Query time/labour for 110k km service?

topt

9 hours ago, giddyup said:

Don't talk rubbish.

Giddy, maybe you missed maths at school.

What is trying to be said to you is that at your present rate of usage, 20,000 km in five  years, this equates to 100,000 km in 25 years.

Will you not be dust by then, I will have been a long time.

Now is the guy saying that he’s going to charge you five hours of labor or that the job will take five hours.

My experience of service is that they don’t work on your car all the time. Frequently one guy does one job and then your car is passed on to another guy to carry on when he’s ready. Probably in a different part of the workshop.

MB tell me that they would like the car for most of the day when they do a service.

Edited by JAS21

54 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Giddy, maybe you missed maths at school.

What is trying to be said to you is that at your present rate of usage, 20,000 km in five  years, this equates to 100,000 km in 25 years.

Will you not be dust by then, I will have been a long time.

Nothing wrong with my maths. I get the impression he's saying (saeng said same thing) that I'm trying to save 400 baht (got a feeling a new belt would be more than that) by saying I'll wait until the Triton has done 100,000 klms before replacing the belt. I'm sorry, but it makes no sense at all to me to replace the belt at 20,000 klms, 5 years old or not. The belt still has only 20,000 klms of wear whichever way you cut it.

On 1/20/2020 at 6:06 PM, giddyup said:

At the last service for my 5 year old Triton (only 20.000 Klms) Mitsu tried to tell me that the next service is a major one and will cost 17,000 baht. Fat chance, I will just continue with an oil change and filter every year for 1500 baht.

I am in a similar position with a 5 year Ford Fiesta that has only done 15000 KMs. The next service at Ford is deemed a major as most cars will have done 75000 kms by then. Where do you go for a 1500 baht oil change which is probably all i need.

Just now, Henryford said:

I am in a similar position with a 5 year Ford Fiesta that has only done 15000 KMs. The next service at Ford is deemed a major as most cars will have done 75000 kms by then. Where do you go for a 1500 baht oil change which is probably all i need.

Cockpit.

The people that sell tires and belts both claim they need to be changed regardless of mileage. 

When was the last time anyone had a flat tire or a belt fail? The quality of belts has gotten so good I doubt they need to be changed even at 100k. 

the last timing belt I changed myself was at 100k miles and the old one looked like it was brand new. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Henryford said:

You can just tell Ford you don’t want the service, you just want the oil changed.

6 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Mistu engines 2.4 and 3.0 D are interference

Forgo belt replacement at your peril

https://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=20229

Do you think that might have been abnormal, or should we start replacing belts at 10,000 klms just to be on the safe side? Why would the motor need an overhaul (big ends) at less than 40,000 klms?

Edited by giddyup

6 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Mistu engines 2.4 and 3.0 D are interference

Forgo belt replacement at your peril

https://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=20229

Read the whole thread and the timing belt issues in it were caused by other factors - and even one had his belt changed and then had a problem as they did not change something else..........

22 hours ago, giddyup said:

Nothing wrong with my maths. I get the impression he's saying (saeng said same thing) that I'm trying to save 400 baht (got a feeling a new belt would be more than that) by saying I'll wait until the Triton has done 100,000 klms before replacing the belt. I'm sorry, but it makes no sense at all to me to replace the belt at 20,000 klms, 5 years old or not. The belt still has only 20,000 klms of wear whichever way you cut it.

Rubber degradation does not cease because the vehicle does fark all kilometers.

Rebuilding cylinder heads and valve train is a costly exercise......Up to you.

Garage will charge the book hours for a service irrespective of how quickly they can do it. It always bemuses me, having worked for a main agent and later had my own small garage business, why people take older, out of warranty cars to them & pay maybe double what an independant would charge.

Some of you seem to think a service entails little more than changing the engine oil and filter, there is a lot more to it. Just a few examples, lubricating locks & hinges, changing brake fluid, anti-freeze, gearbox oil, etc. etc. If you have a handbook in English the service schedules might be given in the back.