British tourist fighting for life in Thailand feared to be first western victim of mystery Chinese coronavirus

webfact

12 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Yes. At the airport, train stations, bus stations in Wuhan.

what about the ones driving to nearby provinces/cities and get into the planes/trains/bus for better traveling deals, how they control them.... my in laws in Hunan, yesterday, told us they have 5-6 in their city hospital, they were driving when they felt sick.... great control they have

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lemonjelly said:

If he hasn’t recently been to Wuhan, the virus is now present in Thai livestock or it’s transmitted from person to person which considering the high infection rate being reported in China seems unfortunately to be the case, if he has the new corona virus that is. 

I think fake story. 

46 minutes ago, yumyai said:

The only reports so far are from the Sun, Mirror and Daily Mail. Anyone seen this confirmed by a media source with any credibility? 

Not in Thai news.

They check Wuhan people in Phuket airport for the problem.

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So far... there's no evidence of human to human transmission for this virus. And WHO has, thus far, specifically advised against any travel restrictions.

the same WHO that also advised for no travel restrictions after the 2018 ebola epidemic outbreak in Congo.... maybe WHO is financed by the big pharmaceutical/labs companies..... btw, BBC reporter did say there was evidence of human to human transmission. The Chinese originally claimed 21 people infected, 12 returned home, 1 dead, the remaining balance? no comment, couple days later they said it was 49 infected, yesterday they said 138 or 139....BBC health reporter claimed there are more then 1,700 people infected one way or another, since China has so many people, this later number appear to be more accurate but I can't confirm it, knowing China because lived there for 12 years, no way Chinese government will tell the truth, there's no way, if they do it will create panic, they do provide information on the government news TV but barely no details, coverage is very short and lacks information, they speak about it the same way they speak about the rain or the snow

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

the same WHO that also advised for no travel restrictions after the 2018 ebola epidemic outbreak in Congo....

Ya, I wasn't arguing the no HtoH part is conclusively known or confirmed... just that that remains WHO's current assessment. Time will tell...

93462372_2020-01-2018_41_59.jpg.ee52089782c82f2aa02929ebc92a79fc.jpg

1982317128_2020-01-2018_42_16.jpg.9c32ab2b940b505fcb859b407a653f2d.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

An impressive response from the medical services. 

Its good to see this response rather than ‘no insurance no hospital’ type approach... 

Even in unfortunate circumstances it’s good to see Thailand in a positive light in the news for a change. 

??

Well, he has insurance and also a gofundme.

Hope all generously donate to his cause.

The Thai Min of Pub Health has a webpage on the Chinese virus...

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/

And lists the following info via Google Translate:

• Ministry of Public Health By the Department of Disease Control Have screening screening measures And prevent disease control Coronary pneumonia as follows:

1) Screening for people traveling from Wuhan city at the international communicable disease control checkpoint at 4 airports, namely Suvarnabhumi Airport, Don Mueang, Chiang Mai and Phuket.

2) Requesting cooperation for hospitals to screen patients at Have a fever Together with respiratory symptoms such as cough, sore throat, runny nose, wheezing And have a history of traveling to Wuhan city and

3) Community surveillance By educating the public When a traveler arrives from an epidemic area, there is a fever with a respiratory condition such as cough, sore throat, runny nose, wheezing. Inform local health personnel or the Department of Disease Control Hotline DDC Hotline 1422.

Also....from Thai MoPH on the same page:

• Traveling from Wuhan to Thailand There are direct airlines to Suvarnabhumi Airport, Don Mueang, Chiang Mai and Phuket. The journey takes about 3 hours 30 minutes to Bangkok. And with an average of 1,200 inbound passengers a day

Seems there was a further update from the Thai MoPH on last Friday...

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/declaration/declaration_170163.pd

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/declaration.html

From January 3-16, 2020, among 86 flights, 13,624 passengers and crew members have been screened, and 21 patients met the criteria for investigation. Most of the cases have been found to be infected with influenza virus, and 12 cases recovered and were allowed to return home.

There are two confirmed cases who have been treated in an isolation ward at Bamrasnaradura Infectious Disease Institute. The first confirmed case has recovered and has no fever. The case is currently waiting for confirmation that she is no longer infectious, upon which the doctor will then allow the patient to go home. The same protocol applies to the second confirmed case who is being treated and has been monitoring for further confirmation of no viremia before returning to home.

Among the 16 close contacts of the first confirmed case and the 20 close contacts of the second confirmed case, the novel coronavirus has not been found.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Well, this is reported by 'The Sun' no less who clearly haven't done their homework. High altitude travel is not possible from an island with no airport!

Well when was the Sun ever know for high quality accurate reporting ... On the other hand if a diver gets into trouble and have to be flown to a hospital that has a decompression tank - They will be flown at just a few thousand feet ASL.  Maybe something along that line here .. Lung problem .. get a sea plane and fly low ...     

3 hours ago, hithere said:

Rough sea, could think a few things more as well

With the seas we have at the moment, a speedboat would take maximum 1 hour 45 minutes. Arrival close to the best hospitals. 

All in all probably much faster than organising seaplane and transfer from landing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And yet Thailand's first imported cases out of China was allowed to travel by air out of Wuhan despite having come down with a variety of symptoms several days prior to her flight.  Only to then be detected and caught upon arrival at Swampy.

Yes, in the early days of the outbreak before they knew the nature of the virus and had just started screening. It has an incubation period as do all viral diseases.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Well, this is reported by 'The Sun' no less who clearly haven't done their homework. High altitude travel is not possible from an island with no airport!

if you're going to cut and paste stories here it's advisable to use a reliable source not a tabloid rag.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

what about the ones driving to nearby provinces/cities and get into the planes/trains/bus for better traveling deals, how they control them.... my in laws in Hunan, yesterday, told us they have 5-6 in their city hospital, they were driving when they felt sick.... great control they have

Yes dear, of course the admissions lists are out in the public domain. It's not a matter of 'feeling sick' there are million ways to get pneumonia, most of them are simply bronchiolitis in elderly or already sick people .

They swept the pnuemonia wards across Wuhan, tested the 117 cases and found none of them had this virus.

By the way, Wuhan and Changsha (Hunan) aren't nearby. Its 346 miles by car. Bit far to go for a better deal.

If's and and's, pots and pans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

I guessing you don't know the Chinese way of tracking.... they are only tracking potential dissidents, the rest (virus included) are not important, let the outside world deal with it,  they have too many people over there, 1.4 billion, a couple 1.000's dead it's not a big deal

Utter rot. They have a whole branch of their health service dedicated to the prevention of communicable diseases.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Yes, in the early days of the outbreak before they knew the nature of the virus and had just started screening. It has an incubation period as do all viral diseases.

Not so early...

The case is a 61-year-old Chinese woman living in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China. On 5 January 2020, she developed fever with chills, sore throat and headache. On 8 January 2020, she took a direct flight to Thailand from Wuhan City together with five family members in a tour group of 16 people. The traveler with febrile illness was detected on the same day by thermal surveillance at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK), Thailand, and was hospitalized the same day. 

The local authorities in China let her fly out of the country, and yet a few hours later, she was detected and stopped at Swampy via heat screening for having a fever, and ultimately diagnosed with the virus...

The Thai authorities spotted her. The Chinese authorities did not.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

33 minutes ago, stevenl said:

With the seas we have at the moment, a speedboat would take maximum 1 hour 45 minutes. Arrival close to the best hospitals. 

All in all probably much faster than organising seaplane and transfer from landing.

But how many speedboats are set up as ambulances with proper facilities?

Also, any indication whether the guy was vaping?  There's been some horror stories about people vaping the wrong fluids and ending up in a similar condition... 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, impulse said:

But how many speedboats are set up as ambulances with proper facilities?

Also, any indication whether the guy was vaping?  There's been some horror stories about people vaping the wrong fluids and ending up in a similar condition... 

How many sightseeing seaplanes available on short notice are set up as ambulances?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

How many sightseeing seaplanes available on short notice are set up as ambulances?

Thailand has a thriving offshore oil industry out of Songkhla and Sattahip.  Nearby countries, even more so.  And a seaplane ambulance could have come up from Singapore or KL or down from BKK, where outfits like SOS International have them pre-situated.  And I'm pretty sure the Thai military has assets like that on call.

I don't know where they'd find a seaplane like that.  But it's not my job to know.  It is theirs.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Just now, impulse said:

Thailand has a thriving offshore oil industry out of Songkhla and Sattahip.  Nearby countries, even more so.  And a seaplane ambulance could have come up from Singapore or KL or down from BKK, where outfits like SOS International have them pre-situated.  And I'm pretty sure the Thai military has assets like that on call.

Sure, all maybe options.

And there was me thinking he had to be rushed to a better equipped hospital.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Sure, all maybe options.

And there was me thinking he had to be rushed to a better equipped hospital.

Which is more important, getting him to a better equipped hospital a little faster, or keeping up his treatment enroute, while not bouncing him around on a speedboat for a couple of hours?  

Once again...  I don't know.  I wasn't there, and it's not my job anyway.  Fortunately, there are people who do that for a living.

I've never heard of thermal surveillance before.  How does it work?  Is it just a fancy word for checking someone's temperature, or is it the futuristic scanning of literally everyone in the airport robocop style like I hope it is.

Edited by randymarsh