Thailand road carnage: Media reveal nearly 1,000 more died last year at the scene of accidents

webfact

Corrupt data and statistics are tools for officialdom to support their relevance and importance. Closer investigation often reveals that there is no honor by those who deceive and don the apparel of legitimacy.

Some years ago I was involved with a survey carried out by farang medics (not MSF but similar) that went to a lot of hospitals in many provinces and looked at actual admissions and outcomes. The results then were far worse than anything being discussed here because (eg) multiple sub-teens without helmets, insurance or licences, on motosy or in cars, tended not to be recorded - especially further from the main cities. Why bother to make up a file for someone who won't survive and won't be treated? (still relevant in Thai facilities - if it's 'obvious' you won't survive, they won't bother to start trying).

The extrapolated 'actual' death figures if you included all those brought into A&Es in whatever state (as a direct result of RTAs) was around a barely-credible SEVENTY thousand per year.

Before you all shout, this was a statistically done private survey based on actual responses from actual medical staffs up and down the country.

Since then, there have (don't laugh) been some improvements in helmet use, but also more vehicles. I doubt the real stats have changed much - we're talking +/- 200 per day deaths.

Edited by spinner2020
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Official rubbish more like. In all the years I have been here I have not once seen the cops doing anything about tackling unsafe driving. Tea money stops everywhere, but those just enhance the cops wages rather than preventing accidents. The reality is people can drive how the hell they like with impunity from prosecution in this lifetime, and the longer they get away with it without killing themselves first, the higher the numbers will be, which this article shows is what is actually happening.

The truth is THE THAI POPULOUS DOESN'T WANT CHANGE, they along with the officials and police are happy with the way things are.

Daily they take to the roads and are happy to take their chances of survival.

To train/change/educate all costs money and that they do not want.

If you're a foreigner here on holiday or an expat live with it, put up with and suffer it

because it's never going to change!

• Like 2

Thailand appears to rank #9 in the WHO report among all nations in per capita road deaths, exceeded only by a mostly sh**hole group of countries. I sorted the WHO data below by road deaths rateper 100,000 population (the far right column).

259710254_2020-01-2115_53_29.jpg.d9bd015754e4dc007eaafa03061e63a9.jpg

In very good company right there with Liberia, Zimbabwe, Burundi and the Central African Republic, among others.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

24 minutes ago, Benmart said:

Corrupt data and statistics are tools for officialdom to support their relevance and importance. Closer investigation often reveals that there is no honor by those who deceive and don the apparel of legitimacy.

One of the best and most consistent businesses in Thailand is to be coffin manufacturer/supplier.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Borzandy said:

" at the scene of accidents" In fact, we should expect 3 times more.

I don't like to speak disrespectfully, but counting only the people dying on the road is ridiculous!

And certainly dishonest. Let's just imagine someone shooting someone if the victim does not die until a week later, the murderer is the same. well, it is not like that on the roads in Thailand, after a serious road accident the person dies later in the hospital, well he did not die on the road. ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BobbyL said:

The stats are utterly scandalous. Thailand should be ashamed that people are dying continuously every hour on their roads and absolutely nothing is being done about it. The roads are completely lawless. 

Thailand is nr. 2 from 195 countries in the world with road death! ONLY on the road: the people who are dying in the ambulance or in the hospital are NOT counted!

3 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

WorldAtlas has the figure of death at scene as 25,000. But we are still behind Libya,

This is an unfair count, because in Libya the might count the the victims of roadside bombings aswell.

The crown belongs to Thailand, the L(and) O(f) S(treet deaths)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you ever wondered what would happen if there were no traffic enforcement, that is Thailand. It actually works amazingly well considering this. Thais believe there are no traffic rules for motorbikes and I would have to agree with them. Nothing changes unless there are traffic police. Easy to fix but hard to change. So sad for all the families. Love the Thai people.

• Like 1

They really dont care.I remember once discussing the couple on the round the world cycling  trip who were both killed together on a Thai road with some locals and they were actually proud and laughed at their demise.

Edited by meshborg
missing word

4 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

WorldAtlas has the figure of death at scene as 25,000. But we are still behind Libya, and kicking out all the old farangs will not improve our score. Help is on the way, the increase of speed limits on dual carriageways from 90km to 120km/hr is a move in the right direction.

They do 120 in a 90 zone now.  Raising it to 120 will mean drivers will do 150.

Thailand, the hub of killing in driving in the country. This could be a new slogan for attract tourists to come!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing ever will change as the police is doing nothing, just sit or stand around and get payed for doing nothing. Oh yes, look for pribes all over all the time!

No driving school with an exam at the end , otherwise no driving licence and change of the habit of the people as they not ride an buffalo anymore: its a car or motorbike, quite bit faster!

But in Thailand nobody realized that and not care about anything only: me first.

2 hours ago, Sinistralian said:

So here's the oxymoron. We've all seen the surge in cyclists on the roads-complete with 

Lycra outfits and headgear. But when the same folk ( not all obviously ) mount the motorbikes - do they bother with a crash helmet?? Greater speed - but Buddha will protect!

Talking of oxymorons - you see the explosion in wearing facemasks? What use they have is problematic. But more than once I've seen guys lift the mask up , light up and smoke!!

It's best these people don't breed, methinks.

Interesting observation. You make a big assumption ... Do you know many who do road cycling here ? 

The guys (and few girls) who do ride road bikes .. with all the Lycra stuff.... I would not be surprised at all if not most of them do wear  helmets if they also ride  motor bikes (mb).  My gf always wear a helmet when she takes the mb to the market. We both ride road bikes ...

• Like 1

I'm convinced the primary cause of accidents is speed, of course exacerbated by alcohol. My Soi's entrance is right at the point of a UTurn so I  get to see approaching cars flashing their lights to warn UTURNERS that they are approaching...and at speed. There's no slowing down as they approach indeed even an increase in speed. There are road rules here in thailand of a sort but for the most part drivers make up their own. The main road I access here should be a 60km max speed but if you didn't know any better you would be convinced you would be hearing a MTOGP or formula one was taking place.

I'm forever cursing the stupidity of their decisions so much so that I'm no longer surprised at the things they do. There's just no hope for regulating and enforcing the rules as the game keepers are doing the same thing. Am I a competent driver you might ask? I was driving loaded wheat trucks in WA at 16, I have many heavy vehicle licences earned from my 8 years stint in the 4/19th Prince of Wales regiment in Victoria (and  later in2 Commando Co. )including armoured cars and semis.  A question often on my mind is why aren't there more deaths here on the  roads?

I'm certain of one thing  if you can survive driving on the roads in Thailand you can drive anywhere in the world.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

Help is on the way, the increase of speed limits on dual carriageways from 90km to 120km/hr is a move in the right direction.

I wish they'd get a move on. I'm fed up of signs flashing 90 on motorway 7, and even 60 on Sirat outer ring road when there's hardly any traffic.

5 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Thanks for your reply. To be honest, I did think that, but I would've thought that accidents would be higher on the weekend itself, unless people are drinking loads and not driving? Just thought it to be a little strange for Mondays to be the highest.

People get away from work locations at the weekend... Monday mornings people hit the roads to get back for work... more traffic on the roads at the same time.

3 hours ago, spinner2020 said:

The extrapolated 'actual' death figures if you included all those brought into A&Es in whatever state (as a direct result of RTAs) was around a barely-credible SEVENTY thousand per year.

Before you all shout, this was a statistically done private survey based on actual responses from actual medical staffs up and down the country.

That' more like the truth right there!

6 hours ago, saengd said:

Controls population growth and removes the dimmest too, I hate to sound callous but it does work.

It's thinking like that that could lead to a resurgence in Eugenics.

I salute you sir!

SARCASM ALERT

Edited by Baerboxer

Typical Thailand misleading statistics - they use deaths at the accident scene. How about a true road toll? Can't be that hard, when people are admitted to hospital they know why. 

And their tourism statistics have been the butt of 10,000 jokes on this forum.

"Face" and statistics don't mix