Jump to content
BANGKOK
cantaloupe

Advice for girlfriends UK tourist visa application

Recommended Posts

Hello, my girlfriend is just in the process of completing her application for a UK tourist visa.

 

Now i understand the chances of being granted one are quite slim as although my gf owns land and assets in Thailand she is unemployed and the only money she gets is from what i send her (very small amounts)

 

on the VAF it asks if she receives any income - does the money i send her count as "income" or should she declare NO i do not receive any income?

 

thanks

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If she receives cash from you then, in my opinion, she would be better declaring it, though of course with no employment the ECO could be forgiven for assuming that she intends staying in the UK with her benefactor.

 

If you didn't send her money, how would she survive, how is she intending paying for her trip, how long does she hope to visit the UK, how long have you known herdoes she have any other ties in Thailand, does her land produce in income stream?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes she has included her bank statements showing the transfers i have made along with copies of my bank showing the remittances. And also agree that the ECO will no doubt assume she intends staying in the UK - even though since our relationship of over 2 years i have spent over 1 year living with her in Thailand as i am financially retired.

 

In truth if i did not send her any money she would be able to get work to fund herself, but she has not done this previously, as she is so frugal with her spending, and lives on the family farm in issan. We have been together 2 years, but has no other ties to Thailand apart from elderly relative she is the sole carer for, and no her land does not have an income stream, the deeds are all in her name and we intend to build a house in the next few years.

 

So im not holding out any hope for her obtaining a visa, but still wish to have a go.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not unknown for people in her position to be granted visas, but I think you're right to temper your expectations.

 

A couple of well drafted covering letters explaining what you've just said, she wants to spend a short time with you on home soil, could possibly swing it, don't make the letters too long, but I agree it's a long shot.

 

Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You do not need to demonstrate that she has an income either from you or from a job. Her occupation is a housewife (that's what we stated)

In my experience of being granted a tourist visa, as long as you can prove you have enough money in the bank and you state you will be supporting her, that is enough.

They are more concerned that your relationship is genuine

Give them copies of photos, facebook or other social media conversations, tickets for travel together, bills with both names at the same address.

A friend was refused a visa for his girlfriend of only 4 months because he did not include photos (his reasoning was that photo date stamps can easily be faked) He appealed, included photos with a new application and was granted a visa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A covering letter should reiterate the following:-

 

Yours is a genuine relationship and her reason to visit is genuine (explain details of the latter and evidence of the relationship - your visits to her in Thailand, your financial support to her that enables her to spend time with he4 family.

 

Financial adequacy. Show evidence of savings +/or income that comfortably covers the costs of her visit. If you have other assets ie property bull up your status in the covering/sponsor letter.

 

Reasons to return should be satisfied with showing evidence of property assets plus a statement of when and why she will return - if that coincides with your next visit even better.

 

Paint a picture of your relationship and where this visits sits as a natural development of that relationship. I have used phrases such as “whilst I will eventually retire to Thailand and live together with my partner, in the interim we seek to divide our time together between the U.K. and Thailand”.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your replies. So i have heard conflicting stories regarding including photos etc with the application. But she has just produced a brief timelog of photos/messenger chat etc trying to show our relationship is geniune. also flight tickets together, house rentals etc over the last 2 years Also included my bank statements and self assesment tax details, showing i am more than financially able to support her, along with house deeds for my UK property, a letter showing my mortgage paid off, council tax bill etc.

 

so im pretty sure ive nailed it showing a genuine relationship and my ability to support and accomodate her during her holiday.

 

My worry is her lack of financial ties to Thailand, and even though neither of us would want to settle in the UK, im sure the ECO given their quotas of how many they must refuse to keep home office statistics looking rosy, will just say "nah not today thank you"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may find this helpful:

UKVI said:

This section provides guidance on the types of documents that are not required to consider your application.

if you are applying as a family/group you do not need to provide multiple copies of the same documents

bank statements or letters issued more than 1 year before the date of application

credit card statements

driving licence

photographs (passport photographs required in section 1) - my emphasis

notarial certificates

business cards

hotel bookings

flight bookings

photocopies of bank cards

certificates relating to leisure activities

evidence of car ownership

travel insurance

sponsor’s utility bills

sponsor’s council tax billseducational certificates (unless specifically listed in section 3)

 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/visitor-visa-guide-to-supporting-documents/guide-to-supporting-documents-visiting-the-uk

 

The ECO's do not have quotas on how many applications they are allowed to approve, if the applicant can demonstrate that they're a genuine applicant whose trip is affordable and on the balance of probabilities is likely to return, it's likely that Entry Clearance will be granted. Unfortunately there's little if any accountability either, so if an ECO "gets it wrong" there's unlikely to be any comeback.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suggest that you explain who will be looking after the elderly relative while she is away in the application.

 

One of the problems with her lack of income in Thailand is that her main income comes from you living in the UK. Why would she need to go back to Thailand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not read all the comments but my buddy works in an Embassy in Bangkok and he said what they look for primarily is evidence that a girlfriend applying for a visa has a reason to return to Thailand like a job, studying in university, a child or if she is a carer? And that if she gets sick she won't be a burden so I guess providing her with medical insurance would help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rasg said:

I would suggest that you explain who will be looking after the elderly relative while she is away in the application.

 

One of the problems with her lack of income in Thailand is that her main income comes from you living in the UK. Why would she need to go back to Thailand?

Because she has living relative in Thailand, has land assests and maybe a car?  Stop poo pooing the Guys ambition.  He might, or might not get a UK Visa for his Girl, but that is not for you or me to decide, but what we can do is suggest how he can improve the liklihood of achieving it and there is other valuable and relevent advise by others.  Go for it and the very best of luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, cantaloupe said:

Thanks for your replies. So i have heard conflicting stories regarding including photos etc with the application. But she has just produced a brief timelog of photos/messenger chat etc trying to show our relationship is geniune. also flight tickets together, house rentals etc over the last 2 years Also included my bank statements and self assesment tax details, showing i am more than financially able to support her, along with house deeds for my UK property, a letter showing my mortgage paid off, council tax bill etc.

 

so im pretty sure ive nailed it showing a genuine relationship and my ability to support and accomodate her during her holiday.

 

My worry is her lack of financial ties to Thailand, and even though neither of us would want to settle in the UK, im sure the ECO given their quotas of how many they must refuse to keep home office statistics looking rosy, will just say "nah not today thank you"


As advised by OG, the photos are not necessary and arguably you are presenting too much. IMO risking bogging down an ECO when you just need to tick the boxes.

 

The application that my missus put in on 13th January, and was approved yesterday, comprised 6 pieces of our own uploaded documents....... my covering letter outlining  the length and detail of our relationship; my P60 and evidence of other income; my premium bond statement to show adequate funds; copy of her land chanote; list of reasons to return with the comment “there is no doubt that on the balance of probability she will again return to Thailand.......”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nip said:

I have not read all the comments but my buddy works in an Embassy in Bangkok and he said what they look for primarily is evidence that a girlfriend applying for a visa has a reason to return to Thailand like a job, studying in university, a child or if she is a carer? And that if she gets sick she won't be a burden so I guess providing her with medical insurance would help?

The applicants reasons to return have already been pointed out by a number of posters.
I'm sure your buddy who works at the Embassy will have advised you that the UKVI specifically advise not to submit evidence of travel insurance with an application, though clearly she should have it, he will probably have also pointed out that the British Embassy are not involved in the visa application deicision making process, they are considered by UKVI staff located in Delhi. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Jip99 said:

A covering letter should reiterate the following:-

 

Yours is a genuine relationship and her reason to visit is genuine (explain details of the latter and evidence of the relationship - your visits to her in Thailand, your financial support to her that enables her to spend time with he4 family.

 

Financial adequacy. Show evidence of savings +/or income that comfortably covers the costs of her visit. If you have other assets ie property bull up your status in the covering/sponsor letter.

 

Reasons to return should be satisfied with showing evidence of property assets plus a statement of when and why she will return - if that coincides with your next visit even better.

 

Paint a picture of your relationship and where this visits sits as a natural development of that relationship. I have used phrases such as “whilst I will eventually retire to Thailand and live together with my partner, in the interim we seek to divide our time together between the U.K. and Thailand”.

I dont know if Australia is different to UK but with AU probably the criterior that they put the most emphasis on is proving that the applicant has a valid reason to go back at the end of the visa that being a job so they require a letter from their employer stating that they have granted ...leave from ..date and they must return to work on ..date.Other ties such as family ,children or a business also come into it of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...