Agencies responsible for air quality are incompetent – Nida Poll

webfact

5 minutes ago, stouricks said:

But from where does the air to treat come from if your house is sealed? And where does the CO2 which you breathe out go to?

There is always cracks around doors and windows that allow the pressure in a room to normalise and the air contents to remain balanced. That said, if you use a PIV or create positive internal pressure you can control the flow of air into the room via a single filtered source. I have a PIV unit in my UK flat and it does just that, only HEPA filtered air enters the flat, a great marketing opportunity for Thailand if somebody wanted a business here.

5 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

And here is the problem! Dust from construction sites? Health damaging Pollution that we are talking about comes from combustion, meaning something burnt! 

Building sites do add to the problem. They are often a source of PM10. 

5 hours ago, Chazar said:

What  a  load of tosh this  part is

Building sites do add to the problem. They are often a source of PM10. 

6 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

And here is the problem! Dust from construction sites? Health damaging Pollution that we are talking about comes from combustion, meaning something burnt! Dirty diesels drive around all year but people really only complain when the farmers burn. Doesnt take a genuis to figure out the major factor here regardless.

If thais themselves werent so ignorant it would be 100% that think the government dont give a hoot. 

They are murders plain and simpel and i hate taking my kids to school to breath this stuff. Even in my house with all windows shut i cant get the pm count under 120. Outside its averaging 200 here where i am in kanchanaburi. We have a farm and cant work it because its so bad.

Human rights abuse?.... All the millions ive wasted on taxes here yet cant even get some fresh air is really worrying.

how the hell did you manage to buy a farm?

It is so easy to stop buying burnt sugar cane.  Brazil has a total ban on burning sugar cane. I live in a sugar cane burning and the AQI goes over 200 when they are doing the overnight burning.  No main roads near, it is all down to burning.

Nothing is changing because they are not interested in  improving the air quality

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I bet there was also enforcement of those laws involved.

Thailand has already lots of laws but little enforcement. 

Yes, you are right.

But do Thais call the police on other Thais for burning?

Seems very few if any do.

When its not burning season, the air is pretty good even in the middle of Bangkok. Authorities just needs to crack down on farmers who burn the fields since it is cheaper and faster. I'm sure they all know the problem, its they can't get police to crack down on it.

7 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

And here is the problem! Dust from construction sites? Health damaging Pollution that we are talking about comes from combustion, meaning something burnt! Dirty diesels drive around all year but people really only complain when the farmers burn. Doesnt take a genuis to figure out the major factor here regardless.

If thais themselves werent so ignorant it would be 100% that think the government dont give a hoot. 

They are murders plain and simpel and i hate taking my kids to school to breath this stuff. Even in my house with all windows shut i cant get the pm count under 120. Outside its averaging 200 here where i am in kanchanaburi. We have a farm and cant work it because its so bad.

Human rights abuse?.... All the millions ive wasted on taxes here yet cant even get some fresh air is really worrying.

Well Said!

21 minutes ago, mike324 said:

When its not burning season, the air is pretty good even in the middle of Bangkok. Authorities just needs to crack down on farmers who burn the fields since it is cheaper and faster. I'm sure they all know the problem, its they can't get police to crack down on it.

and the farmers know they are up to no good they just play poor, innocent & ignorant

otherwise why all the burning at night now? 

• Like 1

The immediate solution for an end to the seasonal air pollution is very simple...Thai farmers need to quit burning off the waste from their fields of Sugar Cane, Pineapples, & Rice stalks!  It's really wonderful that they help feed us all, but they are also killing us all via the air pollution they generate from the annual crop burn off!  It may be costly, but it's much more effective & safer to just plow the crops under at the end of each growing season!  Stopping the burning will end the annual air pollution dilema!!!

23.09% said they have stopped burning trash outdoors

Well, that's a start.... Frankly, I'm surprised the number above for those who claim to have stopped burning their trash is really that high.

Of course, I guessing that farmers who burn their fields/crop residues are not a big respondent group for the NIDA poll.

8 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

They are murders plain and simpel and i hate taking my kids to school to breath this stuff.

There was a medical journal article a couple years back in which researchers estimated that Thailand has something like an additional 38,000 deaths (I'm recalling the number from memory) each year specifically as a result of its bad air pollution problems, due to increases in cardiovascular disease and lung cancer, among other causes.

That's an estimated 38,000 people here each year who would not have died when they did were it not for the country's air pollution woes.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

4 hours ago, saengd said:

A few years ago there was nothing no ban on burning, no signs, no nothing. Then came a short ban and slowly people began to obey it, at least they do around where we live and we're surrounded by rice fields. Then came a longer ban and people are slowly beginning to adopt it. Now there's a big fine for disobeying the ban.....these things take time to bed in here but slowly but surely things do change for the better.

Laws mean nothing in a land that does not practice enforcement and an administration that does not behave as if they take themselves seriously. The protection of the environment and the people are the last thing on the minds of the army nitwits. 

Daily proclamations and declarations mean nothing unless they are followed up. The DNA (do nothing army) never follows anything up. 

4 hours ago, Fore Man said:

We added HEPA filters to our ACs or learned how to correctly set our units already equipped with such filters.

Wonder if you can elaborate on your above comments a bit?

In particular, I'm not aware of any true HEPA filtration that can be added to an existing split unit air con system that didn't come with its own manufacturer provided HEPA filtration filters, as some of the newest air cons have.

If you mean adding 3M Filtrete sheets, those don't provide HEPA filtration, though they would be better than just the standard plastic screen type filters that most AC units come with. Plus, 3M advises against covering the entire filter surface area with their Filtrete sheets, and leaving open surface area as recommended reduces the filtering capability even further.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fore Man said:

PM2.5 and larger particles can easily enter into a home unless it has been hermetically sealed.

One option is to do what they do in car paint booths. Create a slight overpressure inside the house and filter all the incoming air before the air pump with one large filter. 

Or move out of Thailand.

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If you mean adding 3M Filtrete sheets, those don't provide HEPA filtration, though they would be better than just the standard plastic screen type filters that most AC units come with. 

I have a daikin skyairs with 3M filterete. In the morning the PM2.5 meter on the study desk said 45. Now, 2 hours after turning it on, it's 22. The room is basically sealed. Won't go under 20 anymore, when the filters were brand new, it would go to 4. If using those I think they need to be changed every 1-2 weeks to be effective. Not a real solution but a small help.