BANGKOK
FarangFB

Fast car market paradox

I've been looking at fast cars (let's say 0-100 under 6 seconds), and the market is really strange for cars like that.

Under 1M you either have to completely sacrifice any comfort and go for a modded 1993 Nissan 300ZX or a fake Mitsubishi EVO (Lancer/Cedia fitted with a doubtful source EVO engine). Less comfort than those upcountry tuk tuks made from modified motorbikes.

Anything remotely decent the past 20 years is over 1.5M and usually has very high mileage. A 2009 Nissan 370z (0-100 around 5.5s, not even that fast) is often over 2M baht for a 10+ years car with close to 100,000km on it.

That's where the performance paradox comes in, at 2.3M it's already possible to buy a brand NEW Volvo V60 t8 which goes 0-100 in 4.5s. It's not really a 2 seater coupe but everything else (power, comfort, warranty, features, technology) completely blows anything 2nd hand in that price range. Anything that has comparable performance will cost over 3M even used - let's say a BMW M3 E92 2010.

Am I just looking in the wrong places or is it just not making any sense?

Second hand car prices in Thailand are still "insane"  compared to most western countries.

Just bite the bullet and get the Volvo 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Most cars here will achieve your speed specs but generally only on the roof and hurtling out of control any pickup will do that and save you money 🤔  

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Where are you thinking of driving fast ?, or should i say very fast ?

regards worgeordie

I drive responsibly, getting to over 100km/h under 5s in a highway is not illegal. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 11:45 PM, FarangFB said:

I drive responsibly, getting to over 100km/h under 5s in a highway is not illegal. 

Yes, yes, but what for?  And a quick one: are you driving one handed?

• Confused 1

To do something at a reasonable price, quite a few cars have had engine swaps to a 2jz and then modded from there.  Are you actively looking to buy something, or are you just after information?

A million baht will get you a modded pickup that will run 0 to 100 in under 6 seconds.

I used to have an R1 in the UK, 0-100kph in about 2.9 seconds. But they have decent roads there, trying to mess around with powerful vehicles on Thai roads is a recipe for disaster.

• Like 2

2010 Audi TTS can also be had for a little over a million.