Cheap cheese in the Makro

Thian

7 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

I will check next time I'm there....if it is Parmigiano-Reggiano or not.

Not that I would buy it, as I have my own supply of 36 month Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Well we were in italy last year and for fun i walked into a supermarket...i saw the parmigiano for 10-11 euro a kg there which is very cheap, it costs double in Holland.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And has a hole in the middle like a donut or not?

Yamazaki doesn't sell theirs frozen, right? You're just freezing it after taking home?

No hole, just a flat round bread...I always check if their breads are baked that day and buy loads of it for the freezer...then i go to breadtalk and do the same there but they don't have much  that i like..i do like their raisin bread and french bread though and they freeze well...

1 minute ago, Thian said:

No hole, just a flat round bread...I always check if their breads are baked that day and buy loads of it for the freezer...then i go to breadtalk and do the same there but they don't have much  that i like..i do like their raisin bread and french bread though and they freeze well...

St. Etoile shops and the Central Market and farang-area Tops bakeries sell similar kind of bread rounds/rolls. Though I can't tell from your photo whether the Yamazaki ones are their typically sweet bread style, or the more regular non-sweetened wheat bread type roll. The ones I see elsewhere like that are regular rolls, not the sweeter, softer Japanese style.

26 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

St. Etoile shops and the Central Market and farang-area Tops bakeries sell similar kind of bread rounds/rolls. Though I can't tell from your photo whether the Yamazaki ones are their typically sweet bread style, or the more regular non-sweetened wheat bread type roll. The ones I see elsewhere like that are regular rolls, not the sweeter, softer Japanese style.

This bread is not sweet....yamazaki also has very nice butter rolls but they are tiny...if those are fresh they are also very nice.

St Etoile has more than a regular yamazaki, i also like their pain de campagne, the large round bread.

7 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Real cheese usually gets  more flavour with age. A cheese  with a use  by date?  Not real cheese !

Even old Amsterdam has a expiry date i believe...and yes older cheese tastes much better..or cheese from raw milk which is also great, farmers cheese.

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

I've found that only the Mainland vintage cheddar has a nice strong taste, the rest of their cheeses suck

i see, will try that as well...i almost run out of dutch frozen cheese so have to find a solution soon...

Just now, Thian said:

yes almost half a kilo...but the block is not a wedge so it's not from a round cheese i guess.

I was referring to the price quote by CharlieH, not the shape.   Not sure why the 470g label is just a sticker covering the original 500g marking.

Why is it  that people are  sucked in to the belief  that Best before etc  date are  a  Gospel of food safety? They  actually only are  Manufacturers nominated  dates  required  by regulations that for the  most part are totally ridiculous  but provide liabilities  under  certain  circumstances.

Consider the ridiculousness of consumer logic when applied to the purchase of a 1 kg block of  hard cheese.

Yes . Is ok because the use by, best by  date is  tomorrow  so is  guaranteed  safe. Yes?

Hello?

So in  the  average  household you are going to consume  a whole 1 kg  block of hard cheese  with   2  days  because  for some  magical reason  after that it will be poison!

Moronic !

Dry aged  meat? 120  days old  but   consume  by date is   next week!

Duh!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thian said:

I noticed many new american cheeses in the Makro for a reasonable price...cheddar for 325 a kg isn't bad...and parmesan for 800 a kg...

Any of you tried those cheeses?

I won't try American Cheddar for the same reason not believing in Spain Gouda or German Champagne ????

But had those 'big bag - house brand' shredded cheese once for the pizza.

Looked so much like molten plastic.

48 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Why is it  that people are  sucked in to the belief  that Best before etc  date are  a  Gospel of food safety? They  actually only are  Manufacturers nominated  dates  required  by regulations that for the  most part are totally ridiculous  but provide liabilities  under  certain  circumstances.

Consider the ridiculousness of consumer logic when applied to the purchase of a 1 kg block of  hard cheese.

Yes . Is ok because the use by, best by  date is  tomorrow  so is  guaranteed  safe. Yes?

Hello?

So in  the  average  household you are going to consume  a whole 1 kg  block of hard cheese  with   2  days  because  for some  magical reason  after that it will be poison!

Moronic !

Duh!

Expiring dates ....! Well for the moment i am using my just 1 before last one package of this Grana Padano (kind of Parmeggiano) cheese for spreading over pizza or spaghetti in excellent condition and bought ....wel May 2018 .... yes 2018!And still in excellent condition no mold on it , however i use it carefully , after using i roll it up before closing the plastic zip closure , so pressing the air outside , and it is stored in fridge (not freezer ) And always put a to use part in a glass bowl  to check if all ok still , to my own surprise it is still O.K after all that time, I think because  in sealed package in selling mode, an zip lock after opening .

I brought this with me by my last visit home country May 2018 in quit a supply with other cheeses an more food (no meat as i dont risk costoms as it is forbidden explicit  because mad cow desease ..)

Grana padano.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thian said:

Even old Amsterdam has a expiry date i believe...and yes older cheese tastes much better..or cheese from raw milk which is also great, farmers cheese.

Depends... If they are sliced in slices, I wouldn't keep them for long.

But a fine block, I still eat it months pass the due date. ????

Sometime my young cheese sweating, then I cleaned in brine and dried it. It then became old and crumble.

Delicious with good mustard (And yeah there is another thread running with mustard teams , I am the brown mustard team 555).

• Like 1

Got a phone message this morning from Villa Market saying today is "National Cheese Day"!!!   Don't think it said WHAT nation has today as its national cheese day. I'm guessing it's not Thailand, but who knows...

In any event, a good day to go out and eat some cheese!!!!  :laugh:

13 hours ago, billd766 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheddar_cheese

The term cheddar cheese is widely used, but has no protected designation of origin within the European Union. However, in 2007 a Protected Designation of Origin, "West Country Farmhouse Cheddar", was created and only Cheddar produced from local milk within Somerset, Dorset, Devon and Cornwall and manufactured using traditional methods may use the name.

I haven't eaten any real Cheddar cheese since about 2004.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Hello?

Moronic !

Duh!

Well Old Amsterdam sure gets green/grey fungus when expired, don't ask me why...it's vacuum packed in the factory. 

I cut the fungus of and still eat but i'm not normal, i can live in Thailand and drink tapwater as well. Pregnant women or oldies or sick ones might get sick from eating it...

And dry aged meat is dried in open air, not in a plastic bag where it will start growing fungus....or do you keep your meat unpacked in the fridge?

3 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

there is only one CHEDDAR, and that is where i came from in the UK, now every Tom Dick and Harry, makes some cheese and calls it Cheddar, Duh !! cant beat a mature strong tangy cheddar from the proper place, one that burns your tongue, lol

It's the same with Gouda cheese, the whole world makes it these days...some are very bland but some are really good, even better than the real thing from Holland.

I have tried cheddar in thailand from Makro many years ago but wasn't impressed. Don't know where it was made, i think they should tell us where it's from.

But i started this thread because i was excited to see so much affordable cheese in the Makro, i hoped and thought it was from a trade agreement between thailand and the USA...Not that i ever had good american cheese but you never know....maybe they also start selling affordable European cheese one day? Would be nice, i hope the USA and EU will force Thailand into that by a trade agreement or stop importing Thai jasmin rice since Basmati rice is even better.

I'm not a big fan of frozen cheese but if it tastes better than ones sold in Thailand i will bring it myself. Cheese and coffee are very important for me.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Save yourself some money that's only 209 baht in Tesco and 175 occasionally in BigC. Just a suggestion.

Your price refers to the well known 250gr packs.

Since a while they sell big 470gr packs (as in the picture) for 260 Baht or so. That's a good price (553 B/kg).

I just bought one of the 24 month old.

It's from New Zealand.

EDIT: another poster was faster.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Save yourself some money that's only 209 baht in Tesco and 175 occasionally in BigC. Just a suggestion.

Tesco and BigC packs were only 250gm last time I bought them.

260bht for 470gm is a bargain.

tesco.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

18 hours ago, Thian said:

It was this one for 260 baht iirc...

aged-cheddar.jpg

But look at the flavour strength slider, it's only halfway and that for a 18 months old cheese? Old amsterdam is about the same age and sure has a strong taste.

It's doubtful that cheese produced by a New Zealand company being available in Makro has anything to do with Thai-US trade deals.

That brand of cheese has been available in Thailand for a long time, it's not a new thing and it is good cheese.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Tesco and BigC packs were only 250gm last time I bought them.

260bht for 470gm is a bargain.

That's quite funny, it just shows exactly the level of this forum.....

First i believed them that Tesco was a lot cheaper....555