Thailand road carnage: Media reveal nearly 1,000 more died last year at the scene of accidents

webfact

Thailand road carnage: Media reveal nearly 1,000 more died last year at the scene of accidents

10pm.jpg

Thai caption: Campaign to lessen the death toll on the roads: Monday's death toll: 73

Picture: Daily News

Thailand's appalling road accident statistics showed no sign of improvement last year - in fact they were much worse despite official rhetoric that something was being done. 

Daily News reported that deaths at the scene in 2018 (January 1st to December 31st) were 13,956.

Last year in the same time period this rose to 14,907. 

Stats for 2017 (January 1st to December 25th) were 13,426 dead at the scene. 

10pm1.jpg

The media always warns that this is just fatalities at the scene of accidents. The reality is that when deaths on the way to hospitals and at hospitals themselves are included the figures are much worse. 

Senior Thai government officials including DPM Prawit Wongsuwan admitted last year that the figure was in excess of 20,000. Thai road safety advocates put it between 24,000 and 26,000 per year, notes Thaivisa.

Meanwhile, 2020 is looking just as bad as ever. 

10pm2.jpg

Daily News - in their ongoing campaign to raise awareness and try and lessen the carnage -  said 73 people died yesterday alone.

This brought the death toll for the first 20 days of January to 840 people. 

One of those who lost their lives was 48 year old Phaiboon on a motorcycle who was run over by a ten wheel truck in Kalasin in Thailand's north east. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-21
  • Sad 5

1 minute ago, saengd said:

I'm guessing high alcohol consumption over the weekend, still in the blood stream on Monday morning, maybe.

Thanks for your reply. To be honest, I did think that, but I would've thought that accidents would be higher on the weekend itself, unless people are drinking loads and not driving? Just thought it to be a little strange for Mondays to be the highest.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, rickb said:

I have lived here in Thailand since 2007 and each year, without fail, especially around the 7-day holidays, I have heard the Government saying they were going to crack down on speeding and driving intoxicated.  Yet, every year the statistics of deaths on the roads has remained essentially the same.  The truth is that every year this serious problem only receives lip service and no real actions have ever been taken in an effort to reduce the number of fatalities.  Also, without fail, every year we farangs have clearly identified several actions that could be taken to help tackle this problem, ideas like enforce speed limits, implement serious penalties for breaking laws like driving intoxicated, speeding, driving in the wrong direction (especially with a motorcycle), youth driving without a license, etc., etc.  Yet, sadly, nothing ever changes here in Thailand.  So I fully expect that we will continue reading horrible statistics about road deaths because neither the government nor the police really care.

Proves how useless the government is, no leadership. Thais dont read road signs either so no good putting up warning signs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wiggy said:

Looking at the chart in the article the death toll seems to be higher on a Monday; 6th (69), 13th (56) and the 20th (73). I wonder why that is.

Because they hurry to work, or work overtime the first day of the week, and drive home exhausted.

54 minutes ago, rickb said:

I have lived here in Thailand since 2007 and each year, without fail, especially around the 7-day holidays, I have heard the Government saying they were going to crack down on speeding and driving intoxicated.  Yet, every year the statistics of deaths on the roads has remained essentially the same.  The truth is that every year this serious problem only receives lip service and no real actions have ever been taken in an effort to reduce the number of fatalities.  Also, without fail, every year we farangs have clearly identified several actions that could be taken to help tackle this problem, ideas like enforce speed limits, implement serious penalties for breaking laws like driving intoxicated, speeding, driving in the wrong direction (especially with a motorcycle), youth driving without a license, etc., etc.  Yet, sadly, nothing ever changes here in Thailand.  So I fully expect that we will continue reading horrible statistics about road deaths because neither the government nor the police really care.

So you are to blind to see the road blocks where they actually do crack down on drunk driving?

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, dcsw53 said:

WorldAtlas has the figure of death at scene as 25,000. But we are still behind Libya, and kicking out all the old farangs will not improve our score. Help is on the way, the increase of speed limits on dual carriageways from 90km to 120km/hr is a move in the right direction.

Yes; people die faster when they are driving at higher speeds so they will be counted at the scene and not hidden away !

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, saengd said:

I'm guessing high alcohol consumption over the weekend, still in the blood stream on Monday morning, maybe.

59 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

Thanks for your reply. To be honest, I did think that, but I would've thought that accidents would be higher on the weekend itself, unless people are drinking loads and not driving? Just thought it to be a little strange for Mondays to be the highest.

I'd say that it may have to do with people partying at home on Sunday night and then trying to get back to (wherever) in the wee hours of Monday morning so they can get to work (or school). Lots of people probably party all night on Friday/Saturday and don't want to drive on Sunday and then end up partying on Sunday as well. Try to get an hour's sleep then drive back to (wherever) in time for (whatever).

The chart shows that, for the first 20 days of the month the average daily death toll is 42. Over a year that works out to 15,330 which is even more than this year. However, it's possible the numbers could drop once people are back into a non-holiday routine.

Canada has about half the population of Thailand, with everything from wide open highways across the prairies to the urban jungles of the big cities, with heaps of freezing snow and ice to deal with for half the year as well.

Total road deaths in 2017 - 1,841 (and they count anyone who was in an accident and died within 30 days after the accident). The total includes pedestrians, drivers, passengers and cyclists. An average of 5 per day.

I guess there's something to be said for more efficient and effective policing, better driver training/qualification standards - and better emergency response/healthcare I suppose as well. Still cringe when I think about how they throw people in the back of a pickup and drive them off to a hospital somewhere without any backboards or spinal support (or any other kind of medical support).
No wonder they don't include all the people who die in the hospitals afterwards. Their numbers would dwarf every other countries by a mile !

• Like 1

So here's the oxymoron. We've all seen the surge in cyclists on the roads-complete with 

Lycra outfits and headgear. But when the same folk ( not all obviously ) mount the motorbikes - do they bother with a crash helmet?? Greater speed - but Buddha will protect!

Talking of oxymorons - you see the explosion in wearing facemasks? What use they have is problematic. But more than once I've seen guys lift the mask up , light up and smoke!!

It's best these people don't breed, methinks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The WHO did an updated report in 2018 on world road fatalities as of 2016, including individual country profiles. They put the Thailand number at about 22,491 for 2016, or 32.7 fatalities per 100,000 population. Below is the summary for Thailand:

https://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/road_safety_status/2018/en/

388282569_2020-01-2115_35_11.jpg.80d53ba48bf90479e44007409cd1cca7.jpg

700606008_2020-01-2115_36_01.jpg.a2ce680f1fa21dab78b186e72b29222b.jpg

A thick culture kills them selves on the road and thick people in charge pretend to know or care about how to address it. Just yesterday morning a father came to pick up his young son from our house to drive him to a family funeral 200 kilometers away where 3 of them died in a road accident....and he was completely pi$$ed and stinking of booze!! 

The Thai thick gene.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Great job Thailand. You can be the world hub of road kill I have faith in you.????

I’m sure you they are number one when all fatalities are counted.  Just like they have their own safe pollution numbers that are higher than international standards