Agencies responsible for air quality are incompetent – Nida Poll

webfact

2 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Now LOS is officially Land of Smog.  They will pay a heavy price in tourism and cleaning up the environment and their short sighted greed will be paid by long term poverty, misery and poor health.  Just a shame the rest of us who chose to call Thailand home are now being dragged into the putrid mire with these incompetent fools.  Diesel cars, crop burning and unregulated factories are the main causes but the insane government cant call out two of those because of it affects their own business interests.  With an unaccountable government interested only in kickbacks on submarines and tanks its unlikely to change soon.

On traveller forums (in Europe) many has written that they go elsewhere and mention pollution & dirty beaches as reason. Main reason still being Thailand getting really expensive and not so friendly but now as environmental movements take hold (some militant and some not) it will drop the visitor numbers. Like in Sweden were people already suffer from shame taking a flight...????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Now LOS is officially Land of Smog.  They will pay a heavy price in tourism and cleaning up the environment and their short sighted greed will be paid by long term poverty, misery and poor health.  Just a shame the rest of us who chose to call Thailand home are now being dragged into the putrid mire with these incompetent fools.  Diesel cars, crop burning and unregulated factories are the main causes but the insane government cant call out two of those because of it affects their own business interests.  With an unaccountable government interested only in kickbacks on submarines and tanks its unlikely to change soon.

There is no effect on tourism, this has been going on since before you were born, it's only the media that has brought the subject to the fore.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, mrfill said:

A westerly would send smoke from Cambodia to Vietnam i.e. the other direction.

What difference does it make whether someone gets their bearings wrong? The smoke is still coming from Cambodia right? It's all over the Nasa satellite images.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimbo2014 said:

No my friend.  Firstly Im over 50 years old so unlikely before I was born.  Secondly Ive been in Bangkok for 25 years and I can tell you authoritatively that, while Bangkok air quality has always been bad, its never been this bad and throughout Rural Thailand and Chang Mai.  The pollution levels right accross SE Asia are now off the charts - it is a Smogappocalypse and emergency response is needed.

Sure the problem has got worse over the years but you don't think farmers 50 years ago burned their fields, just like today....really, what did they do? And you don't think that all surrounding countries suffered from the same problem and the wind didn't blow the pollution into Thailand....really?

BTW I'm 70 years old and I can recall this problem existing in the early 1990's.

1 hour ago, saengd said:

Signs have been posted around where we live in CM, no burning from now until end April, penalty THB 25,000/30,000, first time we've seen anything like that.....excellent.

Talk is cheap and so are signs!

27 minutes ago, saengd said:

Sure the problem has got worse over the years but you don't think farmers 50 years ago burned their fields, just like today....really, what did they do? And you don't think that all surrounding countries suffered from the same problem and the wind didn't blow the pollution into Thailand....really?

BTW I'm 70 years old and I can recall this problem existing in the early 1990's.

Agreed but its scale now

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Most of the respondents to a recent opinion poll accuse government agencies of incompetence and complacence in the handling of air pollution in Bangkok.

Incompetent, complacent, but firmly entrenched and taking a nice salary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

A westerly would send smoke from Cambodia to Vietnam i.e. the other direction.

From where I am sitting, Cambodia is located in the southwestern section of the Indo-Chinese Peninsula in South East Asia. It is bound by Thailand to the northwest and west, therefore if a westerly was blowing it would be sending it to Thailand.

Maybe I am looking at the map wrongly, but it does appear to be west of Thailand.

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

From where I am sitting, Cambodia is located in the southwestern section of the Indo-Chinese Peninsula in South East Asia. It is bound by Thailand to the northwest and west, therefore if a westerly was blowing it would be sending it to Thailand.

Maybe I am looking at the map wrongly, but it does appear to be west of Thailand.

The other way around, a Westerly wind would send smoke from Thailand into Cambodia. The South West monsoon is what triggers the monsoons in Thailand, those winds come from the Bay of Bangladesh, over Myanmar and into Thailand.

• Thanks 1

Just now, saengd said:

The other way around, a Westerly wind would send smoke from Thailand into Cambodia. The South West monsoon is what triggers the monsoons in Thailand, those winds come from the Bay of Bangladesh, over Myanmar and into Thailand.

To embellish...when describing a wind, the cardinal direction used refers to the direction an air current is moving from...it’s source...not the direction of its flow. 

I can only sign what @Fore Man here already detailed. Having a PhD and coming 5 years ago, I heard of pollution in Shanghai with AQI of 500 back then (they are now on par with us in BKK because they tackled it) but I did not think in my wildest dreams that I have to deal with that in Thailand. Until I did wake up to bad coughs in the middle of the night and by accident read in the news about the pollution. Started wearing the mask last winter and for this winter I taped our entire room and got a Xiaomi air purifier MI2s for 3500 THB. Ok now but feel bad for Thai people on the street ....