Girlie Bars Wheelchair Handicapped Friendly?

PhineusFreek

I've not seen wheelchair-bound guys in Nana Plaza and honestly the arrangements inside the bar don't seem particularly handicapped friendly.

However, you might have better luck with the street side bars/alcocarts which open up late. They're all along lower Sukumvit. The ones on Soi 7 for example get really cooking after midnight. No reason you can't roll up to one and have a good time. Booze and gals aplenty.

Danish bloke in a wheelchair once bought a percentage of a bar in Nanaplaza on the first floor, must have been carried up. Bloke named Santos sold it to him but unfortunately it was not his to sell! Bangkok is hard enough if you can walk

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Greyhat said:

'Not at all' is the answer, but that'd be the least of your worries in Bangkok, most of the city is wheelchair inaccessible. It's difficult enough to walk down many streets with the broken/uneven pavements, foot wide gaps between poles and walls, street vendors blocking the way etc.

There's loads of videos of the streets and the places you mentioned specifically on Youtube if you want to take a peek for yourself.

your not going to be hopping around bangkok in a wheelchair, but they could do a grab van and just drop off from hotel at specific locations, then get picked up again.

best option is probably soi cowboy they can go down street which is just like a walking street drinking at the outside bars. the girls come outside and can bar fined from there if needed. 

could also drop off outside nana plaza and drink in the downstairs arcade (no steps?!?), or could even do patpong just dropping off at the end of the soi and wheeling down the street. the girls on the japanese soi in patong line up outside, you dont even need to go in.

steps to gogos are another animal. would just see whats there and take what comes your way.

the whole endeavor is going to be more enjoyable with a couple drinks in you, but could be fun with the right mindset.

Edited by fhickson
  • Like 1

As a wheelchair user the kerbs are a nightmare due to the size to handle flooding and the <deleted> like signs poles etc on them . If I’m in bkk I’m usually just at a mall and hotel via taxis but if you look around I’m sure there will be some places without huge kerbs and toilets your chair can actually fit through the door . One of my biggest problems is not getting in the bar etc but the fact the toilet doors are always so narrow . 
As for women being bothered by a chair don’t even worry about it , if you are funny and chat to them they won’t care . Plus obviously buy them drinks ????????????

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Pattaya might be a better bet. In Soi LK Metro, an entertainment centre most GGBs have ramps leading up to the entrance.

The girls always make a fuss of blokes in wheelchairs.

agreed. plus you could do the beach road and walking street thing, soi 6, or jomtein beach road. all of which have accessible sidewalks or streets. could get out a lot more in general where there is more space and less crowds and obstacles  which means they would be having more fun, rather then just getting dropped off on a small street and picked up at the other end.

in bangkok your going to be staying in the hotel a lot.

• Like 1

Walking St is heaving with Oriental and Indian pedestrians and it's hard to navigate a wheelchair through such crowds. And it's more expensive.

Jomtien is remote and a fair trip from Pattaya where the action is and any bars that may be worth visiting are a long way from each other. 

I know few falangs who visit WS or Jomtien. IMO Jomtien is dead and not worth a visit for a fully active person let alone someone in a wheelchair. It reminds me of a retirement town like Eastbourne or Worthing in England. And it's hard to get to in a wheelchair unless you keep hiring taxis which can work out expensive.

There are at least 20 bars that are buzzing in the immediate vicinity of LKM and they are all within a few yards of one another. Nearly all are wheelchair accessible. If you are confined to a wheel chair or need a walking aid that is a very important and major factor.

There are also plenty of hotels and guest houses very near LKM. You need a degree of independence if you are disabled and you do not want to have to gallivant all over the show and rely on others when you want a night on the town..

Serenity (Oasis) is nearby so is Area 51 but I'm not sure about wheelchair access in Oasis. There is none at Area 51 but it's not very lively anyway.

I have long holidays and rarely venture out of LKM and I've never even been in all the bars. I hardly ever bother with WS and would not dream of visiting Jomtien.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, PhineusFreek said:

Were not worried about pavements. Thats what taxis are for . Were just not wanting to be sat in our chairs and not able to get to the bar or getting trampled on thd disco floor. I heard the Thai birds can be a bit picky about guys in wheelies ? Right?

They will not care as long as your rich and flashing your money around. Also they don't like bad body smells. Its a reason many of them will not in general associate with guys from India

there was a gentleman in a wheelchair in the Dollhouse on soi cowboy the other night.  in the back right corner of the bar, they have a nice spot for someone in a wheelchair.  the two doormen helped him access from the street as the patio didn't have a ramp. as noted by another, the lighthouse has a ramp, and that bar also has a good spot for wheelchair viewing, just inside the door to the left.

nana plaza has an elevator but i think there is at least one step up to access it.  billboard go go bar would be easily accessible if one can make it to the elevator.  if staying on the ground floor, one should be able to access rainbow 1 with a little help up the small step to get up to the 'patio'.

The only reason to visit Bangkok for your FFest, rather than Pattaya, is so that you can "plausibly deny" the central objective of your holiday.

Pattaya not so, it's what it was made for...........and everybody knows it.

(Pattaya really is better for "that sort of thing")

2 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Pattaya might be a better bet. In Soi LK Metro, an entertainment centre most GGBs have ramps leading up to the entrance.

The girls always make a fuss of blokes in wheelchairs.

The LK Metro gogo's are wheelchair friendly to get in, but floor space is definitely limited.  That said, it's your best bet IMO; pedestrian after 19:00 (barring slow motorbikes), all flat, easy taxi drop off points, probably 30-40 bars & gogo's within a couple of hundred yards. 

Wheelchair accessible toilets though, you could be on a loser there, I can't think of any.  Though, as I don't need one, I haven't paid that much attention, so there could be some.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.9296513,100.8850376,18.75z?hl=en-GB

Edited by DefaultName

23 hours ago, PhineusFreek said:

We are both wheelchsir bound and my mates several handicaps in addition. But were game lads and eondering how wherlchair friendly places like NanaPlaza , patpong and Cowboy are . ? 

Bangkok is not wheelchair friendly at all. You need about two helpers to lift a wheelchair up and down from sidewalks whenever passing a side street (called "soi"), and there might not even be space for a wheelchair on a side walk.

Nana Plaza is not wheelchair friendly, however the ground floor is accessable. Many of activities at Patpong takes place at 2nd floor, whilst Soi Cowboy is mainly ground floor, but might not be special wheelchair friendly (if nothing has changed during the later years). I don't recall seeing any guests there in wheelchair, but that might be due that I'm not a regular guest.

Know some friends that was recommended a holiday in Bangkok as "a wheelchair friendly city" – the very very disappointed, mainly due to having to lift the wheelchair up and down all the time. The sidewalk steps are high due to flooding when a tropical sky burst hit the city.

I would suggest you to consider other destinations in Thailand, both Pattaya and Phuket might be more wheelchair friendly, and both places have great nightlife also, if not even better than Bangkok.

On the island I live we occasionally see folks in wheel chair in the nightlife, and they seem to manage quite well, even the major disco and dating place has a wheelchair ramp, and only a few steps at the end, not unusual to see guests there in wheelchair; so there might be alternatives to check.

Google Street View (here pointed at Soi Cowboy) can often be a helpful guide for details of roads – hope you'll find a cool place to visit and wish you a good trip...????

On 1/20/2020 at 10:09 AM, PhineusFreek said:

Were not worried about pavements. Thats what taxis are for . Were just not wanting to be sat in our chairs and not able to get to the bar or getting trampled on thd disco floor. I heard the Thai birds can be a bit picky about guys in wheelies ? Right?

rofl. Thai birds doesnt care as long as you got cash........

22 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Danish bloke in a wheelchair once bought a percentage of a bar in Nanaplaza on the first floor, must have been carried up. Bloke named Santos sold it to him but unfortunately it was not his to sell! Bangkok is hard enough if you can walk

There is  elevator access in Nana plaza.

Edited by Farangwithaplan