Lyep looy - what does it mean?

Inderpland

22 hours ago, Inderpland said:

Thanks to all posters. I entered "completely" instead "completed" in the translation program I'm using hence the confusion.

BTW, I find that the Thai2english is better than Google Translate but are there other programs/apps out there that are even better?

for single word look ups the benjawan poonson becker thai dictionary is the best I have seen 

https://word-in-the-hand.com/

19 hours ago, Maestro said:

I doubt very much that there is any translation program that can help you with things like Lyep looy.

So true and worth pointing out the reason, which is that one will often hear เลียบล้อย from people who say ล in place of ร 

I wont go further than that because the programme I use will not allow me to type phonetics easily. 

On 1/22/2020 at 1:07 PM, Maestro said:

I doubt very much that there is any translation program that can help you with things like Lyep looy.

Well, it seems you're wrong. I tried speaking lyep looy (intentionally pronouncing it incorrect with l's instead or r's) into Google Translate and it came up with the right answer (เรียบร้อย) and it said the word means neat. But as second choice it said completed and I guess both are correct.

I must say I'm impressed with Google Translate, they must have improved dramatically since I first tried it.

I was at the golf course yesterday and explaining the expression ควายหายหรือ Buffalos disappeared ?  As a criticism of rushing and added “And for the caddie’s ควายหายหลือ”  they didn’t demur, one added ตามควายหลือ which is just as good. They might have said เลอ ฦา or something else but I understood it to mean หรือ.   

Later I was explaining my belief to the non Thai speaker that if one learns the correct pronunciation first one naturally adopts the authentic sounding Thai later.  ‘Rolling the Rs’ takes a conscious effort on my part.  In schools children are taught Central Thai but also to respect their regional dialect and when the use of each is appropriate. 

On 1/21/2020 at 6:33 PM, Somtamnication said:

When you ask someone if they have eaten, they will say that phrase if they ate already. Students tidying up the classroom and finished. All posters correct.  Done, finished, completed.

ahhh - 'Imm Looy' 

Muslim couple in our pool, dressed in Muslim swimming outfits: he long sleeves, legs of his pants until knee. She sleeveless top but long legs until ankle. All black. Gf (not Muslim) called this outfit lieploi

Put new tablecloth on table.  First i put a crumpled cloth on the table,  then i changed it to an ironed one. Gf looked at it and found it lieploi.

On 1/21/2020 at 2:33 PM, Somtamnication said:

When you ask someone if they have eaten, they will say that phrase if they ate already. Students tidying up the classroom and finished. All posters correct.  Done, finished, completed.

eem leo, khrap ( for me )

Edited by Assurancetourix

It has been my observation that when someone asks somebody else if he has already eaten, the question is generally phrased as "kin khaw rue yang" or simply "kin khaw yang".

Depending on whether or not he has already eaten, the answer usually is "kin lew khrap" or "yang khrap"