Thai man found electrocuted lying on his phone chargers

webfact

1 minute ago, metempsychotic said:

I have clearly indicated I read in bed, and you can't read an ebook without a tablet or kindle or similar.

My phone is in the lounge charging at night but that is only because I don't wish to be woken up with a call in the. Ight. 

So do I, haven't been zapped by my paperback yet. Surely a kindle isn't plugged into a charger so I don't really understand where you are coming from. You made some sarcastic reference to a bedsite reading lamp, which is far removed from the cause of these frequent electrocutions of people snuggled up in bed with their phone currently on charge. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

So do I, haven't been zapped by my paperback yet. Surely a kindle isn't plugged into a charger so I don't really understand where you are coming from. You made some sarcastic reference to a bedsite reading lamp, which is far removed from the cause of these frequent electrocutions of people snuggled up in bed with their phone currently on charge. 

Yeah, paperbacks are great if you finish a book every 2 weeks or so, but some of us who read regularly prefer a more economical medium. I finish 2 or 3 novels a week.

I personally havent read a paperback in about 5 years.

Im amazed you aren't worried about the potential fire risk having all that paper around a house wired for electricity.

And yes, kindles need charging too, though I use a huawei media pad which is often on charge evenings  as the tablet drains toward the end of the day.

When I fall asleep, sometimes it makes it to the bedside table, sometimes it doesnt.

it seems to me if you are willing to have an alarm, bedside lamp and various other electronics in the room, a tablet with a quality cable and charger isnt that big a leap.

Ill take my chances,

Edited by metempsychotic

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

Output is the same as input when a cheap charger with no protection circuits is used. 

220V will always ring your bell. 

Since OEM  chargers are so generally counterfeited in Asia and even on Ebay and Amazon I gave up and only buy from one company now. Check out Anker Thailand shop on Lazada. I've been buying from them for years and never been disappointed. 

No, I don't get a kickback from Anker. I support their products because as an electronic engineer I know them to be good designs. People don't need to die from cheap chargers. 

Do you have a link?

I just searched for Anker Thailand on Lazada and it came up with nothing.

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Just watch the video which I posted above before you present your not existing knowledge. You're welcome.

I agree with what you are saying, but even Apple iphones are, or were, either manufactured or assembled in China.  They may be using better parts inside, but that assembly still could see solder causing a possible arc / short problem, because QA and QC in China is not the best.

Also, even expensive equipment manufactured in developed nations aren't always what they seem.  Eg. exploding Samsung batteries and VW emissions cheating.

It's all capitalism at its finest.    ????

8 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I agree with what you are saying, but even Apple iphones are, or were, either manufactured or assembled in China.  They may be using better parts inside, but that assembly still could see solder causing a possible arc / short problem, because QA and QC in China is not the best.

Also, even expensive equipment manufactured in developed nations aren't always what they seem.  Eg. exploding Samsung batteries and VW emissions cheating.

It's all capitalism at its finest.    ????

Chinese people are able to produce high quality products. And they do this with the right machines, parts, and quality control.

And Chinese people are also able to produce very cheap devices which do something similar but often with no quality control, bad parts, etc.

Made in China in itself is not good or bad. They can do great work - if they want to.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Chinese people are able to produce high quality products. And they do this with the right machines, parts, and quality control.

And Chinese people are also able to produce very cheap devices which do something similar but often with no quality control, bad parts, etc.

Made in China in itself is not good or bad. They can do great work - if they want to.

Sure, but a communist country, embracing capitalism, that has big corruption, and a huge manufacturing industry, does entice the corrupt to cut corners etc, just like companies do in developed nations.  

One the worst ones in recent history is the Boeing 737 Max plane, made in the USA.  I believe they are still grounded.  Killed so many people.

I'm simply saying it's hard to trust any company, or country of manufacture or assembly, when it comes to product quality these days. 

Nothing is built to last anymore. Consumer redundancy is rife.

Here you go.

It's in the Lazada Mall.  LazMall

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop/anker-thailand/?spm=a2o4m.pdp.seller.1.7a4368374ud9nF&itemId=268626016&channelSource=pdp

Note that I have bought several things from Anker on this Lazada store, but contacted Anker first to verify that it was a flagship store. Each Anker product comes with multiple ways to verify its authenticity.

I bought this wireless charger recently and have been happy with it.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/anker-powerwave-75-pad-with-quick-charge-30-fast-wireless-charger-i268626016-s420567250.html?spm=a2o4m.10453683.0.0.18891f4cCM5hT5

I've owned this charger for two years also. It supports quickcharge on my Samsung Galaxy as well as other phones.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/anker-powerport-speed-with-2-quick-charge-30-i214799812-s325209290.html?spm=a2o4m.10453683.0.0.18891f4cs8YtGm

This beauty of car charger is robust and provides a quick charge as well.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/anker-powerdrive-speed-2-quick-charge-qc-30-2-i262328260-s403990084.html?spm=a2o4m.10453683.0.0.18891f4cXvwd3Q

I've had this Bluetooth speaker for over a year. Great range and battery life and big sound as well.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/anker-soundcore-2-bluetooth-speaker-12w-ipx5-24-i248637522-s383012273.html?spm=a2o4m.10453683.0.0.18891f4cjV2SD1

This powerbank is nearly two years old and will charge my S7 phone nearly 5 times from 5% to 100% and it's well below the limit for carrying on a plane; never had an issue.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/anker-powercore-13400-with-quick-charge-30-powerbank-qc30-micro-usb-i248480643-s382679239.html?spm=a2o4m.seller.list.17.37f1171fDwXArf&mp=1

I guess it's clear I like their products and have talked shop with their engineers. Their designs are solid and their support is superb.

Enjoy

20 hours ago, Percy P said:

Your dead right . If your electricity incoming mains board is fitted with a Residual Earth Leakage Trip ( RELT) if would be vertically impossible to get electrocuted.

In England for the past 50 years every new home built the building regulations sTate that the house be fitted with this device. It's a must. 

we are told to wear a safety helmet when riding a motorbike. We are told to buckle up with a seat belt when driving a car all for ones own safety but nothing is said about safety in relations to e!electricity in one's home. I advise people who haven't got this device fitted on the incoming  electricity supply board to get one fitted.

Partial quote from above......Your dead right . If your electricity incoming mains board is fitted with a Residual Earth Leakage Trip ( RELT) if would be vertically impossible to get electrocuted.

You got it in one. Sadly for him he was horizontal at the time. 

This is nothing new, Fires and Electrocutions caused by cheap "aftermarket" chargers that are made in China.

They will have many endorsements printed or stamped on them but in reality those CE, UL, TuV, BS kitemark and other logos that imply the product meets the appropriate safety standards are worthless. 

Thankfully we have Trading Standards confiscating and destroying these dangerous devices in the UK that have fake endorsements but still I know a number of people who have firsthand experience of the devices Exploding, catching fire and users getting a nasty shock.

But at least in the UK we are doing something about them.

• Like 1

This is case  #2 in a few months.   Dad way to go.  I wonder of main power came through his 5 v cable  or mains to a 220/usb 5v transformer?  Seems another important issue for the thai government.    I know they try to stop Rokex watches  at MBK but all the merchants just call to find out where the men are on what floor. 

On 1/22/2020 at 10:19 AM, metempsychotic said:

Im amazed you aren't worried about the potential fire risk having all that paper around a house wired for electricity.

So you are missing electricity or paper, or both?

Easily amazed.

On 1/22/2020 at 11:29 PM, Golden Triangle said:

Any electrical item I have is switched off before I go to bed and left in the lounge, if I have need of an alarm the majority of mobile phones will still wake you even if switched off.

I don't understand this need to be connected 24/7.

A lot of people charge their phone overnight, whilst they are sleeping, but not whilst they are sleeping on it.