Could the "New China virus" affect Pattaya??

banglay

Had a few late afternoon beers on Dongtan yesterday, then a few in the Jomtien bars.

Came back into Pattaya around 8pm time, and what a difference.

Zero buses parked along Thappraya as usual, and Zero buses on Third Road with traffic flowing smoothly.

Have not seen it like this for at least .... 10 years?

Long may it last.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Had a few late afternoon beers on Dongtan yesterday, then a few in the Jomtien bars.

Came back into Pattaya around 8pm time, and what a difference.

Zero buses parked along Thappraya as usual, and Zero buses on Third Road with traffic flowing smoothly.

Long may it last.

Was out around town last night and hardly saw any other orientals.....Not only the Chinese disappeared but most of Japanese and Korean as well

Went into Pin Up albeit quite early and didnt know where to put myself just 3 of us in there. Talk about target rich enviroment !

Edited by Chivas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

Was out around town last night and hardly saw any other orientals.....Not only the Chinese disappeared but most of Japanese and Korean as well

Went into Pin Up albeit quite early and didnt know where to put myself just 3 of us in there. Talk about target rich enviroment !

Whilst there are a lot of Chinese tourists, the impact of their loss will be felt by a few.

Whilst there are not as many Japanese and Korean tourists as their are Chinese tourists, their loss will be felt by many. 

Coronavirus declared global health emergency by WHO.

The new coronavirus has been declared a global emergency by the World Health Organization, as the outbreak continues to spread outside China.

"The main reason for this declaration is not what is happening in China but what is happening in other countries," said WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

The concern is that it could spread to countries with weaker health systems.

It's starting to get serious now   the "Genie is out the bottle"....

On 1/21/2020 at 5:37 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Yes, avoid Koh Larn where there are millions of Chinese and walking st

Eureka! Do what the ozzies did and make Koh Larn the quarantine island.

Edited by DrTuner

5 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Had an easy ride down Sukhumvit yesterday... it is the big coaches that really concern me riding my little Yamaha. Other than one idiot coach needing to make a left from the right lane an easy ride. Yes, like old times.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Had an easy ride down Sukhumvit yesterday... it is the big coaches that really concern me riding my little Yamaha. Other than one idiot coach needing to make a left from the right lane an easy ride. Yes, like old times.

Not that I care, but there's millions of dollars, yes, dollars, not baht, in coach buses parked up somewhere, not earning.  That's got to hurt. 

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

Not that I care, but there's millions of dollars, yes, dollars, not baht, in coach buses parked up somewhere, not earning.  That's got to hurt. 

There was a huge parking area full of them a few years back along the Railway line Rd, the Pegas company ones. Happened when the Russian currency tanked and they stopped coming. 

On 1/31/2020 at 11:07 AM, Leaver said:

Whilst there are a lot of Chinese tourists, the impact of their loss will be felt by a few.

But when the indirect effects are  included the loses could impact many. So I'm not getting any more massages from this place for a long while because I've seen Chinese In there. 

3 hours ago, morrobay said:

But when the indirect effects are  included the loses could impact many. So I'm not getting any more massages from this place for a long while because I've seen Chinese In there. 

Yes, you are correct.  There will be a trickle down effect, all the way to the Thai agriculture industry, but I was thinking more locally, and the big Pattaya players in the Chinese package holiday market. 

33 minutes ago, AlexJohanson said:

Do Thais think The Farang is to blame for the coronavirus? 

No.  Thai's think the Chinese manufactured the virus so they will beg the Chinese to come back to Thailand by offering cheaper prices.  ????

13 hours ago, Beggar said:

Soi Buakhao was packed yesterday evening with (mostly elderly) Farangs. Didn't see any with masks. They seem to be immortal. 

Plenty of masks to be seen around, it is just they interfere with drinking beer so not popular in soi Buakhao. Where are we now, 20 confirmed cases in all of  Thailand....?

5 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

There is never a better time to visit Koh Larn than now

EPu_zolUYAAMyS-?format=jpg&name=large

I remember when there were very few of those recliners, meters apart from each other. It was a very pleasant place back then. 2009 I think. Take those Chinese milking yards away and I might revisit.

Edited by DrTuner

3 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

I will bet that there will be another event this week that will push the Corona Virus off the headlines, and by this time next week, the masks will be forgotten about, along with Corona here in Pattaya.

That's bold but I think that you're wrong. Unfortunately. A week's time is not nearly enough to know if this spread is being effectively squelched. This is at least a month or two story and that's if things go well. 

Just now, Jingthing said:

That's bold but I think that you're wrong. Unfortunately. A week's time is not nearly enough to know if this spread is being effectively squelched. This is at least a month or two story and that's if things go well. 

Most seem to estimate the epidemic would peak April-May. Need to add at least two months to that for the trailing end, we're talking about first half of 2020 being quarantine season.

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Most seem to estimate the epidemic would peak April-May. Need to add at least two months to that for the trailing end, we're talking about first half of 2020 being quarantine season.

That is my assessment also.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

This is at least a month or two story and that's if things go well. 

The lack of Chinese in Pattaya (horaay!) yes, but not Corona.

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Said the same about the SARS virus, and it went as my thoughts above.