BANGKOK
Nordlys

Entering Thailand with a new blank Thai passport with no stamp trail. Does this pose a problem?

Just as the title says.  

I'm leaving Thailand in April as a passport holder of another country and returning to Thailand with a freshly new passport to be issued in Thailand next week.  

I'm a Thai citizen by birth.  Have Thai national ID card.  

Would I have difficulty entering Thailand with a blank Thai passport with no stamp trail at all??  

Edited by Nordlys

No problem when entering with your Thai passport with no stamps in it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No problem when entering with your Thai passport with no stamps in it. 

Even with no exit stamp from Thailand?  

I hear there are unmanned automated immigration clearance gate for Thai passport holders at the airport (Both Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang???).  Should I go through that?  

3 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

Even with no exit stamp from Thailand?  

Yes

3 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

I hear there are unmanned automated immigration clearance gate for Thai passport holders at the airport (Both Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang???).  Should I go through that?  

You can if you want to.

They also have them for departure from the country now. No stamp when those are used.

While @ubonjoe is correct that there should be no problem entering with your blank Thai passport, I can remember a report from the past where a Thai passport issued in Thailand  (as in your case) was a problem with no Thai exit stamp. This was some time ago, and was with a Thai dual national. As I recall the story, Thai immigration ended up deciding the holder was not a legitimate Thai, and destroying the Thai passport. I trust you will not run into anything so extreme. However, if they can ignore Thai tourist visas, maybe some officials might be allowed to ignore Thai passports also.

• Like 1

I would suggest that you carry the outgoing non-Thai passport with you as well when you return here.

I have not done what you plan to do, but I have left on one passport and come back in on a new one from the same country (no stamps). No problem.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BritTim said:

While @ubonjoe is correct that there should be no problem entering with your blank Thai passport, I can remember a report from the past where a Thai passport issued in Thailand  (as in your case) was a problem with no Thai exit stamp. This was some time ago, and was with a Thai dual national. As I recall the story, Thai immigration ended up deciding the holder was not a legitimate Thai, and destroying the Thai passport. I trust you will not run into anything so extreme. However, if they can ignore Thai tourist visas, maybe some officials might be allowed to ignore Thai passports also.

I wonder whether he might be able to minimise the risk of something similar happening to him by using the automatic gates (which were presumably not around at the time of the previous report you referred to) when re-entering Thailand.

But under no circumstances should he IMHO exit Thailand on this particular occasion by using the automatic gates with his new Thai passport. He should definitely get stamped out in his other passport.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I have read multiple such threads myself, but not someone claiming to have his/her passport forfeited and destroyed. 😮😱

What happened to that person?  

It's one thing to deny entry to a foreign passport holder with a valid and legitimate Thai visa, another thing to bar entry to Thai citizen with a genuine Thai passport...  😤

Edited by Nordlys
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes

You can if you want to.

They also have them for departure from the country now. No stamp when those are used.

Or should it make no difference manned or unmanned gate?  

Are the automated gates at both Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang?  🙂

2 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

I have read multiple such threads myself, but not someone claiming to have his/her passport forfeited and destroyed. 😮😱

What happened to that person?  

The one i can recall was shortly after the last coup and it was done by a military officer after he saw the person also had non Thai passport. 

They were allowed entry using the other passport.

Never ever show immigration your other passport when using your Thai passport.

• Like 1

Or should it make no difference manned or unmanned gate?  

It should not make any difference.

Are the automated gates at both Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang?  

Yes

• Like 1

You’ll be fine. Just go through the unmanned gates. From what I recall, you are overseas born. So this is simply your first entry to Thailand as an overseas born Thai citizen....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, samran said:

You’ll be fine. Just go through the unmanned gates. From what I recall, you are overseas born. So this is simply your first entry to Thailand as an overseas born Thai citizen....

Hi Samran! 

We've done this topic perhaps a decade ago??  

It has finally come to a time that I have to do this as my employment in Thailand as a foreigner for which I've been issued a Non-Immigrant B is coming to an end.  

But no, I was born in Thailand.  

17 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

Hi Samran! 

We've done this topic perhaps a decade ago??  

It has finally come to a time that I have to do this as my employment in Thailand as a foreigner for which I've been issued a Non-Immigrant B is coming to an end.  

But no, I was born in Thailand.  

Still shouldn’t be an issue. Did you ever have a Thai passport and travel on it? When did you last use it? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, samran said:

Still shouldn’t be an issue. Did you ever have a Thai passport and travel on it? When did you last use it? 

Yes I did but not in about 40 years.  The last time I remember I used a Thai passport to leave and re-enter Thailand was when I was in my mid or early teens.  

I don't even know if I still have that long-expired passport.