as he doesn't live in the country. Also my TM30 was done online and all I have is a copy of the screenshot.

You can obtain CR from your embassy. However not cheap.

29 minutes ago, jackdd said:

It's called "certificate of residence". But CW will only issue you one if you have done a 90 days report there.

You sure about that! I've been here 7 yr on extensions of stay. Never done a 90 day report. I'm under impression that to obtain CR at CW, I would need lease etc (perhaps tm30 to be on safe side). I deal with CW. Certainly not a 90 day report.

Edited by DrJack54

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You sure about that! I've been here 7 yr on extensions of stay. Never done a 90 day report. I'm under impression that to obtain CR at CW, I would need lease etc (perhaps tm30 to be on safe side). I deal with CW. Certainly not a 90 day report.

Yes, CW is special in this regard, see for example:

That's only one requirement, a TM30 or lease may of course be required additionally.

I guess it was too much work for them to issue a COR for all the tourists who wanted to get a motorbike driving license. Afaik there is no other immigration office in Thailand which has this requirement.

Edited by jackdd

8 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Yes, CW is special in this regard, see for example:

That's only one requirement, a TM30 or lease may of course be required additionally.

I guess it was too much work for them to issue a COR for all the tourists who wanted to get a motorbike driving license. Afaik there is no other immigration office in Thailand which has this requirement.

Read that thread...it seem completely bonkers. Luckily I have done a 90 day rep, which is unusual as I normally travel a bit. I'm still not certain about the TM 30 requirement. 

Someone said you might be able to employ an agent to get the CR. And having done that then employ another agent to the driving licence !

7 minutes ago, codebunny said:

I've just done this recently... got a certificate of residence letter from an immigration office for 500, and went to the Thai driving licence office. I didn't get asked for or about anything else mentioned hhe

Was this at CW? If not it's bit irrelevant.

If yes then OP has his answer.

BTW what did you show at your imm office. Lease etc tm30?

You mention "didn't get asked for or about anything.."

In other words I show up at at CW, slap 500baht on table and take my CR away in pocket!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Bangkok immigration will not issue a CR to anybody not doing 90 days reports. I cannot remember a time when they did. If they ever did, it was a long time ago. Australians in Bangkok not doing 90 days reports have an even bigger issue as the Australian embassy no longer issues them either.

Just now, Lovethailandelite said:

Bangkok immigration will not issue a CR to anybody not doing 90 days reports. I cannot remember a time when they did. If they ever did, it was a long time ago. Australians in Bangkok not doing 90 days reports have an even bigger issue as the Australian embassy no longer issues them either.

Yes your correct. Pumping your post to confirm that OZ embassy do not provide CR for their citizens. Very pi##pour.

Leaves me personally in bad situation if CW will not do without 90 day report.

Hoping that's not the case.

2 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

No. It is not a TM30. In the template section of the forum you will find the form for a resident certificate,  You have to bring your TM30 and your lease to immigration.  You need to make a copy of the TM30, and you have to make a copy of your main passport page, your departure card, your most recent entry stamp, and your visa stamp.  It arrives via post in an estimated two weeks.  Cost is 400 baht.

Where is the template area please? I could find downloads but didn't see the form for resident cert.

43 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

In other words I show up at at CW, slap 500baht on table and take my CR away in pocket!

It's not irrelevant at all. I drove up near CW today actually; did all the paperwork last week.

The title of the letter is translated as a "Confirmation of Residence of Foreigner" and "To Whom It May Concern" letter that you get when you tick the box stating you want to apply for a DL. The Thai words are not the same as the Certificate of Residence letter, even though it looks very similar.

The only thing needed is a signed copy of the Tabian Barn you have permission of the owner to be resident at, a signed copy of their ID card, and couple of photos, and the copy of your passport ID page, a copy of your visa page, and a copy of your TM6 with the address you have permission to stay at (as on the Tabian Barn). You take it to the immigration office of the place you stay, and pay 500, done in about 10 minutes. None of this 90 reporting, TM30, or CR stuff is relevant.

Take this Confirmation letter with your medical certificate (that you can get even at beauty clinics). and your passport to the Driving office, take a couple more copies; and then fill in the forms, and see the nice lady, and not long after, you're all sorted. 

This is just what I experienced... a letter entitled:

"คนต่างด้าวแจ้งที่พักอาศัย"

There's some info on here, but the Thai version of the site doesn't have anything about the specifics of the regulations that I can find, maybe it's tucked away somewhere.

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/two-year-license/

These might be also be useful:

http://www.thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf

http://driving-in-thailand.com/motor-vehicle-act/#03

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Vehicle_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf

Edited by codebunny

1 hour ago, codebunny said:

It's not irrelevant at all. I drove up near CW today actually; did all the paperwork last week.

The title of the letter is translated as a "Confirmation of Residence of Foreigner" and "To Whom It May Concern" letter that you get when you tick the box stating you want to apply for a DL. The Thai words are not the same as the Certificate of Residence letter, even though it looks very similar.

The only thing needed is a signed copy of the Tabian Barn you have permission of the owner to be resident at, a signed copy of their ID card, and couple of photos, and the copy of your passport ID page, a copy of your visa page, and a copy of your TM6 with the address you have permission to stay at (as on the Tabian Barn). You take it to the immigration office of the place you stay, and pay 500, done in about 10 minutes. None of this 90 reporting, TM30, or CR stuff is relevant.

Take this Confirmation letter with your medical certificate (that you can get even at beauty clinics). and your passport to the Driving office, take a couple more copies; and then fill in the forms, and see the nice lady, and not long after, you're all sorted. 

So you're saying the condo owner has to provide a signed copy of his ID ? If so I may as well forget going this route, he's not even in the country.

Apparently the UK embassy will provide an affirmation of residency for £50. From what I can make out all I would need to bring is a bank statement or a copy of a bill with my name and address on it. Seems odd the Thais won't accept something like this also, but there's zero point in trying to apply any logic...

11 hours ago, BangersandMash said:

Where is the template area please? I could find downloads but didn't see the form for resident cert.

Forum home —> visa and immigrations forums —> Thai visas, residency and work permits (immigration templates is pinned)... if you scroll down to the third post in immigration templates, you will see a link to application for certificate of residency... you can also buy one for a few baht at a copy shop inside CW, one floor below the immigration office

Edited by Ramen087

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Although you didn’t quote me, I’ll reply. I qualified for a resident certificate the second week of January 2020 at CW in BKK. The initial IO carefully checked every page of my lease, and even determined if it was an original and not a copy. Same for my TM30. Only then was I sent to the section manager/supervisor for final approval of the certificate. It only arrives via Thai post office, as per the section manager/supervisor. Four hundred baht was the cost. 

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

This stuff is so confusing with so many conflicting requirements.

Allow me to explain my partincular situation and maybe those answers will help some other people.

Will be entering thailand on a brand new non-o multi 1 year (married to thai)

..Rent a house in korat, both names on lease

..i dont stay more than a month as i still work in australia (month on month off)

i also was keen on getting a drivers licence that needs a certificate of residence.

So please answer these points or say if they are correct or not.

- multi entry is 3 month stay, so no 90 day report, how to get a CR?

- landlord report TM30, i dont want to bother my land lord much and have read that because i have the lease i can report myself as the house master.

- class of licence, in australia i hold a RN (restricted) motorbike licence that means nothing over 650. A multi combination truck licence (any truck with multiple trailers)

What licence class would i end up getting in LOS? Would like to retain my truck licence.

could someone confirm the 90-day report requirement for CW?

must provide 90-day report at CW for current residence anytime in the recent past, or MUST be after latest entry?

otherwise.....is us embassy still providing residency certificates?  if so, what docs are needed (if any), and is that accepted by DLT?

....or what's the going rate to have an agent handle car/bike license 5yr renewals???

Edited by ChouDoufu

I was given the name of an agent to get me a licence, but they told me I'd still need to get the residence cert and medical cert. So I'm not entirely sure what benefit come from paying them. They want 2,900 baht to convert my UK licence to a Thai. 

Dunno about US embassy, but UK just want a utility bill or bank statement in my name which is what I'm familiar with to show your address. But yes DLT will accept that and the agent seem to think that was the better way for some reason.

34 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

could someone confirm the 90-day report requirement for CW?

must provide 90-day report at CW for current residence anytime in the recent past, or MUST be after latest entry?

otherwise.....is us embassy still providing residency certificates?  if so, what docs are needed (if any), and is that accepted by DLT?

....or what's the going rate to have an agent handle car/bike license 5yr renewals???

This is probably one of the most confusing posts on this thread. Please clarify properly what you are asking, so your post can be replied to correctly.

required to show a 90-day report at CW to get the residence certificate.

does it have to be dated AFTER the LATEST entry to thailand?

or can it be BEFORE the latest entry, if at same address?

[only spend summers in bangkok, no 90-day reports for 2 years.]

2 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

required to show a 90-day report at CW to get the residence certificate.

does it have to be dated AFTER the LATEST entry to thailand?

or can it be BEFORE the latest entry, if at same address?

[only spend summers in bangkok, no 90-day reports for 2 years.]

Much better. I dont use CW, but I'm sure you will be answered by a knowledgeable

CW person. I will be interested in the answer also.

On 1/19/2020 at 11:21 PM, codebunny said:

The only thing needed is a signed copy of the Tabian Barn you have permission of the owner to be resident at, a signed copy of their ID card

Which would be equivalent to a lease.

So your previous post in which you said you didn't need anything was obviously wrong.