Which smart phone for my 10-year old daughter?

Dario

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

That goes few years back, but I refused giving my kids a phone while in primary school even though most of their friends had phones. We always sent them to / picked them up from school and if they had to call us there were public phones at school or sometimes they's borrow a friend's phone.

At matayom they got a bit more freedom - we still sent them to school, but allowed them to go out of school with friends so at that point they got the simplest 500 THB phone so they can call us and we could call them when needed. After graduating from high school they got their first good quality Samsung smartphones. 

But talking to friends with young kids now, they say that most if not every class have line or facebook groups for the kids and many times the teachers also use this medium to send information and not being able to join these groups will leave the kids disconnected and isolated so it's a tough call. I wouldn't do anything due to peer pressure and always told my kids not to give in to such pressure, so I'd say you have to consider the actual necessity of having a phone. If it's just "because everybody have them" I'd say no. If it's a practical tool then yes, but probably no need to go for the top of the line - just the phone that will answer to their actual needs.

BTW - it worked well for us. None of my kids are glued to their phones 24/7. They use it as a tool and not live their life through it. When they are working / studying / socializing with friends they put the phone away.

Good ,  interesting advice . I think I'll take it and not give him a phone in Pratum , even  if he gets peer pressure to get one , then monitor the necessity to have one in Matyom ( if the teachers use them in class for study ). Something that annoys me very much is that a lot of the teachers in Pratum , including farangs look at their phones in class , in front of the kids , for what is obviously private stuff eg photos , jokes etc .

Edited by gimo
change info

2 hours ago, Ventenio said:

Iphone 11 max plus if you want her to love you

If under 20,000 baht, love turns into "strong like"

and if under 10,000 baht, expect to be hated for life

Kids are super expensive.  30,000,000 baht for their lifetime if you really provide for them (school, everything.)

Money is nothing when compared to the smile you kid gets when you give him an iPhone 11 max plus.

lol

hand him/her two cups with a string.  

Best thing you can give your kids is your time .

it's a bit of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" issue

kids can (and likely will) get bullied for not having phone

but on the other end

they can be poor shamed for having a "cheap" phone. some kids even get poor shamed for having an Android instead of iphone (that is a thing)

and then the resentment falls onto the parents because you purchased it

if you give your child a phone this early they will be happy but their development will suffer in other ways.

they become addicted to it, social skills quality will go down, probably chores as well, and attitude is likely to go way up.

none of this is something that the child will see happen to themselves so they are likely to act like YOU are stupid for reacting to something that - to them - didn't happen

but you will notice. teachers (depending on quality) probably will too

especially for a girl I would think about it a long time, chances are they will be pressured to use the camera in.. not good ways

to be fair, I don't have a daughter but I know I would worry about these things quite a bit if I did.

my sons going to be 19 next month, had his first phone at 15 but there was not much to become addicted to for him (already had games on his computer, etc)

17 hours ago, Dario said:

You're probably right. Once the kids have one, it's hard to get them off the phone. And this is across our planet. And everything (education, whatever) and every one suffers from their addiction ...

Parents need to be aware of the health risks, too. Radiation from smartphones may cause cancer, and children's relatively thin skulls make them particularly vulnerable. 

http://www.sbwire.com/press-releases/cancer-expert-declares-cell-phone-and-wireless-radiation-as-carcinogenic-to-humans-849135.htm

• Haha 1

If you must buy her a phone, Xiami are quite good, BUT IMHO a 10 year old is too young to have a phone at all. Kids need to communicate & interact with each other and adults without having to be dragged away from their phones. They become addicted to them and it also makes them extremely rude as they ignore verbal communication because they are too busy playing with their phones. No phone before age 16 unless it is a prepaid with no internet access other than wifi. That will also keep the phone bill from getting out of control.

So.... An iPhone is the thing to go with when it comes to kids and girls. This will for sure make her more popular in school. And unfortunately this is what it's all about. A full cover or flip case is a must for a 10 year old. Yes it's a good phone but everything costs extra whereas on a android phone you have many apps for free. I myself would choose an Xiaomi or Huawei.

40 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

If you must buy her a phone, Xiami are quite good, BUT IMHO a 10 year old is too young to have a phone at all. Kids need to communicate & interact with each other and adults without having to be dragged away from their phones. They become addicted to them and it also makes them extremely rude as they ignore verbal communication because they are too busy playing with their phones. No phone before age 16 unless it is a prepaid with no internet access other than wifi. That will also keep the phone bill from getting out of control.

I had same thoughts 10 years ago regarding my children. But felt bad seeing my children looking at other children's phones when they play or interact on social media. So just embrace the future and go with it. 

20 hours ago, Dario said:

I know the Chinese are improving a lot now and are on the way to beat Apple, Samsung & Co. Maybe a very good Oppo? Who has some experience or ideas to put forward?

Oppo, my daughter had Oppo since she was about 10 – best selfie phone...???? – she continue using Oppo, as it's fast and has some of the best cameras. The latest Oppo models equals iPhone for half the price (Oppo Reno vs iPhone 11); however there's a wide range of models, from affordable to still affordable. We started with a model at about 4,500 baht, today you can have an Oppo A9 for that money...:thumbsup:

• Like 1

https://www.apple.com/th/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-11-pro/จอภาพขนาด-6.5-นิ้ว-256gb-ทอง

The iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB - shows as 45,900 baht but I see underneath the words "VAT".  .

I think thats a wonderful, responsible, decision.  All 10 year old children deserve a 46,000 ($1533) telephone. 

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Have a look what a top apple expert has to say. He has lot's of great videos.

You actually believe someone on utube calling themselves an expert ???? this is a very old an out dated video and much of what he talks about that he couldn’t do then is now possible.

We are also looking to buy our 12yr old son a phone as well but not planning on spending any big bucks on his first phone, iPhone 11 for example would be out of the question.

Edited by Mbaki

37 minutes ago, Mbaki said:

You actually believe someone on utube calling themselves an expert ???? this is a very old an out dated video and much of what he talks about that he couldn’t do then is now possible.

If you like look at his current videos.

He is an expert in repairing Apple devices. And I mean a real expert, he does not just change boards, he changes individual components under a microscope, after he analyzes what is wrong. And he makes videos about it.

There are not too many people around with his skill level and knowledge about Apple products.

Just watch - and learn. And if you decide you know better than don't be surprised if one day you find out you should have listened to him. ????

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dario said:

Isn't Huawei on a war path with Donald Trump or vice versa? I thought Huawei has to develop its own OS or am I wrong? If a Huawei,  which newer model would you suggest, now that we are in 2020?

Have you heard about Xiaomi? Really priceworthy phones with very good specs.

Who is buying an iPhone for a 10 year old girl? It's got glass on the front and the back and won't last 3 months in the hands of a kid. She also seem a bit spoiled when asking for an iPhone at that age. So why do you really ask for advise here? 

35 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Isn't Huawei on a war path with Donald Trump or vice versa? I thought Huawei has to develop its own OS or am I wrong? If a Huawei,  which newer model would you suggest, now that we are in 2020?

I wouldn't get Huawei just because last time I tried to assist my friend who had one, she wanted to reset it and had thousands of thousands of pictures, I plug it in USB and it's forcing me to install an app which in the end didn't work and just wasted my time.

she was frustrated that I was having a laugh at her phone so I plugged my Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 in my computer (for the first time), had a popup on phone asking if i wanted to transfer files or charge so I touched the first one and bam! popped up a folder that I could have access to files (and SD card directly)

I don't like Apple phone/devices for the same reason as above and many more mind you. (closed OS is BS)

also the Iphone 11 is 6x the price of a base Redmi Note 7 and does nothing better (and a lot of things worse)

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9513&idPhone2=9848

at the end of the day, most people (especially under 20-30) use their phone for browsing the internet, Facebook+Messenger, Instagram, Line, phone calls, GPS and taking pictures

edit, was trying to quote Dario but it shows Max hah. can't edit it out properly

Edited by kekalot
quote wrong

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you like look at his current videos.

He is an expert in repairing Apple devices. And I mean a real expert, he does not just change boards, he changes individual components under a microscope, after he analyzes what is wrong. And he makes videos about it.

There are not too many people around with his skill level and knowledge about Apple products.

Just watch - and learn. And if you decide you know better than don't be surprised if one day you find out you should have listened to him. ????

I repair my own apple devices as well, but always willing to learn new things.

• Like 1

To close this thread, here is an update. After the tennis practice the other day, Amy told me, she doesn't want an iPhone. She wants a black Oppo (my wife and I use Oppo phones). So yesterday my wife and I went to the True shop and chose a better Oppo than we have, an Oppo A5. It has all what she might need: a 6.5" HD screen, a 5'000 mAh battery, three cameras, a CPU Snapdragon 665 and 64 GB memory for a mere 1'590 Baht. Since she's going to use her old phone number, she can continue to use her monthly 499 Baht/package. 

And the best thing of it: she has agreed to use the phone for just one hour per day. 

IMG20200121155121s.jpg

Edited by Dario
  • Like 2