BANGKOK
webfact

Flight costs rise due to increasing air traffic

Well the other day I purchased an economy Thai airways CM - BKK - CM and was told no lower fares available and it is for weekday @ 7215 baht. Gouging? This is the most expensive off holiday season ticket I have ever paid for. Then asked about Japan for April and the price RT 29700+ and am not allowed to use miles to upgrade to business as all those so to say using points or using points to upgrade were capped and unavailable to use. Business class was 77000 baht + RT. At these prices you can fly all the way to North America. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Well the other day I purchased an economy Thai airways CM - BKK - CM and was told no lower fares available and it is for weekday @ 7215 baht. Gouging? This is the most expensive off holiday season ticket I have ever paid for. Then asked about Japan for April and the price RT 29700+ and am not allowed to use miles to upgrade to business as all those so to say using points or using points to upgrade were capped and unavailable to use. Business class was 77000 baht + RT. At these prices you can fly all the way to North America. 

Chinese New Year travel dates maybe?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Thai airways last mob I would pay to travel with. Their competition who fly to DM charge about 2600 baht return, I just had to use one of them to go to an embassy in BKK also live in CNX.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

If that is true, and Thailand counts people in and out as tourists then Thailand has a really big problem. 40 million tourists - would mean less than 20 tourists on each plane !! (and that's being generous for no land crossings !)

That's a mix of domestic and international flight arrivals.

https://www.airportthai.co.th/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Annual-Airport-2018.pdf

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand has become the hub of airlines 

Thailand is definitely the hub of hubs.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, saengd said:

Chinese New Year travel dates maybe?

The Thai rep was flustered a bit knowing the amount I fly with them, then said sorry as she really expected me to walk out. We all know the routine of when flights are high and med to low cost, but this doesn't fit the bill. My daughter also works for Thai and was taken back. So seems they just tightened the screws a bit more which in the end is going to blow back up on them. My guess is they scaled back on the amount of promos and then the next level of medium cost seats and stuck it to you on the rest available which there were actually quite a lot. Maybe instead of messing with the free elite seats they are pushing it on all else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, legend49 said:

Thai airways last mob I would pay to travel with. Their competition who fly to DM charge about 2600 baht return, I just had to use one of them to go to an embassy in BKK also live in CNX.

I prefer to fly Thai domestically and I really only like Suvarnabhumi to fly into. Second choice is Viet Jet from CM and not unless have to is Bangkok air as they are always in a delays state. But the two things they have going are the seats have good space and good service. But honestly much more of this gouging then I will definitely turn tail and fly on any of the all of others. It's like being slapped by them, and the them are the same as the you know who. 

People talking about Thai Air so I want to say that myself and the gf fly BKK-CNX (CM to you) a lot, and I still like Thai Air, but you have to try to book at least 2 weeks out if possible, and look at alternate dates. That said, those 1300 baht flights per way do seem to be getting more scarce lately.

In a week I'm taking Thai Air RT direct to Kolkata from BKK for $305, which I personally consider cheap. A couple of other carriers had similar flights for 60% of that but the arrival times were terrible.

• Like 1

Air traffic is an excuse, because it is another beginning of year, inflation drives up the prices.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He urged Aerothai to focus on aviation safety to support the increasing number of flights, predicted to increase to about two million within the next 15 years.

That increase should NOT start at Suvarnabhumi Airport any time soon until the third runway has been built and operational. Otherwise the airport is 'an accident waiting to happen.'

Suvarnabhumi Airport has been operating above its designed capacity for years now with arrivals and departures per hour currently at 64 versus approx. 45 as per original plan using two runways.

The newly approved 21.7 billion baht runway project will increase the combined capacity of Suvarnabhumi international airport’s runways to 94 arrivals and departures per hour. 

https://thethaiger.com/news/bangkok/third-runway-for-suvarnabhumi-airport

If there's a focus on aviation safety, Aerothai should be reducing the current number of flights. But that's apparently not politically correct to the "current" government. Tic-toc, tic-toc.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Flight costs rise due to increasing air traffic

Every price has a ceiling, when that's reached people vote with their money.

• Like 1