Cheap cheese in the Makro

Thian

I noticed many new american cheeses in the Makro for a reasonable price...cheddar for 325 a kg isn't bad...and parmesan for 800 a kg...

Is this because of a trade deal between USA and Thailand?

Are those cheeses any good? I bought a piece of 18 months old cheddar but i already don't believe it's really 18 months old.

Any of you tried those cheeses?

I hope they are good , because good cheese at a reasonable price is very hard to find in Thailand , especially away from cities and tourist spots . Make sure you check the use by or made date ( if you can believe it ) , because Macro's cheese is very often old .

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I believe I've seen the U.S. cheese brand called Tillamook in the past in Makros, and Tillamook is a pretty darned good cheese, especially their sharp and extra sharp cheddars. But dunno if that was the brand you saw.

I wish they still carried it....Their Monterrey Jack is outstanding....Haven't seen it there in years.....The wife loves it when we hit the states....

We've been buying some by the half brick that we're happy with that's like a MJ.....

22 minutes ago, gimo said:

I hope they are good , because good cheese at a reasonable price is very hard to find in Thailand , especially away from cities and tourist spots . Make sure you check the use by or made date ( if you can believe it ) , because Macro's cheese is very often old .

Well i was at a party yesterday with only thai and they had 3 kinds of cheese, the guy had made a clay pizzaoven himself and we ate pizza...they were good!

He also had that cheddar from 325 a kg and it was ok on a pizza. So the Thai also eat cheese now! He lives in the ricefields just outside BKK...

I hope i like that cheese so i don't have to bring it anymore from Europe. 

23 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I believe I've seen the U.S. cheese brand called Tillamook in the past in Makros, and Tillamook is a pretty darned good cheese, especially their sharp and extra sharp cheddars. But dunno if that was the brand you saw.

It was this one for 260 baht iirc...

aged-cheddar.jpg

But look at the flavour strength slider, it's only halfway and that for a 18 months old cheese? Old amsterdam is about the same age and sure has a strong taste.

Edited by Thian

23 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

You might find that standards in the USA for cheese are somewhat lax.

Parmesan? What is that? Try to find a standard for Parmesan in the USA.

Parmigiano-Reggiano has very specific standards.

Parmigiano was also in the makro...1000 for a kilo....and it looked real...or it was 1000 for 1300 gram i forgot...But that price isn't so bad for a good parmigiano...in Thailand i mean.

I picked up a 2kg+ piece of mozzarella at Macro on Saturday, nothing special as far as flavour, but (really) decent mozzarella for homemade pizzas.  

As side question: I just got back home after a longer than expected trip (work), and can't seem to find "spreadable" butter anywhere.  Something up in Thailand all of a sudden?  Anyone find it in their area? 

Just now, stuandjulie said:

Thian, your comment 'I noticed many new american cheeses in the Makro for a reasonable price...cheddar for 325 a kg isn't bad...and parmesan for 800 a kg... '

Hate to tell you this Thian but Cheddar is not American, neither is Parmesan.

Oh i see, where is cheddar from then? Parmesan is from italy i know that but maybe you americans copied it?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

I picked up a 2kg+ piece of mozzarella at Macro on Saturday, nothing special as far as flavour, but (really) decent mozzarella for homemade pizzas.  

As side question: I just got back home after a longer than expected trip (work), and can't seem to find "spreadable" butter anywhere.  Something up in Thailand all of a sudden?  Anyone find it in their area? 

I have a new trick, i buy flat round breads in yamazaki (they look like flat round donuts) and i fill them with butter and cheese...then put them in the toaster for 2 minutes and eat....very nice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thian said:

The butter here is very hard, those wrapped blocks i mean....i spread it on frozen bread which is easyier.

Foodland has softer margarine but i don't like it and it's very expensive. I only eat real butter without palm oil (you have to check that).

I hear ya.  I have "blocks" of normal butter in the fridge, but usually buy a small container of "soft spreadable" butter...can't seem to find it anywhere now....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Save yourself some money that's only 209 baht in Tesco and 175 occasionally in BigC. Just a suggestion.

Ya, I thought 260b per package would be a bit high compared to prices I've seen for it elsewhere, and comparable other imported cheeses sold here. I'm not sure that particular brand is worth a premium over other available imports.

Villa market:

1789929471_2020-01-1922_17_38.jpg.ab3a2640bdfdb82b8df9dfcb30212bb1.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Mainland is a brand that's pretty common to find in various of the expat supermarkets here... apart from Makro....

8 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Save yourself some money that's only 209 baht in Tesco and 175 occasionally in BigC. Just a suggestion.

I see, well i thought it was cheap for 260...too cheap to be honest...Old Amsterdam costs more than that in Holland and is about the same age...It sure costs much more in BKK.

Well i still have to try this one, hopefully i like it....it doesn't like very aged though...and the mild flavour also doesn't predict much good for a 18 months old cheese.

57 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

plenty of good cheap cheese in SIAMBURYS

That is great IF you live in Pattaya but I live about 450 km away. It tends to get a bit expensive for a piece of cheese.

19 minutes ago, Thian said:

deleted post

• Haha 1

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Ya, I thought 260b per package would be a bit high compared to prices I've seen for it elsewhere, and comparable other imported cheeses sold here. I'm not sure that particular brand is worth a premium over other available imports.

Well i bought a bag of macadamia nuts on a fair last week, 200 baht iirc...or 220....Today i saw the same bag in the Makro for 300...so the Makro isn't that cheap at all.

1 minute ago, Thian said:

Well i bought a bag of macadamia nuts on a fair last week, 200 baht iirc...or 220....Today i saw the same bag in the Makro for 300...so the Makro isn't that cheap at all.

Totally agree, there are many products they sell that can be purchased in Tesco and  Big C for lower prices.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Thian said:

I have a new trick, i buy flat round breads in yamazaki (they look like flat round donuts) and i fill them with butter and cheese...then put them in the toaster for 2 minutes and eat....very nice.

I'm trying to visualize that product from Yamazaki... Can you post a photo?

24 minutes ago, Thian said:

Parmigiano was also in the makro...1000 for a kilo....and it looked real...or it was 1000 for 1300 gram i forgot...But that price isn't so bad for a good parmigiano...in Thailand i mean.

I will check next time I'm there....if it is Parmigiano-Reggiano or not.

Not that I would buy it, as I have my own supply of 36 month Parmigiano-Reggiano.