'Over 600 hotels, bungalows' cause a stink in Khao Kho National Park

webfact

'Over 600 hotels, bungalows' cause a stink in Khao Kho National Park

By The Nation

800_515ca6d568b2aa1.jpg?v=1579503553

More than 600 hotels have dumped garbage from New Year celebrations in many areas of Khao Kho National Park, said the Anti-Global Warming Association president, adding that the association will soon lodge a complaint against illegal establishments.

Activist and president Srisuwan Janya said the association is investigating and recording hotels without a licence under the Hotel Act 2004 in the protected area of Khao Kho National Park.

The more than 600 hotels have carried out the garbage dumping without any storage or disposal measures in accordance with sanitary landfill methods, Srisuwan said.

This also shows local government organisations have neglected their duties. And to top it all, there has been “smuggling” of garbage, leading to dust spreading widely, the president said.

The main reason for this is probably due to a large number of illegal hotels, resorts and bungalows without adequate control and management measures, Srisuwan added. The garbage came from tourists who flocked to the park and reserved forest areas, until the amount of rubbish exceeded the capacity of these areas to support it.

The association will lodge a complaint against all illegal facilities with the chiefs of the Royal Forest Department and the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department next week, Srisuwan added.

640_bh7bbhj9hk5ead8hide5f.jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380821

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-20
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Many years ago in Samui I made the proposal to charge hotels / resorts a waste tax according to the number of rooms they have, which have not lynched me, it was a stroke of luck, but as you can see, those who earn a lot with tourism, they are also the biggest environmental criminals!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, johng said:

a proper disposal center

Yes....here is the problem. Not enough ( if any ) of these that cater for the public. Just big tips that the rubbish collecters use. So unorganized that the public can't use them. 

Who can you blame other than successive governments who talk but do nothing. Really disgraceful and getting worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Denim said:

Yes....here is the problem. Not enough ( if any ) of these that cater for the public. Just big tips that the rubbish collecters use. So unorganized that the public can't use them. 

Who can you blame other than successive governments who talk but do nothing. Really disgraceful and getting worse.

We only have a garbage collection by the Tessabann up here once a month, if lucky. Would like to know where a local tip is as we always leave extra garbage outside the large bin until collected. If I knew where the tip was would take it there myself.

18 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

collection by the Tessabann up here once a month,

next time they come to empty the bins ask them where the tip is..wouldn't be surprised if they just dump it in any vacant land plot !!!!!!...why because there is no  official dump site for miles a around.

Yep we’re suffocating and drowning in our own filth. What an admirable, shining species we are.

Climate change ... doesn’t exist.

pollution ... others are polluters not me. 

making personal change around my waste ... ignore and expect others to make change happen.