Amnesty urges Thai govt to drop all charges against Thanathorn, Future Forward members

webfact

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed:

10 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Yep, I was just reading that on the BP site, now, what about this 'loan' business ? 

It wasn't a gift or donation so surely doesn't fall under the rules being spouted, it was a loan to be repaid with interest if I read all the reports right, and how can they possibly call his money illegal without providing evidence ??

Maybe, just maybe the courts are beginning to wake up to the fact that the dinosaurs are close to extinction so are now showing their true mettle. I really really hope so.

I would love it if the courts were waking up but I don't think that's the case.

The courts have even admitted that rulings can be up to their interpretation. So they can just say they don't see it as a loan. They see it as a donation. In any civilized country it's not what you know it's what you can prove. Here, well, it's whatever they say it is.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

So the case has been dropped. Apparently there was no real evidence. If there was no real evidence, how did this case ever get accepted in the first place? Me thinks this is just a big show. A red herring, if you will. Make the courts look impartial and honourable so they think they have more credibility when they do eventually dissolve FFP. I really hope I'm wrong. 

Yes but the mud sticks and many people will believe it true and that was the objective.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

So the case has been dropped. Apparently there was no real evidence. If there was no real evidence, how did this case ever get accepted in the first place? Me thinks this is just a big show. A red herring, if you will. Make the courts look impartial and honourable so they think they have more credibility when they do eventually dissolve FFP. I really hope I'm wrong. 

They seem to have cleared them of the monarchy charge. I still think the EC will do them over the loan charge. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Amnesty urges Thai govt to drop all charges against Thanathorn, Future Forward members

Clearly Democratic Thailand couldn’t care less about what Amnesty International thinks. But if Facebook (Thailand's highest moral authority and final court of all appeals) had only made the same statement, the general would be terrified.

Edited by Hayduke
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Judgement day today. If what we all assume to happen does, then it will be very interesting to see the global view against it. With the current state of the economy and the already declining reputation of Thailand can they afford more bad publicity? 

Apart from a few NGO's like AI, which lost its credibility years ago, I doubt anyone else will give a Monkey's apart from former PM's who are criminal fugitives.

USA - Impeachment, Election year; UK - Brexit, Harry & Meghan pony show; France - Macron fiddles while France burns; Germany - Angela's going soon and economy tottering; Aussie - Fires & Floods; EU - all looking out for themselves in a time of change; China, Russia and India won't give a rat's <deleted>. Neither will Japan and South Korea.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Apart from a few NGO's like AI, which lost its credibility years ago, I doubt anyone else will give a Monkey's apart from former PM's who are criminal fugitives.

Yes, it's up to Thais to fight back if they ever want any change. But it's maibpenrai FTW and will forever be in this neck of the woods, sakdina is so embedded into the Thai psyche. Don't complain, says even the acclaimed POTY in another thread. Doomed I say, doomed.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Judgement day today. If what we all assume to happen does, then it will be very interesting to see the global view against it. With the current state of the economy and the already declining reputation of Thailand can they afford more bad publicity? 

Not sure those in decision making positions care that much about anything other than what impacts their ability to maintain trough position. Meaning Thailand's well being would come second and future actions will reflect these priorities. It appears that long term impacts are not as influential on policy as any immediate needs and scrambling to keep a lid on little issues that balloon into major issues continue to be the rule.

16 hours ago, smedly said:

This current government needs to realise that part of democracy involves opposition and alternative views, it is fundamental for democracy to work, if you don't accept that then there is no democracy, opposition is healthy and keeps all voices heard

As you know these guys are all high ranking military and police in charge,they are not used to being spoken down to by the civilian opposition party,that cant happen! 

• Like 2

That seals it... Conviction guaranteed!  :biggrin:

The current government will want to show that they don't have to listen to or be influenced by any foreign interest groups....especially AI...

PS - So the FFP folks were found not guilty on the anti-monarchy charge... But other cases still pending including the loans case.

Future Forward faces several other ongoing legal cases, including one alleging it violated laws governing political parties by accepting loans from party leader, auto-parts billionaire Thanathorn.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

10 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Yes, it's up to Thais to fight back if they ever want any change. But it's maibpenrai FTW and will forever be in this neck of the woods, sakdina is so embedded into the Thai psyche. Don't complain, says even the acclaimed POTY in another thread. Doomed I say, doomed.

When one side has all the guns and a history of using them on complainers...

Amnesty statements should be blocked and the providers of such fake news have to be prosecuted under the computer crime suppression act.

Everybody knows Thailand is the best and most democratic country worldwide, a lighthouse of liberty and his freely elected leader is the most genious person ever to be on earth.

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rhyddid said:

Amnesty International is a US sponsored entity which take funds from the worst institutions in the globe!
Amnesty International is the mickey mouse institution that with the infamous "white helmets" and NATO support create the fake movies about the Syrian gassing.

Of course no one shall ever trust Amnesty International and just do viceversa of what they ask !

Well done Thai government ! Apply whatever charges the fellow deserve by breaking the law.
Thailand does not need another tycoons turned rogue politician, we had Thaksin, that was more then enough!  

quote "Amnesty International is a US sponsored entity which take funds from the worst institutions in the globe!"

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNTjgq4JX91bRHuFs6XQPOJwcWsnUQ%3A1579673096337&source=hp&ei=COYnXr-JEtqR9QOOhYm4Dw&q=amnesty+international&oq=amnesty&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0i131j0l3j0i203l2j0l4.5426.8521..11229...1.0..0.87.565.7......0....1..gws-wiz.......35i39.RAp0UwLMYhc

Amnesty International is a non-governmental organization with its headquarters in the United Kingdom focused on human rights. The organization claims it has more than eight million members and supporters around the world. Wikipedia
Headquarters location: London, United Kingdom
Founder: Peter Benenson
Founded: July 1961, London, United Kingdom
Members: More than seven million members and supporters
Subsidiaries: Amnesty International USA, MORE

quote "Amnesty International is the mickey mouse institution that with the infamous "white helmets" and NATO support create the fake movies about the Syrian gassing."

Do you have any links or facts about that?

quote "Of course no one shall ever trust Amnesty International and just do vice versa of what they ask !"

Members: More than seven million members and supporters? That is about 7 million more than you have.

quote "Well done Thai government ! Apply whatever charges the fellow deserve by breaking the law."

The laws that that wrote and enacted to keep themselves in power, only seem to work in the governments favour.

quote "Thailand does not need another tycoons turned rogue politician, we had Thaksin, that was more then enough!"

I almost agree with you there. Instead of rogue tycoons in government Thailand has a government which came from a military coup (illegal and possibly treasonous) and they have more than their share of rogues including one who was arrested for drug smuggling, went to court and got 4 years in an Australian jail. That of course doesn't matter as it wasn't in Thailand.

If you are talking about Thanathorn as a tycoon turned rogue politician then you are behind the times as he was NEVER allowed to take his place in parliament though he was legally elected. In addition what proof do you offer that he would be a rogue politician?