Thailand road carnage: Media reveal nearly 1,000 more died last year at the scene of accidents

webfact

32 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

It's just gone 7pm and I have drove about 4.5km home and almost every other bike have got no lights on

And they love driving their bike on the wrong side of the road if it can save them 10 seconds. Even cars sometimes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Saint Nick said:

Do they, though?

Or do they just open their hands and let anyone go, who's willing to cough up a few hundred baht?

And that adds to the problem. I wonder how many hypocrites on this forum have been stopped for either DD, no helmet, no licence, no registration and complained about coughing up money so they can go on their merry way, only to continually break the rules.

its not just the Thai’s. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

WorldAtlas has the figure of death at scene as 25,000. But we are still behind Libya, and kicking out all the old farangs will not improve our score. Help is on the way, the increase of speed limits on dual carriageways from 90km to 120km/hr is a move in the right direction.

Speed limit don't make us all laugh, you can drive as fast as you want here anyway as no one cares, increasing the speed limit will only cause more deaths in lawless Thailand! 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, SunsetT said:
7 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Great job Thailand. You can be the world hub of road kill I have faith in you.????

Can only get worse with increasing smartphone use while driving and mbike riding!

Is it even illegal?

I'm sure there's a committee at DLT discussing the legality of this as we write.

6 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

WorldAtlas has the figure of death at scene as 25,000. But we are still behind Libya, and kicking out all the old farangs will not improve our score. Help is on the way, the increase of speed limits on dual carriageways from 90km to 120km/hr is a move in the right direction.

Smog also helps, with zero visibility should get the stats up in no time.

7 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

Which direction? Any direction is right for Thais on a dual carriageway.

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 1

I think the increase is probably very true as I've noticed the increase in aggression on the roads, which is probably proportional to the increase of traffic, especially in built up areas. During peak hours this increases dramatically, which can only lead to more accidents & deaths. My 20 years of driving here has seen a daily spate of accidents, some minor & some very serious, which could have been avoided but for the lack of forethought, "me first" attitudes & totally ignoring road signs & traffic laws. The roads are confusing at the best of times & incorrectly signed/marked on the roads are no excuse ........ people here just seem to have a "death wish". All this "Karma" stuff is nonsense, but the culture here will never change. Politicians, police & those in authority just shrug their shoulders & allow this carnage to continue year by year. If you drive here in Thailand get use to it ....... fact.

11 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

Help is on the way, the increase of speed limits on dual carriageways from 90km to 120km/hr is a move in the right direction.

It's the way they drive not the speed! 

Most of the time the passing lane is blocked by slower traffic anyway. 

Edited by mickey rat

4 hours ago, Bundooman said:

"kicking out all the old farangs will not improve our score".

What a totally, stupid, stupid, arrogant and worthless remark.

Let me tell you something sunshine, I'm an old guy and I drive a car and ride a motorbike here in Thailand and have done so for 15 years.. I also work and don't sit on my fat butt every day swilling beer and drooling over a beer gut, wearing wife beater T-shirt and trying to pretend I'm 40 years younger - while wishing I could get a hard-on for a change and be a stud every day for every tight-pussie-in boots BG that passes and stinking of BO and fag ash - loud mouthing my exploits in Special Forces or the SAS and sexual conquests.

I personally, am extremely fit and suggest to you, Oh wondrous Adonis of the world - I probably have more patience, knowledge of defensive driving skills, driving experience and less aggression in my personality on Thai roads, than you have lifting your finger to pick your nose.

In short, I am no different to many of my TV colleagues on this forum  who view your immature and vindictive comment as utter trash...……………………...

Go back to your beer , cheap flip flops and baggy pants and fantasise what it means to actually drive properly in this country - and look closely at your silly, silly, comment, "our score".

Delusions of grandeur!

There endeth the lesson!

Write a book. ????

7 hours ago, Bundooman said:

"kicking out all the old farangs will not improve our score".

What a totally, stupid, stupid, arrogant and worthless remark.

Let me tell you something sunshine, I'm an old guy and I drive a car and ride a motorbike here in Thailand and have done so for 15 years.. I also work and don't sit on my fat butt every day swilling beer and drooling over a beer gut, wearing wife beater T-shirt and trying to pretend I'm 40 years younger - while wishing I could get a hard-on for a change and be a stud every day for every tight-pussie-in boots BG that passes and stinking of BO and fag ash - loud mouthing my exploits in Special Forces or the SAS and sexual conquests.

I personally, am extremely fit and suggest to you, Oh wondrous Adonis of the world - I probably have more patience, knowledge of defensive driving skills, driving experience and less aggression in my personality on Thai roads, than you have lifting your finger to pick your nose.

In short, I am no different to many of my TV colleagues on this forum  who view your immature and vindictive comment as utter trash...……………………...

Go back to your beer , cheap flip flops and baggy pants and fantasise what it means to actually drive properly in this country - and look closely at your silly, silly, comment, "our score".

Delusions of grandeur!

There endeth the lesson!

Wow, someone forgot to take their pills. I think you may have misinterpreted his " kicking out the old farangs" remark.

Unless the police start doing their jobs properly by enforcing the law things will never improve.

Setting up the odd roadblock when in minutes, everyone knows about and then avoids is a totally pointless excercise.

Imo they should have many more mobile police patroling 24/7 and arresting the offenders as and when.

Having said that, the standard of driving here is a much more difficult problem to address. It is alledged 10 million plus do not even have a

license so nothing to even lose if caught.

17 hours ago, saengd said:

Controls population growth and removes the dimmest too, I hate to sound callous but it does work.

Unfortunately, the dimmest as you call them also take innocent, intelligent people with them - so not a very well thought out comment. 

10 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

Speed limit don't make us all laugh, you can drive as fast as you want here anyway as no one cares, increasing the speed limit will only cause more deaths in lawless Thailand! 

So, if no one cares and everyone drives as fast as they want to, why will increasing the "legal" speed cause more deaths? 

Edited by Artisi

13 minutes ago, justin case said:

thailand does not even care for thai people

so farangs, expect nothing at all that being an ATM machine for a family

till you run out

no logic, no common sense, no manners, no education

You said it yourself.... so farangs, expect nothing at all that being an ATM machine for a family.

........No logic, no common sense.

Seems like it’s the farang with no logic or common sense or education if he is stupid enough to use all his money on a gf and family!

The Thai will obviously take from Mr Dumb..ss

19 hours ago, BobbyL said:

The stats are utterly scandalous. Thailand should be ashamed that people are dying continuously every hour on their roads and absolutely nothing is being done about it. The roads are completely lawless. 

Even cops get killed by Ferraris of spoiled millionaers breed and nothing happens...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, saengd said:

Controls population growth and removes the dimmest too, I hate to sound callous but it does work.

Great logic. I guess all those innocent children who die in road accidents here will only grow up to be dim anyway, right? 

Why didn't China use this dystopian logic before they enforced their one-child policy? 

840 deaths in the first 20 days of January! That is the equivalent of 2 jumbo jets crashing! If 2 Thai Airways jets crashed within 20 days of each other, the government and the international community would do something about it! But no-one seems to want to take the steps to prevent this carnage! Proper on road driving tests. No insurance, confiscate car and crush it within 15 days. No crash helmet the same. Thoroughly test all vehicles over 3 years old for roadworthiness annually! Failure of test, remove vehicle from road. Put more police on road for moving traffic violations instead of 20 officers manning static checkpoints. Drink driving, 12 month ban minimum. Repeat offenders jail time. All the above require a police force that is prepared to enforce the law and get out on the streets! 

1 hour ago, graemeaylward said:

840 deaths in the first 20 days of January! That is the equivalent of 2 jumbo jets crashing! If 2 Thai Airways jets crashed within 20 days of each other, the government and the international community would do something about it! But no-one seems to want to take the steps to prevent this carnage! Proper on road driving tests. No insurance, confiscate car and crush it within 15 days. No crash helmet the same. Thoroughly test all vehicles over 3 years old for roadworthiness annually! Failure of test, remove vehicle from road. Put more police on road for moving traffic violations instead of 20 officers manning static checkpoints. Drink driving, 12 month ban minimum. Repeat offenders jail time. All the above require a police force that is prepared to enforce the law and get out on the streets! 

I agree with what you say only one problem confiscating the cars I think most are on finance what would you do there?