Fast car market paradox

FarangFB

I've been looking at fast cars (let's say 0-100 under 6 seconds), and the market is really strange for cars like that.

Under 1M you either have to completely sacrifice any comfort and go for a modded 1993 Nissan 300ZX or a fake Mitsubishi EVO (Lancer/Cedia fitted with a doubtful source EVO engine). Less comfort than those upcountry tuk tuks made from modified motorbikes.

Anything remotely decent the past 20 years is over 1.5M and usually has very high mileage. A 2009 Nissan 370z (0-100 around 5.5s, not even that fast) is often over 2M baht for a 10+ years car with close to 100,000km on it.

That's where the performance paradox comes in, at 2.3M it's already possible to buy a brand NEW Volvo V60 t8 which goes 0-100 in 4.5s. It's not really a 2 seater coupe but everything else (power, comfort, warranty, features, technology) completely blows anything 2nd hand in that price range. Anything that has comparable performance will cost over 3M even used - let's say a BMW M3 E92 2010.

Am I just looking in the wrong places or is it just not making any sense?

14 hours ago, steelepulse said:

To do something at a reasonable price, quite a few cars have had engine swaps to a 2jz and then modded from there.  Are you actively looking to buy something, or are you just after information?

It's not urgent, I already have a sub 7s car, but considering an upgrade if I find something later this year. The problem is that my car is 2014, comfortable, over 200hp, low mileage (45k) and has recent tech (keyless, rear camera, 6 air bags etc) and I paid less than 500k for it.

Would be hard to swap to a modded car from who knows what year (199x?). I found a Nissan 215SX with this engine on FB but it must be like 1992. I don't want to sacrifice everything only to make a quick 0-100, I'd like some comfort and tech as well.

11 hours ago, Airalee said:

Good to know, I haven't thought about these. However, they are cheap for a reason, any repairs on these cars would cost me a kidney and a testicle.

9 hours ago, Airalee said:

2010 Audi TTS can also be had for a little over a million.

Good find, will keep that in mind too. 

8 minutes ago, FarangFB said:

It's not urgent, I already have a sub 7s car, but considering an upgrade if I find something later this year. The problem is that my car is 2014, comfortable, over 200hp, low mileage (45k) and has recent tech (keyless, rear camera, 6 air bags etc) and I paid less than 500k for it.

Would be hard to swap to a modded car from who knows what year (199x?). I found a Nissan 215SX with this engine on FB but it must be like 1992. I don't want to sacrifice everything only to make a quick 0-100, I'd like some comfort and tech as well.

Good to know, I haven't thought about these. However, they are cheap for a reason, any repairs on these cars would cost me a kidney and a testicle.

Good find, will keep that in mind too. 

What are you looking for in a car?  A straight line burner (like the AMGs) or something for windy roads...Maehongson loop for example.  Auto or manual?  It sounds like you want some sort of two door coupe?  I just went through the same search so I’m pretty tuned in to what the market has to offer.  In this country, fun cars cost an arm and a leg.

22 minutes ago, Airalee said:
35 minutes ago, FarangFB said:

What are you looking for in a car?  A straight line burner (like the AMGs) or something for windy roads...Maehongson loop for example.  Auto or manual?  It sounds like you want some sort of two door coupe?  I just went through the same search so I’m pretty tuned in to what the market has to offer.  In this country, fun cars cost an arm and a leg.

- Something that looks at least slightly pleasant (not a modded pickup)

- Not something ancient and rare that would be impossible to find parts for (like a 1989 Lotus I found on FB marketplace)

- Preferably with paddle shifting, I can drive manuals but it's a pain in stop and go traffic

- Straight line burner is ok as long as it's not a complete disappointment for curves

- 2 door or 4 door is ok, I would totally love an EVO or a WRX sti but all I found are fakes and super expensive ones

Cars that I've considered but they are way too expensive compared to other countries and to what they offer:

- Mitsubishi EVO 8-9-10 (in Thailand they're almost all frankenstein cars made out of a regular Lancer or Cedia with a replaced engine)

- Honda Civic Type R (~2015)

- Subaru WRX sti (~2014)

- Toyota Supra (~2002)

- Nissan 350z or 370z (~2007/2010)

- Nissan Skyline R34 (~2002) (the top versions can be over TEN million baht here! And I'm talking about the old R34 ones) 

- BMW M3 E92 (~2008) (the v8 one)

- BMW 130i/135i (~2009)(couldn't even find one)

- Mercedes Benz A45 AMG (~2014)

Edited by FarangFB
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, FarangFB said:

- Something that looks at least slightly pleasant (not a modded pickup)

- Not something ancient and rare that would be impossible to find parts for (like a 1989 Lotus I found on FB marketplace)

- Preferably with paddle shifting, I can drive manuals but it's a pain in stop and go traffic

- Straight line burner is ok as long as it's not a complete disappointment for curves

- 2 door or 4 door is ok, I would totally love an EVO or a WRX sti but all I found are fakes and super expensive ones

Cars that I've considered but they are way too expensive compared to other countries and to what they offer:

- Mitsubishi EVO 8-9-10 (in Thailand they're almost all frankenstein cars made out of a regular Lancer or Cedia with a replaced engine)

- Honda Civic Type R (~2015)

- Subaru WRX sti (~2014)

- Toyota Supra (~2002)

- Nissan 350z or 370z (~2007/2010)

- Nissan Skyline R34 (~2002) (the top versions can be over TEN million baht here! And I'm talking about the old R34 ones) 

- BMW M3 E92 (~2008) (the v8 one)

- BMW 130i/135i (~2009)(couldn't even find one)

- Mercedes Benz A45 AMG (~2014)

Sounds like we had a similar list to look at.

A few others you might want to consider.

VW Golf R or Scirocco R.  Front wheel drive but still pretty nice.

Lexus SC430 (also called the Toyota Soarer). Kinda bloated looking but would be a nice cruiser.  

@2005-2009 Lotus Elise  (Toyota engine so I assume it’s reliable?  Very uncomfortable?)

Mazda MX-5 NA/NB/NC. (not sub 6 second but still fun)

22 hours ago, SteveK said:

But they have decent roads there, trying to mess around with powerful vehicles on Thai roads is a recipe for disaster.

There are some great roads in Thailand, some don't have much traffic also :wink:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FarangFB said:
On 1/25/2020 at 2:22 PM, Airalee said:

...and both of them are likely to be modified non-AMG-from-the-factory cars.  The "E55" definitely is because the description says so and S55s/E55s with negligible mileages of 109/127k km do not go for those sort of prices.

3 hours ago, Airalee said:

Sounds like we had a similar list to look at.

A few others you might want to consider.

VW Golf R or Scirocco R.  Front wheel drive but still pretty nice.

Lexus SC430 (also called the Toyota Soarer). Kinda bloated looking but would be a nice cruiser.  

@2005-2009 Lotus Elise  (Toyota engine so I assume it’s reliable?  Very uncomfortable?)

Mazda MX-5 NA/NB/NC. (not sub 6 second but still fun)

Scirocco R seems a decent option assuming the 0-100 is under 6s, found a couple at one2car for around 1.5M. However, VW is quite rare in here, could be a pain to get parts for these.

Didn't find any Golf R, Lexus SC430 or Lotus Elise (2005-9).  Would have to be the SC model, as the regular S model is too slow.

The Mazda MX-5 can be found for under 1M but doesn't really do it for me, I wouldn't change my car for something slower, smaller and far less practical. If the car is a small 2 seater, better be very fast. 

Thanks for sharing, many more options now. However, that 400hp Volvo for 2.29M still seems damn interesting. They are probably releasing a few new cars this year. and if they make a smaller sporty hatchback (like a modern C30) with that engine for just under 2M it would be definitely my choice. A small car with that engine would fly, 0-100 maybe around 4.0-4.2 seconds

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

...and both of them are likely to be modified non-AMG-from-the-factory cars.  The "E55" definitely is because the description says so and S55s/E55s with negligible mileages of 109/127k km do not go for those sort of prices.

That sucks, once again too good to be true ???? 

45 minutes ago, FarangFB said:

Didn't find any Golf R, Lexus SC430 or Lotus Elise (2005-9).  Would have to be the SC model, as the regular S model is too slow.

Make sure you check all the platforms.  Kaidee is pretty good and there is another Thai one that I can’t remember off hand.  There doesn’t appear to be much overlap between them either.

Here’s one example of the Lexus SC430 (what we called it in the US)...even has the Levinson sound system.  I would take it over a Nissan 350 or 370 personally.

https://www.one2car.com/en/for-sale/toyota-soarer-bangkok-metropolitan-srinagarindra-thepharak/4840125

Here’s the only Golf R I came across...and I agree that parts availability would be a PITA.

https://rod.kaidee.com/product-352529332

And a nice TTRS (but it’s a manual)

https://rod.kaidee.com/product-351580345

There was an Elise SC for sale about a month ago (yellow 2010 w/ 5k for just over 2m IIRC) but it appears to either have been sold now or pulled.  Unfortunately, it was way out of my price range.

I am selling my Mk6 Golf GTI which has been professionally modified to a reliable 430bhp. Have been driving it for over a year in this setup, is very comfortable and easy to drive slow in traffic, and a beast when you put your foot down. 

BBT-430X high flow 430hp turbocharger
Forged Performance Intake
Full Exhaust System 3”
High Performance Intercooler
3 Bar Map sensor
GFB DV+Diverter Valve
R8 Audi R8 Ignition Coil
ZZP High Flow Injectors ZZP
DW65V High Flow Fuel Pump
Cobb ap  COBB Access Port ECU Tune
Stage 2 Unitronic Stage 2 TCU tune
BBS 18” BBS wheels with Soft tires
Mirror Covers, Front lip, Rear Diffuser Carbon fibre
Pioneer Apple car play stereo

I am only selling because roads in Koh Samui better suited to pickup truck. Price of all modifications more than 300k baht!! Will sell only 990,000 baht.

EDIT: Also selling an BMW E34 with a 1JZ GTE engine and a genuine Garrett GT3076r single turbo setup. Good for 400bhp also. Is an inexpensive car at 95,000 baht.

Link to the golf on fb marketplace: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1363557760516312/

1 Full water background.jpeg

Edited by madhav

5 minutes ago, br12stol said:

Just Bought a Volvo V60 T8 0-100 in 4.5 seconds, and can do 40km on pure electric mode great car

IMG_20200117_151707.jpg

IMG_20200117_151654.jpg

That looks like an absolute beast. But good luck with servicing and parts over here ????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, br12stol said:

Just Bought a Volvo V60 T8 0-100 in 4.5 seconds, and can do 40km on pure electric mode great car

IMG_20200117_151707.jpg

IMG_20200117_151654.jpg

That is a very good choice. I had a long drive in the XC60 a few months ago and quite liked it but in the end opted for a different PHEV. If I had known that was coming I may have waited.

Just out of interest I’m going to the S60 launch in a few days time and I will be very surprised if is not another desirable motor from them. 

if you want something quick, which is also quiet and quite luxurious an upmarket PHEV is the way to go.

• Like 2