BANGKOK

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The first step is to leave the country without a re-entry permit, apply for a tourist visa or if you qualify for one a get 30 day visa exempt entry.

Then apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration.

Requirments are here. https://division1.immigration.go.th/download/1551323081128.pdf

The during the last 45 days of the 90 day entry from the visa apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

But he also have the option just to buy a non immigrant O outside Thailand instead of a tourist-VISA right??

glegolo

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, glegolo said:

But he also have the option just to buy a non immigrant O outside Thailand instead of a tourist-VISA right??

Of course he could. But the nearby locations to get one are limited and some people are unable to meet the requirements.

But many people are choosing the border hop for a 30 day visa exempt entry.

• Like 1

Ubon

i would like to switch from OA to O as well. On am already on my existing OA extension and do it is due to expire in May. My question is that I have the seasoned 800,000 already but I used TransferWise so I can not prove the it came from out of country. What you recommend I do in that case?

7 minutes ago, regularguy said:

i would like to switch from OA to O as well. On am already on my existing OA extension and do it is due to expire in May. My question is that I have the seasoned 800,000 already but I used TransferWise so I can not prove the it came from out of country. What you recommend I do in that case?

First I would suggest you ask you local immigration office if they will accept the 800k baht that has been in the bank for a period of time without proof it came from abroad. 

You should also be able to use the transferwise receipts to prove it was sent from outside the country.

If unable to apply for it at immigration you could apply for single entry non-o visa in Savannakhet or Penang by showing the money in the bank and proof you are retired. That can be a pension statement or some other proof you are getting a pension. Or a statement done at your embassy stating your are retired.

• Like 1

i dont know how common it is but when i extended having changed from monthly income to 800K the IO at CW didn't ask to see proof the money originated overseas or ask to see TM30 receipt.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Or a statement done at your embassy stating your are retired.

Which embassies provide that? British Embassy doesn't

44 minutes ago, samsensam said:

i dont know how common it is but when i extended having changed from monthly income to 800K the IO at CW didn't ask to see proof the money originated overseas or ask to see TM30 receipt.

That is normal since it is not required to apply for an extension of stay at immigration.

27 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Which embassies provide that? British Embassy doesn't

Have you asked the British embassy if they would do one?

I am sure there are many embassies that would do it. At the majority of them you could still get proof of income that could also be used for proof you are retired.

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Have you asked the British embassy if they would do one?

I am sure there are many embassies that would do it. At the majority of them you could still get proof of income that could also be used for proof you are retired.

Yes i asked them, they aren't easy to contact, they have a list of standard questions and answers but i emailed them and the answer was they don't issue a statement of retirement or income statement. Happy for someone to say otherwise

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes i asked them, they aren't easy to contact, they have a list of standard questions and answers but i emailed them and the answer was they don't issue a statement of retirement or income statement. Happy for someone to say otherwise

All part of their standard (non-)service for us Brit expats, of course! But hopefully occupational pension provider statements and/or State Pension statements from DWP would do the trick in our case as regards obtaining non-O visas on retirement grounds from Savannakhet or Penang.

@ubonjoe - but would Savannakhet and/or Penang be likely to insist on certified Thai translations of these statements?

Edited by OJAS

31 minutes ago, OJAS said:

All part of their standard (non-)service for us Brit expats, of course! But hopefully occupational pension provider statements and/or State Pension statements from DWP would do the trick in our case as regards obtaining non-O visas on retirement grounds from Savannakhet or Penang.

@ubonjoe

Not much use for us over 50 but not pension age

Edited by scubascuba3

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

@ubonjoe - but would Savannakhet and/or Penang be likely to insist on certified Thai translations of these statements?

Not if they are in English.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The first step is to leave the country without a re-entry permit, apply for a tourist visa or if you qualify for one a get 30 day visa exempt entry.

Then apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration.

Requirments are here. https://division1.immigration.go.th/download/1551323081128.pdf

The during the last 45 days of the 90 day entry from the visa apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

I guess the person must have the 800,000 Baht in his Thai bank already? If yes since how long?
My question is because I may be a bit short for my marriage in time before my next extension. In this case, I will do that too it does not seem too difficult.