BANGKOK
webfact

"Black Snow" - when are the authorities going to do something serious about sugar cane burning?

5 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

In Civilized countries, they do not burn  the husks of previous crops, the plow them under to put nutrients back in the soil. But the term Civilized does not apply to Thailand, sooooo....

This is  simple, its  all  about  money, burn is  cheap, we  had  to  plough our  crops  back in after  smashing it to  pieces  first cost  about 8k more than matches.

2 hours ago, Bassosa said:

Can you explain to me why?

Why aren't the people who have to endure the "black snow" allowed to demand immediate action from their cane grower neighbours until ASEAN gets together and "tackles" the issue?

Cane growers are part of the social fabric of their respective communities. Why can't they be held accountable for their actions?

Why do these issues always have to be dealt with on a macro level, considering the complete lack of effectiveness.

What's stopping a neighbour addressing another neighbour about rubbish burning? Does that need to go to ASEAN as well?

probably  end up  getting stabbed as violence rules here

11 minutes ago, 30la said:

Here it is called FOG!

In my experience "Fog" doesnt smell like burning 

2 hours ago, Bassosa said:

Can you explain to me why?

Why aren't the people who have to endure the "black snow" allowed to demand immediate action from their cane grower neighbours until ASEAN gets together and "tackles" the issue?

Cane growers are part of the social fabric of their respective communities. Why can't they be held accountable for their actions?

Why do these issues always have to be dealt with on a macro level, considering the complete lack of effectiveness.

What's stopping a neighbour addressing another neighbour about rubbish burning? Does that need to go to ASEAN as well?

are you trying to stop the "snow" or the smog?

because if its the latter asking the 2 farmers next door (or 20) to borrow a tractor next year isn't going to help much :coffee1:

fires today seasia:

Screenshot 2020-01-20 at 4.18.42 PM.png

thats why it needs to be ASEAN wide otherwise they're just flicking peanuts at elephants

Edited by GeorgeCross

6 hours ago, webfact said:

"Black Snow" - when are the authorities going to do something serious about sugar cane burning?

After the next blue moon.

11 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

are you trying to stop the "snow" or the smog?

because if its the latter asking the 2 farmers next door (or 20) to borrow a tractor next year isn't going to help much :coffee1:

fires today seasia:

Screenshot 2020-01-20 at 4.18.42 PM.png

thats why it needs to be ASEAN wide otherwise they're just flicking peanuts at elephants

It's gotta start somewhere, somehow....

Look, I have all my assets still in the mother country, it wouldn't affect me personally if Thailand burnt to the ground and/or destroys it tourism industry, but it's at least interesting to see how Thai and farang find so many reason to do nothing at all. 

From BP article linked above:

"At present, purchasing burnt sugarcane stalks is not illegal, but the pre-harvesting burning is a criminal offence that can carry a minimum penalty of two years' imprisonment and a 14,000 baht fine."

Being a diabetic, as far as I am concerned they can burn the sugar mills/refineries as well!! Mitrphol has a lot to answer.

21 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

It's gotta start somewhere, somehow....

Look, I have all my assets still in the mother country, it wouldn't affect me personally if Thailand burnt to the ground and/or destroys it tourism industry, but it's at least interesting to see how Thai and farang find so many reason to do nothing at all. 

You could support EU in putting ban on imports from Cambodia... Though that can quickly backfire.

6 hours ago, englishoak said:

Those complaining about the fires arnt the ones doing it..... The rich and elite also have to breath exactly the same air and so do their kids, there is no reason NOT to take steps and do what most of the industrialised world has learned and done, adjust with urgency and clean up... all Thailand has to do is just copy previous steps other nations have taken to improve air quality... but being TIT, stupid is as stupid does. 

Most of the issues appear to be from Cambodia, where Chinese Owned Farming Enterprises consisted of over 900 " Hot spot " fires yesterday.

These were registered by Satellites. and there were 126 in Thailand

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Uh-huh. The reason I didn't see ozzies burn their fields is probably because I'm from the other side of the world. No idea if it's banned or not but nobody burns fields anymore. Haven't for a few decades. The results are pretty obvious:

1889641861_pollution(Medium).JPG.d1fabc765111e04bd3c7d199fe25cd70.JPG

The Burdekin district is/was the only place that still generally burnt their cane, something about it being extra green due to irrigation or something.

In the article quoted before, in that year other areas had to go back to the bad old ways of burning because the fields were full of debris from a cyclone and because a lot of old cane had not been harvested due to a mill closure the previous year.

So generally speaking cane is not burnt in Australia, has not been for some time.

14 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Most of the issues appear to be from Cambodia, where Chinese Owned Farming Enterprises consisted of over 900 " Hot spot " fires yesterday.

These were registered by Satellites. and there were 126 in Thailand

And now what?

Do nothing because Cambodia is a worse offender?

Thailand is not allowed to lead in terms of agricultural reform?

Or are you worried about the competitiveness of the Thai sugar cane industry? 

Why should an industry so polluting even have the right to be competitive?

2 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

Do nothing because Cambodia is a worse offender?

That is exactly the excuse Thais will use after the diesel/fog/etc BS doesn't fly anymore. Those pesky Cambodians.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

That is exactly the excuse Thais will use after the diesel/fog/etc BS doesn't fly anymore. Those pesky Cambodians.

Exactly..

Even people on this forum buy into these diversion tactics. Sad.

Indeed, the discussion about air pollution is ruined by the spread of wrong information. Over in the Bangkok forum the main concern seems to pinpointing the culprits, either agricultural burning or vehicle emissions. The fact that it's a bit of both is lost on them. It's the famers! NO, it's the old buses. CANNOT BE BOTH! 

Crazy.

Edited by Bassosa