Toxic dust situation in Bangkok worsens

webfact

By The Nation

800_8f3e0d9357699f3.jpg?v=1579408303

The air pollution in Bangkok worsened on Sunday with high levels of PM2.5 in all areas and Phra Nakhon district being the worst affected.

The Pollution Control Department together with the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration studied the situation of particlulate matter not more than 2.5 microns in diameter (PM2.5) in Bangkok and its suburbs through the website and application Air4Thai from 54 stations.

It found that the amount of dust in the air overall had increased in all areas compared to Saturday (January 18). The amount of dust in 46 areas was at a level unhealthy for sensitive groups (Orange area) while the situation was more serious (Red area) on Samsen Road in Phra Nakhon district.

People in the "Red" area have been advised to reduce outdoor activities and closely monitor the dust situation.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380789

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-20

I live on very high floor in the middle part of Sukhumvit Rd. with many ongoing high rise constructions all around us, lately i noticed large particles of debris white in color coming into my apartment covering furniture and flooring, never seen that before, quite alarming and disturbing i should add... 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

People in the "Red" area have been advised to reduce outdoor activities and closely monitor the dust situation.

When I read this I immediately thought of Isaan and the provinces of northern Thailand where the population voted overwhelmingly "red" ... :giggle:

28 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

All the doubters and naysayers should remember that the Generalissimo solved the Chiangmai air pollution in only seven days. Seven days! The fact that he hasn’t yet cleared the air in Bangkok probably means he’s really super busy battling wicked demons and restoring happiness to the Thai people. He’ll get around to it when he has time.

they will do the same this year.. just waiting until the last week of may to show us the magic ????

I fear that this is a problem that's not going to go away. We can see from satellite imagery that many, many fires are burning across the region. The government can't simply tell the farmers to stop burning as many of them don't know any different, and have done it for years, and will just continue anyway. What the government could offer perhaps is either an incentive to stop, or provide an alternative. In most other countries the fields are ploughed, and not burnt. Sure, burning is the easy option and least labour intensive, so I can see why they do it. But the government could provide some machinery to plough and maybe this would encourage farmers not to burn. I totally realise that this won't happen as nobody gives a damn, but it's so sad when there are solutions, but this government would seemingly rather everyone choke. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

And it will continue to worsen, the government or local officials will do nothing that interferes with the daily lives of anyone. It's as simple as that.

They will not take coaches, buses, trucks, pick-ups or any other type of vehicle off the road and stop people from providing transport or trying to earn a living!

2 hours ago, rhyddid said:

Do something is to shut down the sugar and palm farms and the sugar industry !
This means to have around a 1 Million people unemployed.

They need to  stop the burning by any means possible..so maybe use the recent "sugar tax"  to pay farmers  not to burn

their fields..even free machinery to plough the fields instead of burning,have the military ( now they are not staging coups) out in full force fighting any and all fires....stiffer penalties for arsonists..

PS Thailand has on of if not the lowest unemployment rate in the world ????:cheesy:

On 1/20/2020 at 4:23 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

One look out of the window makes it obvious it's bad or BAD. I monitor it constantly by looking out of the window. Unfortunately that monitoring does not change anything.

Police should remove any vehicle with extensive smoke. Confiscate them!

thaibus.jpeg?itok=dbHhSiHz

The foreigner is to blame for inventing the combustion engine!!!

On 1/20/2020 at 9:16 AM, irwinfc said:

leave it to the good charismatic leader to save everyone and give happiness back to the people with a few magic words. 

Did you read the stupidity that fell out of his word hole today? The government lays the entire blame on the Thai citizens for the pollution. Claiming there's nothing the government can do about it. wow...