Why Are Bangkok Parks Always Empty?

fhickson

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Because they are boring.

In germany we hang in parks to make BBQ, listen to music, meet friends and have a beer, smoke a fag, let our dogs run.

None of that is allowed here.

thats kind of what i was picking up on.

whenever i go during the day the litter police seem to ride their bikes around and watch every little thing i do.

i got a bag of bread to feed the birds and was worried about getting an expensive ticket for littering, even though the vendor guy said it was allowed.

i appreciate the role and lack of people littering, but it feels a tad uncomfortable. if they could put these guys undercover rather then in a military looking uniform it would be an improvement.

im not sure if this type of being watched bothers the thais though, or if its just me.

Edited by fhickson

At benjakitti park the thai youth and older people too sit outside at night - drinking their beers. Sucks to sit on the stones tho and sukhumvit road is loud as hell... but well they can't do it inside and the park closes at 9 pm anyway...

I would guess they would prefer to do it inside...and as long as they install enough trashbins they wouldn't even litter there.

On 1/21/2020 at 1:57 AM, Roy Baht said:

They're only empty in the daytime. Go at either dawn or dusk and you'll see Thais exercising, jogging, biking, etc.

Wont see anyone biking at lumpini at dawn or dusk, its prohibited except foe between 10 -3.

Likewise, benjakitti closed its excellent bike loop for a year and is a building site.

The opened up a .9km loop in the new section which closes at dusk.

Edited by metempsychotic

On 1/21/2020 at 1:57 AM, Roy Baht said:

They're only empty in the daytime. Go at either dawn or dusk and you'll see Thais exercising, jogging, biking, etc.

Direct exposure to hot daytime sun is the mortal enemy of all fair/white skin loving Thais!

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

14 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

Wont see anyone biking at lumpini at dawn or dusk, its prohibited except foe between 10 -3.

Likewise, benjakitti closed its excellent bike loop for a year and is a building site.

The opened up a .9km loop in the new sectiin which closes at dusk.

The wife and I were over in the new section the other day (which is unaffected by the construction in the original section).

And the security guards there told my wife in Thai that bicycle riding in the new section is only allowed in the late morning to mid afternoon hours. Early morning and early evenings on only for walking/jogging/running.

On 1/21/2020 at 4:18 PM, fred110 said:

People like you aren't wanted in Lumpini. Go to Soi Cowboy.

Folks can sit outdoors and drink a beer these days at the Art Box location that used to be Chuwit Gardens at Suk Soi 10.  Not exactly a park anymore as currently configured, but at least it's outdoors.

On 1/21/2020 at 4:07 PM, spinner2020 said:

Once upon a time there were restaurants in parks (like Suan Lum) where those who don't like it too hot could relax and watch the view with a beer and some grub. But that was considered a bad idea and banned............ That's why I don't go there any more.

Lumpini, Suan Rot Fai and others are perfect places for German-style biergaerten - tourist attraction as well as for locals. It's not too warm under a sunshade with a litre of beer. Where's TAT when you need them?

it seems like the city is using the parks as a kind of face thing.

areas that are pretty super clean, litter free and heavily patroled, but not really user friendly.

lumpini does have benches around but there are not nearly enough for the size of the park. seems like the point is to have these wide open grassy areas. if a lot of people converged on the park there would be nowhere to sit.

1 minute ago, fhickson said:

it seems like the city is using the parks as a kind of face thing.

areas that are pretty super clean, litter free and heavily patroled, but not really user friendly.

lumpini does have benches around but there are not nearly enough for the size of the park. seems like the point is to have these wide open grassy areas. if a lot of people converged on the park there would be nowhere to sit.

Alot of people did converge upon the park for months.

They brought tents and yellow shirts.

Anyone have any other explanations?

Possible reason could be people in BKK don't particularly want to sit in a park for hours breathing in deadly PM2.5 particles into their lungs so they can have an early death.

56 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Possible reason could be people in BKK don't particularly want to sit in a park for hours breathing in deadly PM2.5 particles into their lungs so they can have an early death.

where does the clean air come from?

I visit Lumpini park usually before 9am and there are quite a few people there - more so on the weekend. It is a huge and fabulous place. It is an oasis in Bangkok. The people jog and walk etc... As the day heats up the park empties. It gets VERY hot between 10am and 3pm.