Do I have to update my passport data in a bank?

21 hours ago, allane said:
On 1/22/2020 at 10:41 PM, Just Weird said:

You realise that comments here relate to the context of the OP? 

If you try to make a transaction at the bank that requires a passport and you present only the new one when the bank has only the details of the old passport the new one will not be accepted for ID as it is not the PP connected to the account.

That is a comment which I have found to be untrue on more than one occasion.  Given that my name photograph, nationality, birth date and place of birth have not changed, I have never had a problem at the bank. My most recent experience was a month or so ago. As soon as they saw I had a new passport with a new number, they updated their records.  End of the story. 

No, that's not "end of the story", it generally isn't when someone says that!

I'm commenting on my own experience at BBL Sukhumvit Soi 8/10.  I tried to make a SWIFT transfer and was refused because my new passport number did not match the bank's record (which was my expired passport's number) i.e. my ID was incorrect.  I had to go to Silom, the account holding branch, to change it.

Edited by Just Weird

2 hours ago, allane said:

Several years ago, I walked into an SCB branch in Bangkok where I had never been before. I can't remember what I wanted, but I had my passport with me.  Before I even had a chance to say why I was there, a young clerk grabbed my passport, typed my name into the computer, and told me that she would have to update my passport information before I could proceed any further.

"Before I even had a chance to say why I was there, a young clerk grabbed my passport, typed my name into the computer, and told me that she would have to update my passport information before I could proceed any further".

Yeah, right.

23 hours ago, CGW said:
On 1/23/2020 at 12:50 PM, Just Weird said:

If you show them your new passport that will not correspond with their records that show your old passport number, that's when they find out they have the old details.

The details therein will be identical, name, DOB etc, if you disagree so strongly you need to contact the main banks and tell them they have it wrong and need to update their procedures, tell us how you get along.

"The details therein will be identical..."

No, they won't, the passport number, therein, will be different.

I'm not claiming that the bank's "have it wrong"!  They ask for passport details for a reason, ID and security, and if someone presents the wrong passport they are entitled to refuse the transaction.

I've already posted how I got along...

" I'm commenting on my own experience at BBL Sukhumvit Soi 8/10.  I tried to make a SWIFT transfer and was refused because my new passport number did not match the bank's record (which was my expired passport's number) i.e. my ID was incorrect.  I had to go to Silom, the account holding branch, to change it.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2020 at 7:47 AM, Crossy said:
  On 1/22/2020 at 3:01 AM, maprao said:

US Second passports only carry a validity of 2 years. UK ones ...dont know

USA passports are good for 10 years. If you travel a lot and run out of pages the new passport is good for 10 years from date of issue.