Do I have to update my passport data in a bank?

I have the green bank account which I've had for years. I opened it with a passport which will expire in 2 years. I have a second passport of the same country. Now I'm about to leave the country. Should I better go to a kasikorn branch and update my passport details? If I return in 3 years, will I have any problem to do that?I'll have to show them first my expired passport, right? It may also be shredered if I obtain a new one, in place of it, during the time I'm out of the country.

Edited by miskanotaji

If you're about to leave, I wouldn't bother. I have been here 24 yrs., on 5 yr. Canadian passports (until the most recent one, when we finally got 10 yr. ones.) It has never been an issue for me at various banks. If you are trying to do something and the bank's computer is blinking an error message, tell them then. That happened to me a few weeks ago.

12 hours ago, miskanotaji said:

I'll have to show them first my expired passport, right? It may also be shredered if I obtain a new one, in place of it, during the time I'm out of the country.

I would go in and update it, doesn't take long.

When you get a new passport, they usually cut the front page in half and stamp cancelled on the pages or the front main page, you can also ask to keep it, if they don't give it back to you, just make sure you have a copy and maybe certified by someone that is a true copy if the original.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I would go in and update it, doesn't take long.

When you get a new passport, they usually cut the front page in half and stamp cancelled on the pages or the front main page, you can also ask to keep it, if they don't give it back to you, just make sure you have a copy and maybe certified by someone that is a true copy if the original.

I didn't need a certified copy to update my p.p. details from old to new p.port. 

Not all cut the front page in half.

OP didn't say what countries' PP he holds but in UK, they just cut the corner off old ones and stamp "Cancelled" on all pages.

IMO, do update your details with the bank - if/when you want to change almost anything on the account, you will be asked to show it. I'm going to have to get a new card from SCB in a couple of weeks and I did update my PP details when I changed it last.

When my ATM card was expiring and I needed a new one, things started getting complicated. Had to update everything at the branch where I originally opened the account (which was only opened when I was at work - so that was a day's worth of personal leave) just to get to the point I could ask for new ATM card. It's better to keep it current.

27 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

When my ATM card was expiring and I needed a new one, things started getting complicated. Had to update everything at the branch where I originally opened the account (which was only opened when I was at work - so that was a day's worth of personal leave) just to get to the point I could ask for new ATM card. It's better to keep it current.

I updated two ATM cards last week, they had my old passport details, no issue, in and out in ten minutes with two new cards (SCB) 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Many people have two current passports from their home country. I have two passports (from the UK) and so do many of my friends. Contrary to your apparent disbelief its quite common. 

Agreed. It's not uncommon at all. Some countries will issue a second passport and some won't.

Thailand didn't used to but as of fairly recently, they now do. My wife has 2 current Thai passports.

22 hours ago, miskanotaji said:

If I return in 3 years, will I have any problem to do that?I'll have to show them first my expired passport, right? It may also be shredered if I obtain a new one, in place of it, during the time I'm out of the country.

You should – or rather shall – always keep your bank account, driver's license, and like documents/registrations updated with your current passport data, and especially number.

Some banks – and I'm not sure about K-bank – have your passport number in each bankbook, so if you are required to show your passport it will not fit the bankbook, nor any on screen information, if an old passport is registered. In one of my banks I needed to change all bankbooks.

When I have updated my passport I've never been asked to show the old passport, but in some cases – for example SCB Securities – been asked to fill in a document where I state the old passport number.

Also if you have any customer loyalty cards in your name – Like for example a Central "1" card – you'll need to update your passport, as you cannot use any loyalty points or discounts, if they ask for ID and your new passport number don't fit the registered number (talk from experience).

????

I have been through a dozen passports while working in BKK and depending on which bank, constantly changing passport numbers can be a pain.

This is a good reason why, if you have a Non-Thai (pink) ID card, have the bank switch your primary ID to that number because it never changes.

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

You have 2 current passports from the same country ??????

I won't say I do not believe you but pray, tell more

So do I.

The UK permits two (maybe three), it used to be a lot more.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

You were just lucky, then.

Sorry ???? 

Seriously! lucky that SCB bank's protocol & procedures are sensible enough that you don't have to produce old passports?

In my 40+ years as an expat I have never once been asked to produce an old passport for ID or any other purpose.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

Yes, if you want to do a counter withdrawal they check your passport and it should be the same as the one on record. 

Maybe different from bank to bank, but i used a BBL account for counter withdrawals for a long time. Never had a problem, but when it was full, they asked to verify the passport number, as it was meanwhile the 3. passport. The 1. one i didn't have any more, only the 2. and 3. one. Took about 30 minutes to get everything in order, but wasn't a problem.

3 hours ago, VBF said:

OP didn't say what countries' PP he holds but in UK, they just cut the corner off old ones and stamp "Cancelled" on all pages.

IMO, do update your details with the bank - if/when you want to change almost anything on the account, you will be asked to show it. I'm going to have to get a new card from SCB in a couple of weeks and I did update my PP details when I changed it last.

Have used SCB (at Jomtien) for almost 20 yrs, and never updated anything, and i am at my third passport now...
Never had any problems with new cards or anything else.
Never HEARD before of an updating for new passport...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1