Girlie Bars Wheelchair Handicapped Friendly?

PhineusFreek

23 hours ago, khunPer said:

Bangkok is not wheelchair friendly at all. You need about two helpers to lift a wheelchair up and down from sidewalks whenever passing a side street (called "soi"), and there might not even be space for a wheelchair on a side walk.

Nana Plaza is not wheelchair friendly, however the ground floor is accessable. Many of activities at Patpong takes place at 2nd floor, whilst Soi Cowboy is mainly ground floor, but might not be special wheelchair friendly (if nothing has changed during the later years). I don't recall seeing any guests there in wheelchair, but that might be due that I'm not a regular guest.

Know some friends that was recommended a holiday in Bangkok as "a wheelchair friendly city" – the very very disappointed, mainly due to having to lift the wheelchair up and down all the time. The sidewalk steps are high due to flooding when a tropical sky burst hit the city.

I would suggest you to consider other destinations in Thailand, both Pattaya and Phuket might be more wheelchair friendly, and both places have great nightlife also, if not even better than Bangkok.

On the island I live we occasionally see folks in wheel chair in the nightlife, and they seem to manage quite well, even the major disco and dating place has a wheelchair ramp, and only a few steps at the end, not unusual to see guests there in wheelchair; so there might be alternatives to check.

Google Street View (here pointed at Soi Cowboy) can often be a helpful guide for details of roads – hope you'll find a cool place to visit and wish you a good trip...????

my suggestion would be to concentrate on outside venues/action

there are so many obstacles its really not possible to know where you can venture into before arriving. one curb or pole and your blocked and its <deleted> for all. this is a <deleted> country with trash and all sorts of <deleted> in the way and stuff blocking even abled bodied pedestrians its like an obstacle course with people in the way who dont move etc.

theres nothing around thats gojng to cater to a dissbility from what i have seen, thats for sure.

the good part is that i prefer outdoor street drinking and girl action anyhow, though i completely understand wanting to see the dancers inside etc.

nana hotel btw is right in the action. wide open parking lot with hooters there and nana plaza directly across the street and epicenter for street girls lining up in the parking lot. its car accessible so there are no curbs. may be a good option if you want to hang out in the center of things without being driven around and also there will be girl options there any time of the day or night waiting for a short stroll (i mean roll) in. not sure if the nana hotel is disability friendly but might be. could call or email and ask.

I am pretty sure that NANA has an elevator in the complex, at each end of the complex to get up the levels.  Mildly possible to wheel around the lower level although some of the gogos have a step or two to get up. Getting there and dropped off is possible as cars and vans can drive right by the entrance, although usually busy and stop and go traffic

Have rarely been to Cowboy so except for some online videos I have no first hand knowledge.

Phuket and Patong is fairly flat and that stretch of Bangla road is closed to auto traffic.  Did not go in any of them my last trip last year so really can't recall the gogo step or ramp details.

Pattaya is somewhat possible to wheel around, although not on just about any of the sidewalks.  Several wheel around during the day or motor about.  Some of the gogos have steps up and few have ramps.  Soi 8 for example.  Those little gogos you could not wheel up. Soi LK Metro just below Soi Bukhao might be the easiest to wheel around.  The L shaped street is closed to autos and most of the gogos are right there on street level.  Don't recall too many steps but some did have a step up.   Sorry can't be more specific.

Infamous soi 6 not too traffic busy for a wheel chair.  So many clubs there I can't speak to how many had no steps.  Clubs are pretty small so few if any had a need for ramps.

Oh and as a few have mentioned it really will not be hard to hire some local "help" to keep you company, help you around, push here or there.  Happens all the time.  Hire a tour guide for a few days.  You might be surprised how easy it is to make a hook up.  Compensate the girl and both sides can have a good time.

Edited by gk10002000
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, fhickson said:

my suggestion would be to concentrate on outside venues/action

there are so many obstacles its really not possible to know where you can venture into before arriving. one curb or pole and your blocked and its fuked for all. this is a fuked country with trash and all sorts of <deleted> in the way and stuff blocking even abled bodied pedestrians its like an obstacle course with people in the way who dont move etc.

theres nothing around thats gojng to cater to a dissbility from what i have seen, thats for sure.

the good part is that i prefer outdoor street drinking and girl action anyhow, though i completely understand wanting to see the dancers inside etc.

nana hotel btw right in the action. wide open parking lot with hooters there and nana plaza directly across the street and epicenter for street girls lining up in the parking lot. its car accessible so there are no curbs. may be a good option if you want to hang out in the center of things without being driven around and also there will be girl options there any time of the day or night waiting for a short stroll (i mean roll) in. not sure if the nsna hotel is disability friendly but might be. could call or email and ask.

I stayed in NANA hotel last August.  Easy in and out and has proper elevators.  Not sure how handicapped rooms are or if any, wheel in shower stall, right sized tables, etc.  But depending on the level of the OP's condition, a special room may not be an issue.  I actually enjoyed the outdoor pool and the bed in the room was comfortable.  Room was a bit too noisy though due to the high speed fan and AC.  I took the more expensive room.  front door definitely had a small wheel chair ramp.  You can see it in this video.  NANA may be your best and easiest option.  NANA plaza right across the street should keep you busy for a while. 

The American HOOTERs next door is, well over rated.  Food and drinks are pricey.  It is basically open air so you won't be in AC and cool if weather is hot. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A98gwDueRjg

Sorry if what I am about to say has already been said. I am in a hurry.

First, I applaud you and your mate for not letting the chairs stop you. 

Second, Nana Plaza has 2 elevators that go to the 2nd and third floors. Most bars are then accessible to you. Definitely the best ones are.

I also applaud Thailand. Guys who would normally have little chance w hotties have plenty in Thailand. Just don't get too intoxicated and try to go down the stairs! Rave on dudes!

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 6:18 PM, sapson said:

Pattaya may be a more fun easy option for you guys.

Many resort style hotels with bungalows by the pool and plenty of wheelchair friendly hotels.

Hundreds of girlie bars with thousands of girls who by the very nature of the town are quite welcoming and experienced with wheel chair bound guys wanting some fun and relaxation.

For sure you would find a suitable friendly bar with girls a plenty willing to help you party if you guys spread a bit of goodwill and grease your wheels and theirs!

Good luck and enjoy!!

I agree. I Pattaya especially the gogo's the staff will go out of their way to help. The girls are very accomodating. Just avoid the very busy ones which can make it dangerous. I would avoid Bangkok guys, the girls have an attitude.

Agree Nana Hotel opposite Nana Plaza may be a good bet. Any time I've stayed there I've seen an elderly American in a wheelchair, was told he was a regular long-term resident.

The breakfast room access has a few stairs but they used to set up a table for him outside the restaurant and the staff would do the bufet run for him. Friendly guy, always got a 'mornin'' from him.

1 hour ago, jimn said:

I agree. I Pattaya especially the gogo's the staff will go out of their way to help. The girls are very accomodating. Just avoid the very busy ones which can make it dangerous. I would avoid Bangkok guys, the girls have an attitude.

[I would avoid Bangkok guys, the girls have an attitude.]

oooh... the dangers of a misplaced comma! I suspect the Op plans to avoid Bangkok guys and head straight for the girls.

With a positive attitude and some cash I think the Op will get all the help he needs wherever he goes.

Stairs are obviously the difficult area, there may not always be some strong guys around to help. 

If the Op and his friends hire a van and a driver for the night, he’s sorted.

Nana ground floor is obviously an option, but the 2nd and 3rd level are obviously not accessible.

Soi Cowboy is all on one level and possibly the best option for the Op, also walking Street in Pattaya.

Edited by richard_smith237

I can’t imagine a guy with in a wheel chair would have a problem getting into a Bangkok gash-joint. 

You’ll have eight scantily clad “specimens” in a tug of war. Grab one you (any way you like) like and she’ll make sure you get in...

On 1/20/2020 at 4:09 PM, PhineusFreek said:

Were not worried about pavements. Thats what taxis are for . Were just not wanting to be sat in our chairs and not able to get to the bar or getting trampled on thd disco floor. I heard the Thai birds can be a bit picky about guys in wheelies ? Right?

I would  say that if you are  game enough you will do ok with some proviso's. For  sure  access and pavements are  challenging  enough  for anyone in many places. But in the many places you are likely  to receive enthusiastic reception and offers of assistance  just be damn sure  you know were  your  real wallet is. On yah!  Roll on !

On 1/21/2020 at 8:52 AM, Nelson52 said:

There's at leat 2 bars in Cowboy that have wheelchair access that I can think of and have space inside for you. Lighthouse is one with a ramp outside

And ive seen bouncers or staff lifting guys in chairs into or out of bar on numerous occasions

If you guys arent against a little assistance  I reckon youll do fine.

9 hours ago, moe666 said:

If you got the money they will carry you up the stairs, but as said before SOI Cowboy the best as most bars on street level. If you spread the money around and a bit funny will chat the girls up get ready for some fun

and if your broke or skint in a wheelchair you wont get much help or assistance at all...

just thought id throw that out there

If you are fat, or big in any way it is already very hard to navigate places here, specially the ones to which many people go.

Usually, in capitals in Asia you have a "rule of thumb": The more space you require, the more you will have to pay for that.

Expensive places have good space, spaced tables, open routes, and etc. Cheaper places often have not even space to be comfortably seated due to another chair from another table be right next to yours, sometimes even touching one another.

"If you got the money honey ... "

Many of these taxis trunks have a lpg gas tank inside so not room for a chair  much less 2.  If you have enough money I think it would be wise to secure a transportation van or two to have on call and maybe even a man to assist you as a security guard / helper.  I did see a wheel chair going down soy Cowboy last week.  I actually have thought quite a bit about the lack of Mobility on the sidewalks in Bangkok because I don't think any of my parents could handle a trip to Bangkok because of how high the steps are on the sidewalks and how narrow and uneven the pavement is in many places including where they plop a police box on a corner with not much more than 18 in of width between a wall and the police box or 10" on the outside the police box and a curb.  Some of these bottlenecks on these 3 m wide sidewalks create a one-person bottleneck.   Stepping in the street can be deadly here.  It's hard for me to believe they do such stupid things on the walking surfaces.  It's like each step must be watched  as if hiking in nature.   the unevenness of the walking surfaces is totally unacceptable in modern society. It is amazing the poor quality of craftsmanship on Thailand sidewalks. They will do a repair and just patch with cement and even if it's too much they will just heap the pile over because they don't want to haul the excess away or if it's not enough  they leave ot 5 cm lower. Many times  there is settling  and they just throw a bag of gravel or cement on top of the hole as it starts to settle into the sewer system. So many times they do not even use a trowling tool to smooth off the top of the cement and of course pedestrians continue to step on it as well as dogs and cats.

In Thailand money will buy everything. Bring lots of money and set your expectations  amazingly High. 

Soi cowboy  would be good access and you could ne dropped off safely  at each end of the 150 meter long soi.  Here is the typical step up into the bars and some do have  a ramp.  Nana would be so hard to negotiate outside of the plaza as a healthy person can barely  go down the sidewalks  and the traffic is  heavy on the road.  

20200119_182625.jpg

Edited by Elkski

14 hours ago, Sabugorn said:

If you are fat, or big in any way it is already very hard to navigate places here, specially the ones to which many people go.

Usually, in capitals in Asia you have a "rule of thumb": The more space you require, the more you will have to pay for that.

Expensive places have good space, spaced tables, open routes, and etc. Cheaper places often have not even space to be comfortably seated due to another chair from another table be right next to yours, sometimes even touching one another.

"If you got the money honey ... "

personal space is a luxury here, and privacy demands a premium.

if your small they just crowd in closer.

Edited by fhickson

A Few Years ago i took a friends Son To Thailand, I took him to Pattaya, He has Cerebral Palsy. He just could not walk, only a few steps, He was a 100% , He got more  attention than i did, Some Thai women dont see minor handicaps.  Yes i know its about money, One lady took care of him for a week ,  he enjoyed the time, Oh and i did not tell dad lol.

Edited by Thongkorn
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 2:12 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Beergarden in soi 7

Loads of bars in Queen Pak Plaza soi 22 (will tear the whole place down pretty soon though, don't know the exact date), most will move to soi 7 

Update most bars moved to soi 7 already and are wheel chair friendly

re: queen park plaza bar complex

i used to live right by there. rarely went in.

i cant see the op really having a great time there. all it is is a bunch of small bars and its mostly empty of patrons. there are girls who will serve you, but its mostly just sitting there drinking and doing nothing.

Edited by fhickson

On 1/23/2020 at 2:00 AM, fhickson said:

and if your broke or skint in a wheelchair you wont get much help or assistance at all...

just thought id throw that out there

I think you are absolutely incorrect. It’s been my experience that Thai people generally seem very helpful and friendly.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2020 at 9:00 AM, yogi100 said:

Pattaya might be a better bet. In Soi LK Metro, an entertainment centre most GGBs have ramps leading up to the entrance.

The girls always make a fuss of blokes in wheelchairs.

I see quite a few men in wheelchairs in Pattaya. Many go-go bars have ramps for easy access. The girls usually take special care of these blokes. 

Lots of misinformation here,! 

They just laid down a new footpath between soi 4 and terminal 21 and absolutely no problem for wheel chairs and plenty of them. So you have a clear run between Nana plaza and soi cowboy. 

Posters that don't live there, repeating worn out clichés is not helping 

OP bring a fat wallet, the girls don't discriminate 

Enjoy!