BANGKOK
webfact

Thailand road carnage: Media reveal nearly 1,000 more died last year at the scene of accidents

Thailand road carnage: Media reveal nearly 1,000 more died last year at the scene of accidents

10pm.jpg

Thai caption: Campaign to lessen the death toll on the roads: Monday's death toll: 73

Picture: Daily News

Thailand's appalling road accident statistics showed no sign of improvement last year - in fact they were much worse despite official rhetoric that something was being done. 

Daily News reported that deaths at the scene in 2018 (January 1st to December 31st) were 13,956.

Last year in the same time period this rose to 14,907. 

Stats for 2017 (January 1st to December 25th) were 13,426 dead at the scene. 

10pm1.jpg

The media always warns that this is just fatalities at the scene of accidents. The reality is that when deaths on the way to hospitals and at hospitals themselves are included the figures are much worse. 

Senior Thai government officials including DPM Prawit Wongsuwan admitted last year that the figure was in excess of 20,000. Thai road safety advocates put it between 24,000 and 26,000 per year, notes Thaivisa.

Meanwhile, 2020 is looking just as bad as ever. 

10pm2.jpg

Daily News - in their ongoing campaign to raise awareness and try and lessen the carnage -  said 73 people died yesterday alone.

This brought the death toll for the first 20 days of January to 840 people. 

One of those who lost their lives was 48 year old Phaiboon on a motorcycle who was run over by a ten wheel truck in Kalasin in Thailand's north east. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-21
  • Sad 5

57 minutes ago, webfact said:

Media reveal nearly 1,000 more died last year at the scene of accidents

" at the scene of accidents" In fact, we should expect 3 times more.

• Like 1

Looking at the chart in the article the death toll seems to be higher on a Monday; 6th (69), 13th (56) and the 20th (73). I wonder why that is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, saengd said:

I'm guessing high alcohol consumption over the weekend, still in the blood stream on Monday morning, maybe.

Thanks for your reply. To be honest, I did think that, but I would've thought that accidents would be higher on the weekend itself, unless people are drinking loads and not driving? Just thought it to be a little strange for Mondays to be the highest.

• Like 2

I would say imprison every Thai that kills anyone on the roads, but that would just be silly - there aren't enough prisons

• Like 2
  • Sad 1