“Don’t complain about our English, If you can’t speak Thai” - sign at restaurant goes viral - again

webfact

If you have the willing and interest to overcharge foreigners with minimum double or triple prices then you should have the sense and interest at least to be able to speak to them, otherwise it will just be a very one sided business ,

or you just keep the same prices as for Thais (no distinguish) and then no one should complain but it’s not fair to be one sided affair 

Edited by Naturesway
  • Haha 1

complain:  For myself what I have seen for over 10 years with this word is frankly a misunderstanding of what is actually happening.

When correcting speech, say showing the correct sounds the letters make to be able to speak the word correctly.....this is often taken as a complaint.

Just the other day it was the word yoga, most Thais that I know say it where it sounds like yoka. Try to explain the ga sound and what happens, stop complaining about my speech. When in fact just trying to help. Thus as always a big deal is made out of nothing other than trying to be helpful. 

Edited by Moonfire
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, uli65 said:

every day there is another evidence  for the thai megalomania.

As you can read in this topic, the megaomaniacs are not the Thais :-).

And for these an information for free:

The upcoming world language is Mandarin. Time for you all to go back to school.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Naturesway said:

If you have the willing and interest to overcharge foreigners with minimum double or triple prices then you should have the sense and interest at least to be able to speak to them, otherwise it will just be a very one sided business 

With THAT logic, they will have to speak an umpteen number of languages!

At least, lets thank them for that sign... it has kept us idlers with nix to do happy at our keyboards, flexing our imaginary muscles and exhibiting our superior knowledge!

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Hmmmmm 

Interesting thinking. I agree can, sometimes. Look confident/smile/ thai polite way. Not look same “lost”.

Sometimes, I not sure why, but sometimes it really like that. 55555

But not think “most” Thai.

Most Thai never meet/speak with foreigner. Most Thai expect foreigner can not speak thai. 

But the one who do speak with foreigner often,  some/most can “feel” it.

You correct. Hard to explain it. Just the feeling/way. 55555 

intersting thinking. 

Hahahahha. Yeah thought so for way too many years now from personal experience. Like the Thai person just starts chirping away from the beginning with you like never ever having a pre-thought of they will be talking to a wall... Explains a lot. Yes and agree in some instances for Thai not ever in direct relations seeing foreigners but I still know even there when in those never instances of places that have no foreigners or interaction that they still get a feeling or some sort of energy from something. Got to love Thai people!

Have a good day Yinn!

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moonfire said:

complain:  For myself what I have seen for over 10 years with this word is frankly a misunderstanding of what is actually happening.

When correcting speech, say showing the correct sounds the letters make to be able to speak the word correctly.....this is often taken as a complaint.

Just the other day it was the word yoga, most Thais that I know say it where it sounds like yoka. Try to explain the ga sound and what happens, stop complaining about my speech. When in fact just trying to help. Thus as always a big deal is made out of nothing other than trying to be helpful. 

In real, there are some sounds that Thais cannot pronounce at all. I think its same with all of us - there are some Thai sounds (or maybe any other foreign sound) that we cannot get right, at all.

That's normal, for a human IMHO

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

writes the one who answers jingthing who has the trifle of 100,414 posts on this forum ...:whistling:

100,414 posts? So ALL understands 100%?

Sorry, forgive me please, I DONT understand your post either... or am I misunderstanding your intentions? :whistling::whistling::whistling:

37 minutes ago, Woolsgibb60 said:

So if they been to university and have a degree in english and they can speak fluent english did they buy the degree how can u be a english and u cant speak english how did they get a degree in english plus over the years how many tourist be visiting this country and thai still  cant speak english so it show u how lazy the tourist can only speak 1 language they are only here for say 2 weeks holiday 

I haven't got the faintest idea what that is all supposed to mean, otherwise I'd attempt an answer!  ???? ????

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

I'd very much like the TAT to put THAT in their next promotional leaflets being distributed on the next tourism roadshow...

Or, as a response:-

"Please don't expect us to spend our hard-earned holiday money if you can't be civil, polite and know that we are short term tourists and unlikely to speak Thai! 

Used to love you too"!

Anyone got a child's chalkboard? - photo the two together and splash it all over Thai sites!

THEN let's see what TAT and Thai 'Netizens' think of that!

Incidentally, I do speak Thai, I can read and write it! I just think that this Thai originated sign is inexcusably rude and unnecessary. It would certainly put me off eating there! It is they who should make that effort. But I agree that who live here longer should learn at least basic thai language

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

Or, as a response:-

"Please don't expect us to spend our hard-earned holiday money if you can't be civil, polite and know that we are short term tourists and unlikely to speak Thai! 

Used to love you too"!

Anyone got a child's chalkboard? - photo the two together and splash it all over Thai sites!

THEN let's see what TAT and Thai 'Netizens' think of that!

Incidentally, I do speak Thai, I can read and write it! I just think that this Thai originated sign is inexcusably rude and unnecessary. It would certainly put me off eating there! It is they who should make that effort. But I agree that who live here longer should learn at least basic thai language

WOW! Now this far exceeds space technology!

Please, why not you do the project yourself? I am sure it would be a world class hit!

2 hours ago, ParkerN said:

Yes. well. English is the default uniquitous language of the world. Thai isn't. It must surely be the responsibility of Thais to speak English, not for Europeans or Americans (both of whom come here mainly for cheap beaches, cheap food or cheap sex) to learn how to order Somtam in Thai or to engage a waiter whose IQ is likely less than 90 in conversation (quantum mechanics anyone?).

Seems reasonable for foreigners to boycott jingoistic little restaurants like this one. It probably isn't very clean anyway and it seems they need a few lessons in how not to <deleted> their customers off.

Cool your titties Parker it ain’t that big of a deal, just grab some fried rice and a beer or two and watch the world go by.

i mean they did say please

Edited by HuaHinHim
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Try some of the waiters in France ,,,,hardly a word of English

you can write the same thing about a pub or a restaurant in Great Britain ... or in Germany or in Spain or in Italy ...
I do not quote the Netherlands because curiously in this country many people are bi and even sometimes tri-lingual

• Like 1

The astonishing thing about social media, from my point of view, is the number of incredibly petty things, like this sign, which in reality means nothing, that "go viral". What does it mean? What bearing does it have on anything? Does the world really have that much time on their hands, where they have to break tiny, incredibly insignificant things like this down? Is that what we have been reduced to? Is that not a very alarming statement about contemporary culture? 

56 minutes ago, monkfish said:

My wife used to ask, why don't you correct my English when I speak to I can be better?
So I did correct her English then she was like why you always correct my English I'm not English girl.
Sometimes you just can't win.
Yet if we try to speak Thai they will correct us and correct us and even laugh if there's a slight mistake in the pronunciation.

I could have wrote that too, 100% with the same words????