Aircon repair (not cleaning) here in Pattaya

Beggar

At my Daikin aircon the inside unit has a problem. The fan runs slowly. The fan is not the problem but obviously the run capacitor. Sadly it is not easy to replace the capacitor like normally because it is on the PCB (board).  A very bad design. To replace the board is pretty expensive - about 12000 Baht plus work. So I am looking for someone checking the capacitors on the board and replacing the faulty one. Does anybody know who could do this here in Pattaya? I had several aircon servicing companies here already but they might be good in cleaning but not so much on the electrical part.

• Like 1

I had the Daikin repair guys come to my place and they replaced a capacitor, but it was on the compressor starter and free standing so easily replaced. It was a non Daikin unit too. (They were there to service my Daikin units and took  a look).  

I suspect you will be asked to buy a complete part as that is common here, but 12,000 seems expensive. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Sadly it is not easy to replace the capacitor like normally because it is on the PCB (board).

if you suspect the capacitor  it would be  cheap to  have the board removed  then go to  Amorn in the Tukcom basement and have them change the capacitor..it should only take 5 minutes to de-solder the old one and solder on a new one..but they may not have the part  so

there are 2  shops in Theprasit road  that have parts and may well offer "soldering"  service too.

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9083222,100.8862012,3a,36.8y,319.14h,87.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMT9YDRZ_V5w_K7aSiw54Iw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

this one has many spare parts and will most likely have your capacitor  may or may not  solder it to your board.

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9086958,100.8878449,3a,75y,348.57h,77.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sj4jEtRikPfPJa_xifRcXLA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

in the last resort  once you have the new capacitor   some of the  mobile phone repair shops in Tukcom also have soldering stations.

as long as the capacitor has the same microfarad size and voltage ..it doesn't matter about its physical size so the new one might not be a straight plug in to the old holes..but they can run  patch wires and secure the capacitor with hot glue or a cable tie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, johng said:

if you suspect the capacitor  it would be  cheap to  have the board removed  then go to  Amorn in the Tukcom basement and have them change the capacitor..it should only take 5 minutes to de-solder the old one and solder on a new one..but they may not have the part  so

there are 2  shops in Theprasit road  that have parts and may well offer "soldering"  service too.

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9083222,100.8862012,3a,36.8y,319.14h,87.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMT9YDRZ_V5w_K7aSiw54Iw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

this one has many spare parts and will most likely have your capacitor  may or may not  solder it to your board.

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9086958,100.8878449,3a,75y,348.57h,77.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sj4jEtRikPfPJa_xifRcXLA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

in the last resort  once you have the new capacitor   some of the  mobile phone repair shops in Tukcom also have soldering stations.

as long as the capacitor has the same microfarad size and voltage ..it doesn't matter about its physical size so the new one might not be a straight plug in to the old holes..but they can run  patch wires and secure the capacitor with hot glue or a cable tie.

Thank you a lot for all the help. But I am looking for someone to come to me. I am worried that I break something if I take out the boards myself (they are not so easy to remove). I will do this as last resort if there is no other option. I think it is a capacitor because the fan motor was checked at an other aircon and showed no problems. If it is not the capacitor but something else on the board then I better buy a new aircon... The prices for spare parts are extremely high. A new fan motor would have been almost 6000 Baht plus work. But the board is twice as much ????

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, frequentatore said:

You can check yourself if it's an error code. Read Beggar's post: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1127077-aircon-unit-pulsing/page/2/#comments

This was my own post ???? This helped me to find the reason why the aircon stopped after a while. No company had an explanation for it. And the error code I got was A5 - the inside fins had minus temperatures and so there was a danger of building up ice and therefore it switched off. It was not a compressor or any other problem and the error code was correct (I checked the temperature. The fan simply doesn't blow strong enough.). Then the companies said it needs cleaning. Now it has been cleaned several times and the problem is still the same. Then they said the fan motor is broken. I have one more aircon exactly the same model. So we changed the fan and the fan motor was not the problem. Then I told them to check the capacitor. They checked something and said everything is okay. But I hesitate to believe it... 

Edited by Beggar

I had exactly similar behavior with my LG aircon couple of years ago. I thoght board kaputt so I got new board from LG service and after replacing still same. Luckily I had two similar units in house so thought I would try change all electrical parts one by one until it start run. Swapped motor no change. Then swapped temperature sensor and voila it start work. 

LG service was kind enough to refund the 800 baht board. 

So check your temp sensor. Just might be it, recall was something like 200 baht from LG. Very easy to replace and cheap even to just give a shot. 

Other aircon had some components burned as jingchok got in and caused short. Took the board to the handicapped man shop just before soi 19 on 3rd road. He fixed it for small fee. 

Edited by mran66
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, mran66 said:

I had exactly similar behavior with my LG aircon couple of years ago. I thoght board kaputt so I got new board from LG service and after replacing still same. Luckily I had two similar units in house so thought I would try change all electrical parts one by one until it start run. Swapped motor no change. Then swapped temperature sensor and voila it start work. 

LG service was kind enough to refund the 800 baht board. 

So check your temp sensor. Just might be it, recall was something like 200 baht from LG. Very easy to replace and cheap even to just give a shot. 

Other aircon had some components burned as jingchok got in and caused short. Took the board to the handicapped man shop just before soi 19 on 3rd road. He fixed it for small fee. 

800 Baht. 200 Baht. I have Daikins - sadly... The temperature sensor is okay. I measured the temperature and it really goes below 0 C and switches off then. I could pull the sensor away - but the ice will come and block the fins.

The fan runs only a fraction of the spead compared to the good 2nd aircon. I am thinking too about swapping the electrical parts one by one. But I am looking for someone doing it AND fixing it when the problem is clear. The boards are not easy to remove and I am worried that I break something. Perhaps I should be more worried that they break something ????

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Beggar said:

800 Baht. 200 Baht. I have Daikins - sadly... The temperature sensor is okay. I measured the temperature and it really goes below 0 C and switches off then. I could pull the sensor away - but the ice will come and block the fins.

The fan runs only a fraction of the spead compared to the good 2nd aircon. I am thinking too about swapping the electrical parts one by one. But I am looking for someone doing it AND fixing it when the problem is clear. The boards are not easy to remove and I am worried that I break something. Perhaps I should be more worried that they break something ????

Okay. Sounds like pointers indeed are towards the board then. Mine was very easy to pull out luckily. 

Amazing how different spares pricing strategy Daikin have vs LG... In general all spares I have had to buy for my appliances have had friendly pricing. 

12k for a board sounds VERY high... I just had a new inverter 12k btu aircon installed for that amount! Haier though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beggar said:

But I am looking for someone doing it AND fixing it when the problem is clear.

You could try this guy. Seemed very competent but more expensive than the standard AC guys for cleaning -

Centre Service Pattaya - Ming - 087 600 3235

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Beggar said:

The temperature sensor is okay. I measured the temperature and it really goes below 0 C and switches off then. 

Hmmm... Are u 100% sure it is ok? Cutting at 0 is a different issue from measuring against the set temperature. Did u try swap the sensor with the working unit?

Just wondering. In my case I assume the broken sensor gave meaningless input to computer inhibiting the system to run properly. Fan rotate very slow, slower than in any normal use case. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mran66 said:

The temperature sensor is okay. I measured the temperature and it really goes below 0 C and switches off then. 

Hmmm... Are u 100% sure it is ok? Cutting at 0 is a different issue from measuring against the set temperature. Did u try swap the sensor with the working unit?

Just wondering. In my case I assume the broken sensor gave meaningless input to computer inhibiting the system to run properly. Fan rotate very slow, slower than in any normal use case. 

I am absolutely sure. The fan speed is not set to auto and runs at fixed speeds. And compared to the identical problem free aircon the fan at the problem unit simply runs slower and doesn't move enough air to keep the evaporator above freezing temperatures. And it runs also slowly in fan mode without any cooling. Here the thermometer does not have any effect at all. 

This second thermometer has nothing to do with the thermometer that controls the room temperature. The only function of it is to switch off if the temperature of the evaporator gets close to freezing. If the evaporator is frozen and the compressor does not stop this will damage the evaporator unit and the compressor. An other reason for ice built up can be that the gas is low. But this is not the case at my aircon. It is only the slow fan speed that causes this. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, topt said:

You could try this guy. Seemed very competent but more expensive than the standard AC guys for cleaning -

Centre Service Pattaya - Ming - 087 600 3235

Thank you. This is not far away. Will show them some photos and ask if they can help. I got disappointed too many times already by experts that had no clue because they never had an education... Otherwise my aircon would have been fixed long time ago already. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 9:41 AM, Beggar said:

Thank you. This is not far away. Will show them some photos and ask if they can help. I got disappointed too many times already by experts that had no clue because they never had an education... Otherwise my aircon would have been fixed long time ago already. 

My bedroom unit got zapped by a gecko getting inside and I was pretty sure it was a simple PCB replacement. The service guy made a meal of it until I lost patience and told him to put a new unit in, and he gleefully claimed the old one, both compressor and evap units!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

My bedroom unit got zapped by a gecko getting inside and I was pretty sure it was a simple PCB replacement. The service guy made a meal of it until I lost patience and told him to put a new unit in, and he gleefully claimed the old one, both compressor and evap units!

This option I will not give them. I have identical aircons and so spare parts for testing what is wrong. I did this already with the fan motor. They said it needs to be replaced. We did. We swapped the fan motor with the one from the other aircon. It was not the problem - saved about 6000 Baht. After this they had no idea anymore - but didn't forget to charge me a lot.

An other company came and dropped a screw into the evaporator - the only thing that they did. We were busy to take it out without dismantling the whole evaporator - I did it in front of their eyes with a magnet. Then they said this aircon needs special cleaning and charged for this statement 400 Baht. A couple of days later the gave me the cost estimate for the special cleaning - something around 1500 Baht. In the meantime I know that cleaning will not change anything. It was cleaned before this company already several times by other companies. Perhaps now the cleanest aircon in Pattaya... 

An other company... Yes - an endless unsuccessful frustrating story. To be continued... 

I often have the feeling these people live for the moment. They don't care if you are happy and therefore will call them again. 

• Haha 2

I would check the thermistor on the indoor unit you need to check the resistance if you download Daikin service from the App Store it gives you the values in ohms depending on the room temperature you will be able to tell if it's in the correct range

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mikej210 said:

I would check the thermistor on the indoor unit you need to check the resistance if you download Daikin service from the App Store it gives you the values in ohms depending on the room temperature you will be able to tell if it's in the correct range

It is simply the slow fan. The thermistors have nothing to do with it. I have two identical aircons. The good one blows a lot and the one with the problem doesn't. And the fan gets slower and slower - this unsolved problem has been going on for more than a year now. The problem is that Daikin put the capacitor on the board and tries to force you not to change only the capacitor but the whole board. I don't want to tell you what brand I will not buy next time... 

• Like 1

What model number is it ? The thermistors on the indoor unit stop and start the fan if the temperature is below 32deg F on the indoor coil or it's the indoor circuit board that's faulty by checking the thermistor you would be sure that's not the problem

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mikej210 said:

just seen you have two indentical Aircons why don't you take the board from the working indoor unit and put it into the broken unit that way you will know for sure 

The thermistor is not the problem. It does what it has to do - switching the aircon off when freezing starts. This is the only function of THIS thermistor. The fan simply runs too slow. 

I am looking for qualified people to check the capacitor for the fan on the board (I know where it is - sadly it is soldered). If this is not the problem I plan to swap the boards - what I did with the fan already. I could do it myself but it is a lot of work and I am lazy. And what I can't do is to solder a new capacitor onto the board. Soldering and using super glue have been always the biggest challenges for me. It always ended in chaos.  

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

hello, one of my aircon is still working but the compressor (outdoor unit) never stops even when I stop the indoor unit. The only way to stop the outdoor compressor is to turn off the breaker. Any idea what could be the problem and who could fix it around Pattaya ? thank you.

On 1/21/2020 at 2:04 PM, Beggar said:

Thank you a lot for all the help. But I am looking for someone to come to me. I am worried that I break something if I take out the boards myself (they are not so easy to remove). I will do this as last resort if there is no other option. I think it is a capacitor because the fan motor was checked at an other aircon and showed no problems. If it is not the capacitor but something else on the board then I better buy a new aircon... The prices for spare parts are extremely high. A new fan motor would have been almost 6000 Baht plus work. But the board is twice as much ????

Sorry but you are wrong.

I already changed a outdoor unit fan motor and it was 4000 all included.

I already changed some PCB electronics and total was 10000 total for 3 electronic parts. All original daikin fixed by daikin chonburi, So your prices are clearly a scam.

Just now, samtab said:

hello, one of my aircon is still working but the compressor (outdoor unit) never stops even when I stop the indoor unit. The only way to stop the outdoor compressor is to turn off the breaker. Any idea what could be the problem and who could fix it around Pattaya ? thank you.

Broken relay ....... cheap as chips to fix.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Broken relay ....... cheap as chips to fix.

thank you, but how does a relay look like ? is it in the indoor unit or outdoor ? any cheap guy could change it ? thank you.

3 minutes ago, samtab said:

thank you, but how does a relay look like ? is it in the indoor unit or outdoor ? any cheap guy could change it ? thank you.

Probably in the inside unit where the power wires connect to the outside compressor, 100bht for the part.

61SmP6Ap0lL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1