“Don’t complain about our English, If you can’t speak Thai” - sign at restaurant goes viral - again

webfact

2 minutes ago, Yinn said:

They can speak English. 

They write the sign in English!

Boring listen to people complain English not enough for SOME customer.

Happen already. Reason make the sign.

Yes, but that sign is not really endearing.

"we love you" really sounds not true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Actually I love it when the 711 or supermarket workers don't speak English or not enough. I can float either way, but if they try I do also help them and not embarrass them. In the stores around me English is not really spoken so the conversation is Thai.

Would point out 7-11 workers are required to have finished high school to age 15 (or more).

So they've been learning English for at least 10 years.

I never expect much from fuel pump attendants, mostly Burmese up in Chiang Mai.

And most of them appear to think M/cs can run of diesel fuel. 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

No, but all airline pilots must speak English which is nowadays considered to be a basic requirement for doing business almost anywhere. If you want to be in an industry that caters to tourists ...

What’s needed is for air line pilots to stop flying, such that they can get a better paying job serving food to disrespectful tourists hanging the do do on the poorly educated.... sounds like a plan

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Would point out 7-11 workers are required to have finished high school to age 15 (or more).

So they've been learning English for at least 10 years.

Yeah, but in most cases they sat and did not learn anything because the reality is most don't see the relevance and reason to grasp and learn English as this is Thailand. They figure will never use it.. Same as in the US. In one ear and out the other for years and years, but basically only memorizing some parts by sight and filling in the answer blank.. You have to get the point and feel the reason of relevance of why you should learn. Like seeing patterns but not knowing what they mean.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Happy to be corrected but is not English taught in Thai schools, is English

Most thai people NO need to speak English. For what? 

My mum want to waste time learn it? The worker for the rubber tree, palm plantation, the factory worker, the supermarket, hardware shop, all get low wage. Never speak with English speaker. Learn for what?

Nobody in my village will speak English today. Everyone speak thai. No need English.

not the Government approved 2nd language of Thailand and that is why ALL the major highways are signposted in English

Some signs, not all. Most are thai. “Reduce the speed” “Dangerous bend” “keep right for uturn” etc etc.

, most buildings and Government buildings etc all have their name in English script not only Thai script .

Wrong. 

Have thai script. Some also have English. 

All the document in government place is Thai. 

TV show, news etc is Thai. 

Thai is the langauge of thailand. 

Just an observation ????

Thailand has more Chinese tourist now. Be better for business if can read Mandarin. (But so difficult) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

I don't see the french in your list.

So finaly you opened a restaurant?

The French not popular in SEA. You know why.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ParkerN said:

Yes. well. English is the default uniquitous language of the world. Thai isn't. It must surely be the responsibility of Thais to speak English, not for Europeans or Americans (both of whom come here mainly for cheap beaches, cheap food or cheap sex) to learn how to order Somtam in Thai or to engage a waiter whose IQ is likely less than 90 in conversation (quantum mechanics anyone?).

Seems reasonable for foreigners to boycott jingoistic little restaurants like this one. It probably isn't very clean anyway and it seems they need a few lessons in how not to <deleted> their customers off.

I thought Big Too was on record as stating that pasa Thai would be the future language of diplomacy.

Just now, evadgib said:

If English is a problem i'm curious as to who wrote that sign?

Did they say that??? NO.

They tell people to stop COMPLAINING about their english skills, not that they refuse to speak english.

And it's quite clear which group of people are those that complain about other peoples english skills - the one who speaks only 1 language.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm not sure if I live in the "real world" - I live in Thailand!  But you misunderstand my post if you think I'm sympathetic to farangs acting like pr**ks; I'm not, and if any one complained in an aggressive or unpleasant manner in my restaurant I would chuck them out or refuse to serve them.  However, I wouldn't write a provocative and unpleasant sign like this one.

Yeah, it says enough for me about a business that thinks it is appropriate to complain on a sign meant for customers to see.

I do think they are right however. Many English speakers are entitled pricks. 

• Like 2