Jump to content

Cheap cheese in the Makro


Recommended Posts

I noticed many new american cheeses in the Makro for a reasonable price...cheddar for 325 a kg isn't bad...and parmesan for 800 a kg...

 

Is this because of a trade deal between USA and Thailand?

 

Are those cheeses any good? I bought a piece of 18 months old cheddar but i already don't believe it's really 18 months old.

 

Any of you tried those cheeses?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

plenty of good cheap cheese in SIAMBURYS

Save yourself some money that's only 209 baht in Tesco and 175 occasionally in BigC. Just a suggestion.

You’re thinking of the 250g blocks in Tesco.  The ฿260 blocks in Makro are 470g.

Posted Images

I hope they are good , because good cheese at a reasonable price is very hard to find in Thailand , especially away from cities and tourist spots . Make sure you check the use by or made date ( if you can believe it ) , because Macro's cheese is very often old .

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe I've seen the U.S. cheese brand called Tillamook in the past in Makros, and Tillamook is a pretty darned good cheese, especially their sharp and extra sharp cheddars. But dunno if that was the brand you saw.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

You might find that standards in the USA for cheese are somewhat lax.

 

Parmesan? What is that? Try to find a standard for Parmesan in the USA.

 

Parmigiano-Reggiano has very specific standards.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I believe I've seen the U.S. cheese brand called Tillamook in the past in Makros, and Tillamook is a pretty darned good cheese, especially their sharp and extra sharp cheddars. But dunno if that was the brand you saw.

 

I wish they still carried it....Their Monterrey Jack is outstanding....Haven't seen it there in years.....The wife loves it when we hit the states....

We've been buying some by the half brick that we're happy with that's like a MJ.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, gimo said:

I hope they are good , because good cheese at a reasonable price is very hard to find in Thailand , especially away from cities and tourist spots . Make sure you check the use by or made date ( if you can believe it ) , because Macro's cheese is very often old .

Well i was at a party yesterday with only thai and they had 3 kinds of cheese, the guy had made a clay pizzaoven himself and we ate pizza...they were good!

 

He also had that cheddar from 325 a kg and it was ok on a pizza. So the Thai also eat cheese now! He lives in the ricefields just outside BKK...

 

I hope i like that cheese so i don't have to bring it anymore from Europe. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I believe I've seen the U.S. cheese brand called Tillamook in the past in Makros, and Tillamook is a pretty darned good cheese, especially their sharp and extra sharp cheddars. But dunno if that was the brand you saw.

 

It was this one for 260 baht iirc...

 

 

aged-cheddar.jpg

 

But look at the flavour strength slider, it's only halfway and that for a 18 months old cheese? Old amsterdam is about the same age and sure has a strong taste.

Edited by Thian
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

 

You might find that standards in the USA for cheese are somewhat lax.

 

Parmesan? What is that? Try to find a standard for Parmesan in the USA.

 

Parmigiano-Reggiano has very specific standards.

Parmigiano was also in the makro...1000 for a kilo....and it looked real...or it was 1000 for 1300 gram i forgot...But that price isn't so bad for a good parmigiano...in Thailand i mean.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up a 2kg+ piece of mozzarella at Macro on Saturday, nothing special as far as flavour, but (really) decent mozzarella for homemade pizzas.  

 

As side question: I just got back home after a longer than expected trip (work), and can't seem to find "spreadable" butter anywhere.  Something up in Thailand all of a sudden?  Anyone find it in their area? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stuandjulie said:

Thian, your comment 'I noticed many new american cheeses in the Makro for a reasonable price...cheddar for 325 a kg isn't bad...and parmesan for 800 a kg... '

Hate to tell you this Thian but Cheddar is not American, neither is Parmesan.

Oh i see, where is cheddar from then? Parmesan is from italy i know that but maybe you americans copied it?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...