Dangerous Thailand: Hanging cables snare female foreign tourists in Kanchanaburi

webfact

Dangerous Thailand: Hanging cables snare female foreign tourists in Kanchanaburi

1pm1.jpg

Picture: PPTV

A day out on a rented motorcycle turned to horror for two female foreign tourists in Kanchanaburi in Thailand's west. 

The driver didn't notice hanging cables on the road by the PTT gas station in Koh Samrong sub-district of Muang district. 

Miss Christina from Spain suffered severe injuries to her neck.

Miss Ana Clara from Argentina who was riding pillion suffered road rash and dizziness inducing vomiting. 

Both were rushed to hospital. 

1pm.jpg

Picture: PPTV

Thai media reported they had rented a motorcycle and were on a trip out to enjoy the natural surroundings. 

The story made the Channel 7 national TV news this morning.

The tourist police are trying to trace the company responsible for the cables to take responsibility for the accident. 

Sources: PPTV | Channel 7

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-20
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 8

1 minute ago, actonion said:

What  has  tourists renting a motorbike got to do with low hanging electric cables ?

I agree the cables should not be hanging down as they are dangerous .... as witnessed,  however,  I am just saying that tourists come here with zero experience riding a motorbike and as such need to be aware of the inherent dangers within Thailand and on the roads. We see low hanging cables everywhere over Thailand.

Lets hope the cables are relocated higher by the offending party.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 5

Do we need another poll on the incompetence of Thai agencies to determine if the authorities responsible are incompetent?

lol... about as much as we needed a poll to determine if air pollution regulators are incompetent... or agencies responsible for police... or agencies responsible for <insert option>

• Like 2

I doubt they were the first motorcyclists to ride past. Why didn't any locals run into them?

I know they do ocasionally but... 

Oh and a snare is a device with a loop in it. 

Edited by VocalNeal

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The tourist police are trying to trace the company responsible for the cables to take responsibility for the accident. 

it's Monday, start of the week joke, let's all have a good laugh 555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

Tourists renting a motorbike probably never ridden before and I expect no insurance.

What could possibly go wrong   :shock1:

The problem is not the rental of a scooter and the possibility of having a helmet or not.
The problem is that Thai workers work like pigs;
if they had been on a velocipede, the hospital was still at the end of the story;
ditto with Thai motorcyclists which we will be sure, this time they had neither license nor helmet.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

What does that has to do with low hanging cables above the road (which are everywhere in Thailand)....

When i go to the local market i keep my helmet on these days, the market is under a huge roof but those idiot vendors built their own roofs above their stands which are far too low for a healthy person who is taller than a midget Thai.

Is this you by any chance ?

F5188F86-D8EF-40B8-8926-842EE74F8483.jpeg

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

I agree the cables should not be hanging down as they are dangerous .... as witnessed,  however,  I am just saying that tourists come here with zero experience riding a motorbike and as such need to be aware of the inherent dangers within Thailand and on the roads. We see low hanging cables everywhere over Thailand.

Lets hope the cables are relocated higher by the offending party.

Not just tourists. My thai father in law suffered similar in Surin. A village friend had placed a net across the road to catch birds. The net was placed at a height, easy to ride a motorcycle underneath.

To hold the net in place the villager had also placed a long wire across the road, about 1/2 metre below the net and secured the net to it in three places.

The wire was at neck level and my FIL rode straight into it. We went to see it and the net looked safe enough - but the wire was almost invisible. It bit right into his neck and required many stitches.

The villager was required to pay him 20K baht compensation. He then tried to negotiate a discount and was immediately and totally humiliated by MIL's tongue lashing.  

Not just tourists......

• Like 2