Smooth retirement extension at Jomtien Immigration

5 hours ago, Max69xl said:

OP's post is actually interesting for people staying in Pattaya. A couple of weeks ago a poster reported when doing his 1 year extension based on retirement, Jomtien Immigration required a handwritten map and 3 photos of his condo. The map is no problem, I can probably write a map blind folded. But providing photos for an extension based on retirement is unheard of at Jomtien Immigration. 

I think we can all agree the Immigration is consistently..inconsistent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

I think we can all agree the Immigration is consistently..inconsistent.

Jomtien Immigration is normally very consistent. I still think that the person at immigration who asked for a map + photos was a newbie,  maybe because of the high season. 

On 1/21/2020 at 7:51 AM, bbi1 said:

Guess they got nothing better to do than announce to the whole world that they had no issues getting an extension of stay. Imagine how cluttered and annoying this forum would be if everyone started posting how glad they were to get an extension of stay granted for all the different types of Thai visas!

bbi1, in light of the recent issues revolving around O-A visa, extensions based upon retirement, and the issues at Jomtien, then yes this post is relevant in the fact that it should for a few calm the fears that immigration has caused.  However, there are those that have caused their own problems.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, warrenv said:

I just renewed My extension the first week in Jan. with no issues. One reason for posting is because even the experts on the Thai Visa page told me it was impossible for me to get my Visa extended with the payments I made before hand. The main reason for posting is to clear the Air. If you go to the Bank they will issue you the correct paperwork you need to extend your Visa. The same guy that sits at the end of desk #5 has done it since I have been here. If you can not figure how to get the paperwork to him properly do not bother him just go find some Visa agent and pay them to do it for you.

"The same guy that sits at the end of desk #5 has done it since I have been here."

What do you mean by that comment? Desk 5? This thread is about an extension at Jomtien Immigration. 

On 1/21/2020 at 7:01 AM, Kerryd said:

After all, according to some, Immigration is "out to get us all".
Hmmmm, I wonder how it is that most people seem to be able to get through there without any problems if Immigration is really trying to get rid of us all.

So, how about people on OAs who, some for decades, have had Health Insurance and who must now buy some useless anusholed Thai insurance?

2 hours ago, Momofarang said:

So, how about people on OAs who, some for decades, have had Health Insurance and who must now buy some useless anusholed Thai insurance?

The health insurance wasn't Immigrations idea, they just have to enforce it. 

On 1/21/2020 at 7:01 AM, Kerryd said:

Perhaps because there are so many stories from people try to make it out like Immigration (everywhere) is (supposedly) out to get foreigners and always (supposedly) looking for the smallest error to justify turning down an extension ?

Because as we all know (sarcasm intended), it's never the foreigners fault.
They never make a mistake and even if they do, they seem to think that Immigration should be bowing down, apologizing and kissing their @55 because they are godly (white) foreigners.

(Yes, there are a lot of racist pric** here who have exactly that attitude. One of the reasons I don't hang out with many foreigners any more.)

I usually post my Extension experience every year as well, including the list of paperwork/photocopies needed and anything new that comes up while I'm there. Like how the one year they added a page you had to sign acknowledging the penalties you faced for overstay. And like last year when they gave you a photocopy of the Police regs about having to maintain the bank balance and a date when you had to come back to show your bank books.

And like CH1961, I breeze through every year without problem. 

I'm sure it has nothing to do with appearing in a presentable fashion, having all my paperwork in order, not acting like an arrogant <deleted> and not trying to scam the system.

After all, according to some, Immigration is "out to get us all".
Hmmmm, I wonder how it is that most people seem to be able to get through there without any problems if Immigration is really trying to get rid of us all.

i agree, i've never had any issues, problems or reasons to complain about any IO, though when i see how some foreigners dress and behave at immigration i can understand why some IOs may become fed up...

i never have problems with taxis in bangkok either.

maybe i'm just lucky...

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

The health insurance wasn't Immigrations idea, they just have to enforce it. 

Which, of course, they are doing extremely selectively given that only retirees with original non-OA visas are being targeted.

11 hours ago, OJAS said:

Which, of course, they are doing extremely selectively given that only retirees with original non-OA visas are being targeted.

I have seen two reports - one second hand and the other first hand - of folks over age 80 obtaining renewals of their retirement extension without being asked to show health insurance -- both had O-A as their underlying Visa.  One was at Pattaya Immigration and the other was not (don't recall which Immigration Office). So, perhaps the IOs are being lenient to those that they know are too old to get health insurance from one of the "acceptable" Thai companies.

2 hours ago, soisanuk said:

So, perhaps the IOs are being lenient to those that they know are too old to get health insurance from one of the "acceptable" Thai companies.

I just don't see that happening. The mentality seems to be apply the rules blinkered, sometimes misinterpreted rules. I am more inclined to believe the guys don't really have extensions based on an O-A original Permit To Stay.

I did hear of one report pertaining to an older guy, at Pattaya who was in ill health, having his original O-A 'converted' to a O without any travel. This was a 'special' requiring an agent and some payment.