Entering Thailand with a new blank Thai passport with no stamp trail. Does this pose a problem?

Just as the title says.  

I'm leaving Thailand in April as a passport holder of another country and returning to Thailand with a freshly new passport to be issued in Thailand next week.  

I'm a Thai citizen by birth.  Have Thai national ID card.  

Would I have difficulty entering Thailand with a blank Thai passport with no stamp trail at all??  

Edited by Nordlys

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No problem when entering with your Thai passport with no stamps in it. 

Even with no exit stamp from Thailand?  

I hear there are unmanned automated immigration clearance gate for Thai passport holders at the airport (Both Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang???).  Should I go through that?  

3 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

Even with no exit stamp from Thailand?  

Yes

3 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

I hear there are unmanned automated immigration clearance gate for Thai passport holders at the airport (Both Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang???).  Should I go through that?  

You can if you want to.

They also have them for departure from the country now. No stamp when those are used.

While @ubonjoe is correct that there should be no problem entering with your blank Thai passport, I can remember a report from the past where a Thai passport issued in Thailand  (as in your case) was a problem with no Thai exit stamp. This was some time ago, and was with a Thai dual national. As I recall the story, Thai immigration ended up deciding the holder was not a legitimate Thai, and destroying the Thai passport. I trust you will not run into anything so extreme. However, if they can ignore Thai tourist visas, maybe some officials might be allowed to ignore Thai passports also.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BritTim said:

While @ubonjoe is correct that there should be no problem entering with your blank Thai passport, I can remember a report from the past where a Thai passport issued in Thailand  (as in your case) was a problem with no Thai exit stamp. This was some time ago, and was with a Thai dual national. As I recall the story, Thai immigration ended up deciding the holder was not a legitimate Thai, and destroying the Thai passport. I trust you will not run into anything so extreme. However, if they can ignore Thai tourist visas, maybe some officials might be allowed to ignore Thai passports also.

I wonder whether he might be able to minimise the risk of something similar happening to him by using the automatic gates (which were presumably not around at the time of the previous report you referred to) when re-entering Thailand.

But under no circumstances should he IMHO exit Thailand on this particular occasion by using the automatic gates with his new Thai passport. He should definitely get stamped out in his other passport.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I have read multiple such threads myself, but not someone claiming to have his/her passport forfeited and destroyed. ????????

What happened to that person?  

It's one thing to deny entry to a foreign passport holder with a valid and legitimate Thai visa, another thing to bar entry to Thai citizen with a genuine Thai passport...  ????

Edited by Nordlys
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes

You can if you want to.

They also have them for departure from the country now. No stamp when those are used.

Or should it make no difference manned or unmanned gate?  

Are the automated gates at both Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang?  ????

2 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

I have read multiple such threads myself, but not someone claiming to have his/her passport forfeited and destroyed. ????????

What happened to that person?  

The one i can recall was shortly after the last coup and it was done by a military officer after he saw the person also had non Thai passport. 

They were allowed entry using the other passport.

Never ever show immigration your other passport when using your Thai passport.

• Like 1

Or should it make no difference manned or unmanned gate?  

It should not make any difference.

Are the automated gates at both Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang?  

Yes

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, samran said:

You’ll be fine. Just go through the unmanned gates. From what I recall, you are overseas born. So this is simply your first entry to Thailand as an overseas born Thai citizen....

Hi Samran! 

We've done this topic perhaps a decade ago??  

It has finally come to a time that I have to do this as my employment in Thailand as a foreigner for which I've been issued a Non-Immigrant B is coming to an end.  

But no, I was born in Thailand.  

17 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

Hi Samran! 

We've done this topic perhaps a decade ago??  

It has finally come to a time that I have to do this as my employment in Thailand as a foreigner for which I've been issued a Non-Immigrant B is coming to an end.  

But no, I was born in Thailand.  

Still shouldn’t be an issue. Did you ever have a Thai passport and travel on it? When did you last use it? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, samran said:

Still shouldn’t be an issue. Did you ever have a Thai passport and travel on it? When did you last use it? 

Yes I did but not in about 40 years.  The last time I remember I used a Thai passport to leave and re-enter Thailand was when I was in my mid or early teens.  

I don't even know if I still have that long-expired passport.  

43 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

Yes I did but not in about 40 years.  The last time I remember I used a Thai passport to leave and re-enter Thailand was when I was in my mid or early teens.  

I don't even know if I still have that long-expired passport.  

You must have left on your thai passport and re-entered on your Japanese one at some point though? 

7 hours ago, samran said:

You must have left on your thai passport and re-entered on your Japanese one at some point though? 

It was such a long time ago I don't remember.  I thought I've left Thailand with a Japanese passport not intending to ever settle in Thailand again but I probably couldn't have left Thailand with a passport I"ve never entered with, I suppose?  ????

But then I don't remember ever having Thai passport in my possession while I lived outside Thailand.  I've always returned to Thailand with Japanese passport since I was 18 (35 yrs ago).  

Edited by Nordlys

We did the "mistake" of exiting Thailand using our 6 month old daughters foreign passport.

When we then returned to Thailand, we of course knew she had to enter Thailand on her now blank Thai passport.

We were pulled aside and a IO supervisor was called in. They fixed the problem and we were on our way 10 minutes later.

• Like 1

Be prepared for lots of questions and blank stares. My wife (Thai) and 2 kids (Dual nationality) were all refused entry in to Thailand with new Thai passports issued in London and had to enter Thailand on their UK passports, immigration told my wife to her face that she would not be admitted on her Thai passport.

Brigante7.

1 hour ago, Brigante7 said:

Be prepared for lots of questions and blank stares. My wife (Thai) and 2 kids (Dual nationality) were all refused entry in to Thailand with new Thai passports issued in London and had to enter Thailand on their UK passports, immigration told my wife to her face that she would not be admitted on her Thai passport.

How did they know they had UK passports? As I wrote before a person should never show immigration the other passport.

Immigration cannot deny entry to a Thai national and that is stated in the constitution.

• Like 1

It's an interesting situation. My son born in Thailand when leaving the Kingdom with a new Thai passport his first, was already in the computer system and he only had it two days? They also knew he had a European passport. He got through without a problem. However Emirates at check in were very unhelpful. According to inter embassy chat if you have any possible passport or visa issues avoid Emirates as they summon immigration at any hint of a problem. What im saying is perhaps this passport issued in Thailand to a Thai might be expected to have a stamp leaving? 

Edited by Nip
Grammar
  • Like 1

My daughter, a dual national, had her Thai passport expire while in the US. She returned with the expired passport and entered the country without question. Only "hick-up" is the she was advised by the IO that "you should consider getting a new passport before trying to leave." LOL

In addition both of my daughters and my wife have entered Thailand on Thai passports with no stamps without any issues.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

If it was me i would take my foreign passport to immigration and cancel my visa or extension and say i am thai. I would exit with my thai passport and enter my destination with my other passport. 

Immigration will not do it. Others have tried and they were told to leave on their non Thai passport.

They will only do it for those that applied for Thai nationality here.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Nip said:

What im saying is perhaps this passport issued in Thailand to a Thai might be expected to have a stamp leaving? 

That depends on your exit point. If you exit through automated gates there is no stamp. In CNX there are no auto gates and you get stamped out. However if you return and enter through the auto gates in BKK you don't have a stamp in. 

• Like 1

As has been said already, it should be fine.

However my wife had a problem a couple of years ago.

The IO refused her Thai PP for no stamp history. She panicked, did not show her previous Thai PP and presented her UK one instead.

If she had stood her ground and asked for a higher up all would have been ok. Basically an ignorant IO and my wife not doing as instructed by myself.

On correcting the situation she got both her UK PP stamped to cancel off her visa and her Thai PP stamped to exit Thailand. On returning only presented the Thai PP without issue.

This was before the auto-gates, that she would not use anyway.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nordlys said:

It was such a long time ago I don't remember.  I thought I've left Thailand with a Japanese passport not intending to ever settle in Thailand again but I probably couldn't have left Thailand with a passport I"ve never entered with, I suppose?  ????

But then I don't remember ever having Thai passport in my possession while I lived outside Thailand.  I've always returned to Thailand with Japanese passport since I was 18 (35 yrs ago).  

Odds are you’ll be totally fine. Just use the electronic gates when you enter. 

if for whatever reason they decide they don’t want to stamp you in on the Thai PP (HIGHLY UNLIKELY these days), then just come in on your Japanese passport and then next trip just use your thai passport to leave and renter and never use your Japanese passport again in Thailand. After all you were born here and a thailand born Thai citizen. 

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Brigante7 said:

Brigante7.

If they had not told the IO that they have UK passports they would all have been let in on their Thai passports.

• Like 1