New battery for CBR 150 R(2014)

Randell

Is there any reason why with a brand new battery (1250 baht ) that the bike should run a bit better. A bit more acceleration just a bit more crisp all around? Or is it totally in my imagination. Not that i noticed any lack before the battery issue. It was two years old and  two or three time before it wouldn't start took a bit extra to get it to fire up. I just put it down to the extra cool mornings here in Chiang Rai. and then two days ago it wouldn't fire up and  quickly had no cranking power. Got a push start with a bit of effort 2 or 3 attempts. Got to my local Honda shop in Wiang Chai and he first put the battery on the charger but there were so few lights showing once hooked up he said  it need changing and so I did. But the thing is of course I was glad to have it back running again but the difference in the final trip to the Honda shop and the trip home after the new battery seemed to me to  be very different.

Will some one please tell me if its all in my head or what?

3 hours ago, Randell said:

Will some one please tell me if its all in my head or what?

Not necessary a new battery fitted and with the terminals cleaned up will make a difference marginally to electronic components on a motorcycle that had an old end of life battery.   

I've had a strange problem with a battery going  short circuit  and the bike would not start for love or money

it was an old kickstart only bike  drove to immigration ( for 90 day report)  parked up for 10 minutes came back

it wouldn't start..got it pushed to a local repair shack  and they diagnosed  the battery  but I  was doubtful as the thing had run without a battery for years...but changing the battery did indeed do the trick..the battery I had only recently installed had gone bad resulting in no spark at the spark plug ( could have also just disconnected the  bad battery and run without it )

so I can imagine that a bad battery could  result in a weak spark and so poor performance...with new battery  lovely big spark and back to full power.

Well either way its definitely running better so I'm happy. Still a 50 50 call it seems with no definitive  answer but one unexplained from Papa. So no worries here I just thought maybe there was something more to it. 

One finally question is two years good for a battery. Should they last longer? Possibly not charging good any more? At 1250 baht still fine for two year running with out a glitch.

So thanks to all for your quick responses.

I would say 2 years is a little on the low side..but  (lead acid) batteries don't last long in Thailand they don't like heat and they don't like being deeply discharged, or not being fully recharged after use...

so lots of short journeys starting the engine with the starter motor,lights on all the time maybe the  brake light switch faulty so it stays on, after market gizmo's could all lead to shortened battery life.

6 minutes ago, johng said:

I would say 2 years is a little on the low side..but  (lead acid) batteries don't last long in Thailand they don't like heat and they don't like being deeply discharged, or not being fully recharged after use...

so lots of short journeys starting the engine with the starter motor,lights on all the time maybe the  brake light switch faulty so it stays on, after market gizmo's could all lead to shortened battery life.

So would the way it quit, good one day and gone the next couple be indicative of bad charging  and shorter life . I live quite a ways out of town so even shortest trips for me are 20 to 30 minutes driving. So I would think if the charging unit working properly that the battery shouldn't degrade so quickly. But that said if that's the added to the maintenance cost over 2 year its ok with me. I just felt that the battery's should last a fair bit longer thanks for your reply 

8 minutes ago, Randell said:

So would the way it quit, good one day and gone the next couple be indicative of bad charging

I don't think so ..thats just how they fail.

its quite easy to check the charging circuit with a voltmeter on the battery terminals with the engine running  you should see a DC voltage of above 13 volts

13V - 14.8V   lower or higher than those values likely means there is something  wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quite possible. I had a battery die suddenly but I was due to set off for a rally so I bump started the bike and went. When it was time to go home, the bike just started, reluctantly then ran badly and wouldn't stay running. Reckont he bad battery was taking all the charge leaving none for the ignition.

• Like 1