TM28 form

Hi! Just returned from a short vacation from Singapore today. I live in Bangkok with a Thai Wife stamp. Do I need to fill out a TM28 and go to immigration within 24 hours? My yearly stamp is due soon so I just want to make sure about what I need to do. There's been so much conflict about this TM28/30 thing that I'm no longer sure which way is up. Thanks in advance!

I would suggest reading the entire article here is a relevant excerpt. There are many reports of TM30/28 evidence being asked for at 90 day reporting and at extension renewal time. I don't agree with the "Do nothing" advice. Have your Thai wife sign up on the TM30 website (see link below) and just have her put you in the system at least for your arrival. This will be recorded at your local IO.

https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/

“No, we don’t hold foreigners responsible for filing the TM30. Foreigners just need to make sure that they fill in a TM28. The TM30 is the landlord’s job,” Phuket Immigration Deputy Chief Col Nareuwat Putthawiro said plainly on Wednesday (Aug 28). The TM30 is the form for landlords to report to Immigration within 24 hours of the arrival of any foreign tenants, as required under Section 38 of the Thailand Immigration Act of 1979. The TM28 form is for foreigners to report themselves to Immigration after staying away from their registered address for more than 24 hours, as required under Section 37 (c) of the same act. “The TM30 is the house owner’s responsibility, whether the home owner is a Thai or a foreigner,” Col Nareuwat said. If a landlord refuses to – or is unable to – comply by filing a TM30 to report the foreigner as staying, or returning to stay, at the foreigner’s registered address, that is not the foreigner’s responsibliity, Col Nareuwat explained. “All the foreigner has to do is submit a TM28. That’s all the foreigner is responsible for. If the foreigner is applying for an extension to stay, they need not worry about whether or not their landlord has reported them through a TM30 – it will not affect the foreigner’s application,” he added.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/right-on-time- phuket-immigration-explain-tm30-and-tm28-requirements-for-reporting-foreigners-72693.php#1e9lqE4ZWcrS6CBz.97

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

I would suggest reading the entire article here is a relevant excerpt. There are many reports of TM30/28 evidence being asked for at 90 day reporting and at extension renewal time. I don't agree with the "Do nothing" advice. Have your Thai wife sign up on the TM30 website (see link below) and just have her put you in the system at least for your arrival. This will be recorded at your local IO.

“No, we don’t hold foreigners responsible for filing the TM30. Foreigners just need to make sure that they fill in a TM28. The TM30 is the landlord’s job,” Phuket Immigration Deputy Chief Col Nareuwat Putthawiro said plainly on Wednesday (Aug 28). The TM30 is the form for landlords to report to Immigration within 24 hours of the arrival of any foreign tenants, as required under Section 38 of the Thailand Immigration Act of 1979. The TM28 form is for foreigners to report themselves to Immigration after staying away from their registered address for more than 24 hours, as required under Section 37 (c) of the same act. “The TM30 is the house owner’s responsibility, whether the home owner is a Thai or a foreigner,” Col Nareuwat said. If a landlord refuses to – or is unable to – comply by filing a TM30 to report the foreigner as staying, or returning to stay, at the foreigner’s registered address, that is not the foreigner’s responsibliity, Col Nareuwat explained. “All the foreigner has to do is submit a TM28. That’s all the foreigner is responsible for. If the foreigner is applying for an extension to stay, they need not worry about whether or not their landlord has reported them through a TM30 – it will not affect the foreigner’s application,” he added.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/right-on-time- phuket-immigration-explain-tm30-and-tm28-requirements-for-reporting-foreigners-72693.php#1e9lqE4ZWcrS6CBz.97

Nonsense. 90 day report has nothing to do with tm30. Full stop. 

OP deals with CW. 

Can you advise personally your recent experience there re 90 day report or attending for annual extension. 

I can and tm30 not even mentioned. Along with many recent reports.

The OP, inquired about next extension due at CW.

When did you do your most recent there?

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Nonsense. 90 day report has nothing to do with tm30. Full stop. 

OP deals with CW. 

Can you advise personally your recent experience there re 90 day report or attending for annual extension. 

I can and tm30 not even mentioned. Along with many recent reports.

The OP, inquired about next extension due at CW.

When did you do your most recent there?

No. I cannot advise any personal experiences... I have only read others reports on this. And... I don't have those links handy. You're just going to have to trust that I am not lying to you. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

No. I cannot advise any personal experiences... I have only read others reports on this. And... I don't have those links handy. You're just going to have to trust that I am not lying to you. 

Did you even read my post.

I was not asked for tm30 late last year at CW.

Many other threads reenforces this.

There were fines of ~ 800baht to folk attending CW several months back. Nothing since.

I still would recommend people attending imm to extend visa exempt or setv at imm to have a tm30.

Also for general stuff like Residence Certificate. 

Not apply to OP

9 hours ago, John77 said:

Do I need to fill out a TM28 and go to immigration within 24 hours?

A TM28 form is only needed if you change addresses.

There are mixed reports about a TM30 being needed at CW.

Your wife could do a TM30 by mail to Chaengwattana immigration or register online to do at  https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/ or install the  app on a phone or tablet at https://www.immigration.go.th/content/tm30_mobile_service .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A TM28 form is only needed if you change addresses.

When I went to Nonthaburi office on moving day to change address, they discarded the TM28 I filled out and made me fill out a TM30 instead (using the app I had already registered with).....every office has its own absurd interpretation of the rules

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Do nothing.

Go home to wife.

I also live bkk. Tm30 seems to have settled down. Many reports for extension tm30 was not asked about. Also my experience. 

Is this for all extensions that TM30 are not needed anymore, including SETV & METV extensions?

Thanks everyone. Because of the conflicting info, I decided to go to Chaengwattana today. First, my brief situation. I simply took a short holiday to Singapore for 4 days. I heard over the months that anytime you leave and come back, the TM28/30 thing must be done. Anyway, upon my return from Singapore last night, I sent my apartment owner a note to please check me back in via the TM30 online application. She did and sent me a screen shot. I filled out a TM28 and TM30 form as a just-in-case and went to Chaengwattana this morning.

I explained to the officer that I went on a short holiday and returned last night. She looked at my TM28 and said this form is ONLY used when you change addresses, such as move to another apartment (just as ubonjoe stated). It was not needed for my case. Then she looked at the printout of the TM30 screenshot and told me to go home (just as DrJack54 indicated).

Thanks again all! 

Edited by John77
  • Thanks 1

Evidently, I didn't need to do a thing in this case (a short holiday away from home) except to ask my apartment owner to do her part (TM30 online). But since I'm renewing my visa extension next week, I'm glad to have the TM30 screenshot from my apartment owner to show if needed.

2 minutes ago, John77 said:

Evidently, I didn't need to do a thing in this case (a short holiday away from home) except to ask my apartment owner to do her part (TM30 online). But since I'm renewing my visa extension next week, I'm glad to have the TM30 screenshot from my apartment owner to show if needed.

Right. This is how I understand it. As long as the TM30 is filled out... we don't have to do anything except comply with TM28 should we change our address. 

Just did mine online yesterday after returning from overseas.

My advice is that for travel within the country it is no longer being pursued by the authorities.. I do wish they would make an official  statement though.

Overseas travel,,,,, ignore at your peril

2 minutes ago, tom in bangkok said:

Getting my next extension soon and totally forgot that TM28 was a thing ????

TM28 is not enforced, so it's not a thing ????

But 90 day reports are enforced and you will probably get fined if you didn't do any in more than a year

Edited by jackdd

9 minutes ago, jackdd said:

TM28 is not enforced, so it's not a thing ????

But 90 day reports are enforced and you will probably get fined if you didn't do any in more than a year

Okay good. I asked my former agent about TM30 for my extension and she kinda just shrugged and said I can do it if I want. She had no idea about TM28.

I circumvent the 90-day reports by visiting some nearby country for a weekend when it's coming up.

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I still would recommend people attending imm to extend visa exempt or setv at imm to have a tm30.

I thought that it was stated not to be a requirement for tourists.

Edited by SunsetT

9 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Right. Now go home because you complied with the TM30 requirement?

No he was told to go home because there was no need to do a MT03 form. Now ook what you have done, you have got me all toungue tied.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, natway09 said:

Just did mine online yesterday after returning from overseas.

My advice is that for travel within the country it is no longer being pursued by the authorities.. I do wish they would make an official  statement though.

Overseas travel,,,,, ignore at your peril

At Kalasin I O last Wednesday with my wife to do TM30 notice of my return to our address after entering Thailand on the previous Sunday but not arriving home until Monday. Sorry we are a day late I said. No worries. All entered on computer system. Told only needs to be done if I leave Thailand and on coming back in. Told no need for this just for moving around in Thailand. This has been my Thailand address for 6 years. This is the first time doing a TM 30. Never done a TM 28, never been told I should. Not even this time.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

Phuket immigration rules are not CW rules. Most immigration offices don't want the TM28, just the TM30. 

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Your wife could do a TM30 by mail to Chaengwattana immigration or register online to do at  https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/ or install the  app on a phone or tablet at https://www.immigration.go.th/content/tm30_mobile_service .

@John77> As UbonJoe mentioned you can register on the IO TM30 website on behalf of your wife.

I PM-ed you a step-by-step instruction on how to do that and file your TM30s (or those of foreign guests staying at the property) on-line.

Once registered and the first TM30 filed, it's a matter of 1-2 minutes to file subsequent TM30s.

Note: To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

Edited by Peter Denis

47 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

@John77> As UbonJoe mentioned you can register on the IO TM30 website on behalf of your wife.

I PM-ed you a step-by-step instruction on how to do that and file your TM30s (or those of foreign guests staying at the property) on-line.

Once registered and the first TM30 filed, it's a matter of 1-2 minutes to file subsequent TM30s.

Note: To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

He said he stays at an apartment, so he could as well have rented it in his name and his wife isn't even involved in this.

He also said that his landlord did the TM30 online already, afaik it's not possible to make two TM30 accounts for the same address.

In case it's an "apartment" and not a "condo" he probably can not register as possessor anyway.

21 hours ago, John77 said:

It is kinda how it should work. It becomes a problem when the 'owners' will not help you out. 

10 hours ago, jackdd said:

He said he stays at an apartment, so he could as well have rented it in his name and his wife isn't even involved in this.

He also said that his landlord did the TM30 online already, afaik it's not possible to make two TM30 accounts for the same address.

In case it's an "apartment" and not a "condo" he probably can not register as possessor anyway.

Several people says apartment when it should be condo. If he rent his place with a rental contract in his name he can register in his name as Foreigner then as possessor using the first page in the contract + the photo page in the passport. He can even do it in his name using copies of the blue house book and a thai ID-card. BUT if his landlord actually did it for him, then no worries. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jackdd said:

But he wrote that after I did my post. Go back and look again.

12 hours ago, jackdd said:

You are right, I only read his first message and UJ's response. 

If the owner of the place where he is staying already registered the property where he is staying, he cannot do it anymore and it is the owner that has to do his TM30s.

Note: As Max69xl correctly remarked you do not necessarily need to register as possessor or on behalf of the possessor of the place where you are staying.  If you are renting a condo/apartment you can also register as tenant (uploading the rental contract and your passport ID-card).  But of course that can only be done when the owner did not register the place already.

8 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

You are right, I only read his first message and UJ's response. 

If the owner of the place where he is staying already registered the property where he is staying, he cannot do it anymore and it is the owner that has to do his TM30s.

Note: As Max69xl correctly remarked you do not necessarily need to register as possessor or on behalf of the possessor of the place where you are staying.  If you are renting a condo/apartment you can also register as tenant (uploading the rental contract and your passport ID-card).  But of course that can only be done when the owner did not register the place already.

If this guy for some reason is leaving the country and coming back, he might have to do a new TM30 report. Why shouldn't he be able to register just because of the owners registration? I haven't read anything about this, but I might have missed it. Let's say the owner is gone for some reason, and a TM30 needs to be done. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If this guy for some reason is leaving the country and coming back, he might have to do a new TM30 report. Why shouldn't he be able to register just because of the owners registration? I haven't read anything about this, but I might have missed it. Let's say the owner is gone for some reason, and a TM30 needs to be done. 

True, I didn't think it through.  But indeed, there might be circumstances that the original registrar of the property might be unable to file TM30s of foreigners staying at the property (e.g. when he is abroad, deceased, moved to a different province, etc).  So there should be a procedure to allow for this. 

And easiest way would of course be that multiple people (e.g. both the owner and the tenant), can register and file TM30s.

Would be interesting to hear from TVF members that have actually done this.