Bangkok eighth worst in the world for air quality, global index shows

webfact

Bangkok eighth worst in the world for air quality, global index shows

By THE NATION

800_ea7a669205a6259.jpg?v=1579488436

Bangkok was the eighth worst city in the world for air quality as of 8am on Monday (January 20), according to statistics released from the Air Visual mobile application.

According to the US AQI (air quality index), Bangkok measured 171, with particulate matter smaller than 2.5 microns in diameter (PM2.5) at 57.8 micrograms per cubic metre.

750x422_862700_1579483544.png

The Pollution Control Department reported at 8am on Monday that the level of PM2.5 dust particles in Bangkok and surrounding areas averaged 47-75 micrograms per cubic metre. The reported level is above the safety standard value of 35 μg/m3 and is unhealthy for sensitive groups such as people with respiratory or heart disease, the elderly, and children, who should limit prolonged exertion.

The World Health Organisation prescribes PM2.5 levels at 25mcg per cubic metre in a 24-hour mean.

Several districts of Bangkok, Pathumthani, Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakarn and Samut Sakhon provinces reported air quality as unhealthy for sensitive groups. Areas along Din Daeng, Rama IV, Lat Phrao and Kanjanapisek roads were reported with levels of PM2.5 unhealthy for all groups.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380807

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-20
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The positions change daily.  Last year Bangkok was #1 on a few occasions.  It's peak smog season, so being 8th isn't so bad.

According to many websites, the PEAK season is many, many weeks away.

In two months these numbers will be 892343284 x 10 to the power of 12

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The Pollution Control Department reported at 8am on Monday that the level of PM2.5 dust particles in Bangkok and surrounding areas averaged 47-75 micrograms per cubic metre.

was 111mg on my terrace when i woke up this morning (hua hin)

100+ again, 3 days running now

so excuse me if i don't shed too many tears for my bangkok brothers and sisters right now.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, rvaviator said:

I wonder what is going on in that town in Mongolia ... Is it coal fired power stations ?  Index of 298 that is fenominal

I briefly visited Ulaan Baatar in 1998, and even then it was bad. And you're right, it's just coal, coal and more coal, as far as the eye can see.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

It lies in a narrow valley and most homes have coal fired stoves to keep warm. Reminds me of London smogs of the 1950s.

Have you seen Serbia's air quality!??...

The most saddest thing I have ever read about air quality is when a youngster fainted because she could not breathe in Australia whist playing tennis.... when on earth was there ever an air quality issue which interfaces with sports??....I feel pain just writing this!..

Edited by hashmodha
Additional details..

1 hour ago, HeyHeyHey said:

All the most polluted countries are Asian

But little retard Greta barks at 1st world countries

Greta Thunberg is campaigning on air pollution in the West? Did I miss something?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

For the past couple of days the air in Pattaya is the worst I have ever experienced, and when I see a tour bus belching black smoke I wonder how they are not taken off the road and forced to do an engine rebuild ????

Yes same for me here. It has been bad for some time but seems to be getting worse

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

This cannot surely solely be the result of local imbeciles burning household rubbish, crop stubble and construction site waste

Walk along the sea front and count the chicken BBQ's burning charcoal... dwarfs the coconut suntan-lotion smell by miles!

• Haha 1

Saw a study last year done at UT, Austin where they sealed up a house and cooked Thanksgiving meal and cleaned up afterwards using standard home cleaning products.

Guess what?

The air pollution skyrocketed inside the sealed off home.

They estimated that exhausting cooking and cleaning pollution from residential homes in Los Angeles produces more air pollution than all the cars on every road in LA.

Source: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/04/08/the-hidden-air-pollution-in-our-homes

Just to be safe, eat only raw food and stop cleaning....  

You know, open a backpacker hostel with a Continental breakfast and dirty bathrooms. ????

Edited by SiSePuede419
Added link

And the government strangely silent today.  Guess they have stated all their 'plans' and 'proposals' and 'recommendations' and 'instructions' and have simply run out of ways of creatively explaining how they are doing absolutely nothing constructive.  Oh for the glory days of washing the pollution away with water hoses!  Darn!  Already used that one.  Now, what?  I'm in Pattaya and I can't remember the last time I was able to see the islands or even Laemchabang. 

• Like 1

Air pollution is worsening in and around Bangkok

IMG_6960.jpg

Air pollution in Bangkok and its vicinity is worsening today due to increased levels of PM2.5 dust in the atmosphere, as a result of temperature inversion, according to the Pollution Control Department (PCD).

PCD director-general Pralong Damrongthai said this morning (Monday) that the levels of PM2.5 between 6am to 7am today were measured at 47-89 microns, against the 50-micron safety threshold, with 49 areas having excessive amounts of the fine dust.

He attributed the increased levels to stagnant air since Sunday night, trapping dust in the atmosphere over the capital, compounded by a looming high pressure cell, resulting in temperature inversion.

He warned people in Bangkok and its suburbs to take care of their health and to wear face masks when they are outdoors or avoid all outdoor activities, pointing out that the problem is likely to get worse.

Agencies such as the Land Transport Department, the Highways Department, traffic police, Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, the Agriculture Ministry and Industrial Works Department have been working to reduce exhaust emissions from cars and smoke from factories to ease the problem, said Mr. Pralong.

Meanwhile, the Meteorological Department reported that the dust problem could ease in the afternoon due to improved air circulation as a result of the south-easterly wind of about 20kph and possible rain over 10% of the capital.

A new moderate cold front from China is expected to cover north-eastern Thailand and the South China Sea on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/air-pollution-is-worsening-in-and-around-bangkok/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-01-20

3 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

For the past couple of days the air in Pattaya is the worst I have ever experienced, and when I see a tour bus belching black smoke I wonder how they are not taken off the road and forced to do an engine rebuild ????

i sympathize but methinks you expect too much of thai people; they are pretty limited