Nearly three-fourths of people worried about drought: poll

webfact

By The Nation

800_b2e6f3be79e6e90.jpg?v=1579405648

file photo

A great majority of people in the country are concerned about the drought situation, an opinion survey by Bangkok University showed.

The Bangkok Poll survey showed that 72.5 per cent of the 1,182 respondents nationwide expressed worry about the drought this year.

The survey found that the majority of people -- 50.5 per cent -- are concerned about farmers’ income due to damage to agriculture because of the drought while 49.1 per cent were worried about supply of drinking water. Nearly 49 per cent worried about agricultural products becoming more expensive.

When asked how worried they were about the drought, expected to be the second most severe since 1979, 72.5 per cent said they were very worried while 27.5 per cent had no concerns.

About 81.5 per cent of people said they were prepared to cope with the drought, while 67.8 per cent planned to use water more economically.

Some 20 per cent said they had stocked up on drinking water and 18 per cent said they had bought water tanks. Meanwhile, 18.5 per cent said they had not made any preparations and thought there would be enough water.

When asked about the impact of the drought on their lives and careers, 53.3 per cent believed it would be severe while 46.7 per cent did not think it would be much.

Asked about their confidence in the Office of the National Water Resources to tackle the drought so that Thai people would have water throughout the year, a great majority -- 57 per cent -- had little faith in their abilities while 43 per cent believed that they would solve the problem.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380787

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

And, do you think any of those responsible matter? As long as they allow sugar factories to use water as they please and allow the use of hectoliters of water to "clean" the streets ...

11 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

One would think that a nation having an air force fleet dedicated to rainmaking would never have a drought worry.

Indeed! if everyone wasn't so firmly behind the "government" and their efforts to bring relief in the war against drought & pollution, you could suspect that the "Royal Rainmaking initiative" was just another publicity stunt to avert attention away from the lack of action being taken ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CGW said:

Indeed! if everyone wasn't so firmly behind the "government" and their efforts to bring relief in the war against drought & pollution, you could suspect that the "Royal Rainmaking initiative" was just another publicity stunt to avert attention away from the lack of action being taken ????

indeed, according to many thais cloud seeding was developed/invented here in thailand, ignoring the fact that there has been scientific interest and development of cloud seeding since the middle of the last century - and it did not take place in thailand.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, englishoak said:

Seems the the main concerns are on the Govs ability to handle a water crisis effectively. Seems about right to me. 

concerns about Govs ability to handle the water crisis and any other crisis.... they don't know how and what to do

5 hours ago, legend49 said:

And Songkran will proceed as normal, that's different water I guess.

I made similar proposal, stop throwing water on Songkram, and some readers found that very offensive, I guess some posters/readers here don't like creative criticism... it appears that more than 2 people have similar water savings ideas they may be open minded to accept our proposal 555  (sarcasm intended)

Edited by Mavideol
sarcasm intended

30 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

Explain to me, how 4 days of Songkhran make up for the other 361 days of water-  mismanagement?!

Exactly! Thai's are a very superstitious people - for better or worse! they have their belief system and Songkran is a very integral part of their year - moving onto the next year. I'm sure they don't appreciate "expats" telling them what a waste of water this is, we are a minority, if the Thai community in "your" country told you to stop doing something that has been practised for hundreds of years, don't believe many would welcome the advice, no matter how well meaning it was.

Waste of water? where does it go? in drains on the land in most areas, it doesn't just disappear! I have looked at reservoir levels on TMD website before and after Songkran - you guessed it - No difference!

The last couple of years it has rained at Songkran, maybe the spirits & rain Gods are enjoying watching people have fun & rewarding them ???? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

I made similar proposal, stop throwing water on Songkram, and some readers found that very offensive, I guess some posters/readers here don't like creative criticism... it appears that more than 2 people have similar water savings ideas they may be open minded to accept our proposal 555  (sarcasm intended)

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of Songkran.

Aid will only be considered if it includes ( but not limited to )

Rough numbers of those chucking water about.

Estimate of how many showers the number of people will take on the days of Songkran.

Number of showers that won't be taken ( some people might be wet for most of the days )

Estimate of how much extra water will be used to produce the extra beer required during Songkran. ( extra ice manufacture to cool the extra beer can be factored in ).

Extra water drunk to help clear thick heads each morning.

Using the figures from all above, and any others I've missed produce graphs showing how much water is lost per head in the Kingdom.

All posters are invited to enter.

Edited by overherebc
  • Haha 2

On 1/20/2020 at 6:45 AM, Mavideol said:

I made similar proposal, stop throwing water on Songkram, and some readers found that very offensive

Because it is nonsense. How much water does a 10m x 10m rice field need? And how much does a person or a city "use" during Songkran? Sorry, you have serious math problems ...