Why Are Bangkok Parks Always Empty?

fhickson

Find it strange that bangkok parks are often relatively empty in proportion to the amount of people living here.

Sitting alone in Lumpini Park and Benjakiti Park with huge open spaces, close to dense crowded areas and nobody around other then a few straglers I ponder the question.

Came to the conclusion that thais dont like to be alone in quiet spaces where there is no noise or other people around.

Compare this to Central Park in New York City which is bustling and full of people. Strange.

Anyone have any other explanations?

Edited by fhickson
  • Haha 1

Once upon a time there were restaurants in parks (like Suan Lum) where those who don't like it too hot could relax and watch the view with a beer and some grub. But that was considered a bad idea and banned............ That's why I don't go there any more.

Lumpini, Suan Rot Fai and others are perfect places for German-style biergaerten - tourist attraction as well as for locals. It's not too warm under a sunshade with a litre of beer. Where's TAT when you need them?

• Like 2

" I used to go running with the wife in Rama 9 Park when I lived in Bangkok. "

Did she ever catch you?!

Rama 9 is interesting because early and late in the day it's free but for most daylight hours it's 20(?) baht to get in - which of course makes it relatively even more quiet. And despite my previous post, it does have a restaurant, although not serving beer which rather defeats the object.

Edited by spinner2020
add quote

10 minutes ago, spinner2020 said:

Once upon a time there were restaurants in parks (like Suan Lum) where those who don't like it too hot could relax and watch the view with a beer and some grub. But that was considered a bad idea and banned............ That's why I don't go there any more.

Lumpini, Suan Rot Fai and others are perfect places for German-style biergaerten - tourist attraction as well as for locals. It's not too warm under a sunshade with a litre of beer. Where's TAT when you need them?

People like you aren't wanted in Lumpini. Go to Soi Cowboy.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, fred110 said:

People like you aren't wanted in Lumpini. Go to Soi Cowboy.

So where in Cowboy can one relax in peace, perhaps with a  modest brass band,and sip a beer all afternoon without being hustled?.........

Seriously, Lumpini was (a long time ago, admittedly) just idyllic for me, the wife (who could natter with the restaurant people AND eat non-stop) and my kids (who could terrorise the iguanas) for a quiet weekend afternoon. Farang guests thought it just perfect and a highlight of their visit.

It never once got rowdy, although one suspects that was the pretext for closing it. The owner, having spent 10+ years working in that environment, was last heard of behind a counter in a Pratunam department store. Poor woman.

• Like 1

During the day, yes, they are empty because it's hot as balls. But I can attest that Lumpini, Benjakiti, Benjasiri and Santi parks all get very busy with joggers, aerobics dancers, basketball and takraw players, etc., every evening from around 5:30 to 8:00pm. 

im not convinced its the heat. its not too hot for me. people are hanging out everywhere on the sidewalk all skrunched in sitting on little stools hunched over for lack of room. unemployed and doing nothing.

seems like its being alone in the space thats the problem.

beer garden would be great. great idea! even a food vendor area with some nice big chairs and room to spread out would be even better. could put it all in just one small area there.

Edited by fhickson