Cheap cheese in the Makro

Thian

On 1/19/2020 at 9:52 PM, Thian said:

It was this one for 260 baht iirc...

aged-cheddar.jpg

But look at the flavour strength slider, it's only halfway and that for a 18 months old cheese? Old amsterdam is about the same age and sure has a strong taste.

Any Mainland Brand  cheese is good cheese , especially their Vintage 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, purcho said:

Any Mainland Brand  cheese is good cheese , especially their Vintage 

Have to agree, only problem here is the price, 209 baht in Big C for 200 gr ( maybe 250 gr ? ) slightly cheaper In Makro.

Saw some posters were saying 260 baht for 470 gr !!, made a quick dash to Makro ( Ayutthaya ) no such luck , only the more expensive pack and they have stopped selling that now !!

Bought the Aro 1kg cheddar for 290 baht, while it is edible it’s not a patch on the Mainland stuff .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fulhamster said:

So how does Irish Cheddar work ??????

It has to have the word ~ Irish ~ in front of the word Cheddar.

Same goes for Canadian Etc

And BTW, some of the smaller producers of Cheddar from the area produce Cheeses that are to die for.

On 1/19/2020 at 9:52 AM, Thian said:

look at the flavour strength slider,

Thian, it is obvious you know little about cheese.  First, anybody with knowledge of the English language should be able to understand that the way FLAVOUR is spelt on the package shows the product comes from an English Commonwealth country.  In the USA, which is not in that system it would be FLAVOR.  In fact, Mainland is from New Zealand and is a very good cheese.  Cheddar originated in England and is now the most copied cheese in the world.  As for Parmesan cheese, many companies that manufacture it in the USA and sell it in grated in packages should be aware that they often adulterate it by adding cellulose, sawdust, as a way to prevent the particles from binding in the package.  KRAFT has been the main company guilty of this offence.

'nuf sed.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

it's sold by weight, 1Kg in a chunk or shredded is the same quantity.

That is true....Just never have shopped shredded very much.....We just shred as we go.....

Edited by pgrahmm

3 days ago at Macro: Aro cheddar cheese 290 baht/1 kg, for years it used to sell 375 baht/1 kg.

Everything else is dearer than shopping at Aldi (Australia), unless one buys in bulk, it's not worth it. 

On 1/27/2020 at 10:07 AM, Chrysaora said:

I buy the 2-3 kilo size and not just American Cheese,

There is no real cheese designated as American Cheese.  What you got was a concoction of ingredients that included a small percentage of real cheese.  Even the USA Government do not recognise it as a cheese and state that it must be called and labelled as processed cheese,a cheese product, or a processed cheese product.  Read the label and the list of ingredients because most people don't.  To add to that, fast food places, like Burger King, McDonald's etc., should stop calling their products names like Cheeseburger, because they do not contain real cheese.

'nuf sed.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Thing is it never goes off. You could keep it in a nuclear bunker for 10 years and will still look the same

That's not quite true. I haven't been eating much cheese the last month, and the Aro block of cheese I have in my fridge now has mold.

On 1/20/2020 at 12:31 PM, mercman24 said:

there is only one CHEDDAR, and that is where i came from in the UK, now every Tom Dick and Harry, makes some cheese and calls it Cheddar, Duh !! cant beat a mature strong tangy cheddar from the proper place, one that burns your tongue, lol

I'm from Somerset too and I totally agree, all the other chedders just don't taste the same...

• Like 2

On 1/19/2020 at 9:52 PM, Thian said:

It was this one for 260 baht iirc...

aged-cheddar.jpg

But look at the flavour strength slider, it's only halfway and that for a 18 months old cheese? Old amsterdam is about the same age and sure has a strong taste.

That "Tasty" is a misnomer IMHO. Mainland's "Epicure" and "Vintage" versions are pretty decent though and are priced the same.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

I'm from Somerset too and I totally agree, all the other chedders just don't taste the same...

I too am from Somerset - I find the Mainland Cheddar quite satisfactory, in particular when combined with my home made cider - which the present situation has caused me to take up ptoducing!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Siamburi (Pattaya) have mature white cheddar in stock.........bought a block this week .....nice and sharp...........might be a mistake announcing it to the world....cheese.jpg

I also thought it was a very very decent cheese for the price.

I wish Siamburi's would deliver to Bangkok via the bus.

17 hours ago, JAG said:

I too am from Somerset - I find the Mainland Cheddar quite satisfactory, in particular when combined with my home made cider - which the present situation has caused me to take up ptoducing!

I used to drink lots of cider, mostly Taunton traditional drought, You knew it wasn't fresh if it wasn't orange and you could see through it. I have Diabetes now alas, so I can't drink it now, too much sugar and carbs, even if you make it without putting any in. This has made me start to seriously think of brewing my own beer and wine though, it can't come out tasting much worse than the rubbish you buy here surely...

Yesterday Makro Lad Prau got two 500 grams Norwegian smoked salmon slabs 550 baht each and couple of very nice Aro brand Ricotta cheese 250 grams 75 baht made in Nakhon Rachasima 1.5 kg NZ roast lamb ready to cook 580 baht, let nearly 5,000 baht there but most of their stuff are good value..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zyphodb said:

I used to drink lots of cider, mostly Taunton traditional drought, You knew it wasn't fresh if it wasn't orange and you could see through it. I have Diabetes now alas, so I can't drink it now, too much sugar and carbs, even if you make it without putting any in. This has made me start to seriously think of brewing my own beer and wine though, it can't come out tasting much worse than the rubbish you buy here surely...

Back in the day a flagon of Old Rosie was the cheapest way of getting <deleted> short of hitting the hardware shops IIRC.

• Like 2

Back in the day, (I'm talking 70's/80's), We used to go to any number of local farms with our own gallon containers and get it filled up for anything from 1.50 to 2.50 quid. You certainly knew you'd drunk something when you got started on 'proper job' rough...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have been to Marko in Chaeng Wattana but l noticed a *Makro food service* the other day while driving.

Do they stock the same items in the food service store just without the bulk buying option?

Asking as this is a Makro thread.

Many thanks.

On 5/2/2020 at 1:32 PM, zyphodb said:

Back in the day, (I'm talking 70's/80's), We used to go to any number of local farms with our own gallon containers and get it filled up for anything from 1.50 to 2.50 quid. You certainly knew you'd drunk something when you got started on 'proper job' rough...

5 litre of raw milk (in a plastic bag) from the Thai-Danish dairy is 130bht.

Not much more than you paid in the 70s/80s.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2