Celebrities blame pollution on Government incompetence

webfact

2 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Farmers need some sort of incentive/assistance to plough the sugar cane stubble back into the ground or find another way to deal with it. Simply banning the burning without researching alternative ways to deal with the harvest residue isn’t realistic. This should have been done many governments ago.

It is not burning the cane stubble that is the problem, most years the stubble is left to regrow. 

The foliage is burnt off before the harvest as this apparently makes the harvest easier.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

I agree 100%. We all feel the same for the most part. Just lazy farmers and corrupt governments dont grasp the damge actually being done to ALL life forms and the long term lack of nutrients in the soil by burning everything

Government allows proven deadly chemicals to these same morons that are setting fire to it right now. People really need to think about what they are really breathing.

Maybe we need to look at the supply chain, the lazy farmers sell their product to who? HISO in charge of biggest food company in Thailand?

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

I agree 100%. We all feel the same for the most part. Just lazy farmers and corrupt governments dont grasp the damge actually being done to ALL life forms and the long term lack of nutrients in the soil by burning everything

Government allows proven deadly chemicals to these same morons that are setting fire to it right now. People really need to think about what they are really breathing.

Actually you aren't too smart. Burning is good for nature. Good for soil and crops. And it's difficult to believe they lay blame for the pollution on crop burning.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, loong said:

It is not burning the cane stubble that is the problem, most years the stubble is left to regrow. 

The foliage is burnt off before the harvest as this apparently makes the harvest easier.

Thanks for clarification. It seems to me that the government needs to consult with the farmers to find a solution to the fact that the capital city of Thailand is blanketed in smoke, which they don’t seem to be doing. Prayut and his old cronies are damaging the country.

• Like 1

This is not a government they are soldiers maybe not even. They are a group of old men chasing cash. They have destroyed Thailand literally. I can't believe Thais do nothing about it. I thought they were tuff. They ain't and it's going to get much worse.

• Like 2

This is not a government they are soldiers maybe not even. They are a group of old men chasing cash. They have destroyed Thailand literally. I can't believe Thais do nothing about it. I thought they were tuff. They ain't and it's going to get much worse.

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Can these celebrities please stop pretending that they are smarter or more concerned than the rest of us?

I.e. if someone is a good singer then he/she is a good singer and not an expert or a role model for lots of other things.

We have bad pollution - I can see that just by looking out of the window. And it won't go away until the police enforces lots of laws.

But imagine what would happen if the police would suddenly enforce all those laws? I am sure lots of citizens would be very upset and blame the "military government" for being too strong.

Whatever they do or don't do some people will be upset.

Any pressure which can be placed on those of decisions making power is a good thing and these celebrities being this pressure through social media. 

Those in positions of decision making power only seem to respond to these issues and those similar when forced to though embarrassment or otherwise only if they stand to profit. 

The power of social media is no small thing, however, in Thailand I’m not even sure that social media is powerful enough to counter the arrogance and carelessness of those who could effect real change. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Celebrities have a high status in Thailand.....many people respect them much more than they respect government...of course, they're not smarter or more concerned than the rest of us, but they do have a voice.

In principle I agree with you. But having a voice has nothing to do with having knowledge.

It seems many of these celebrities promote almost anything as long as they get paid for it.

It would be great if celebrities would use their position to promote facts and scientific information. But it seems that is not a strength of most of them...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tomauasia said:

That reminds me about that old man and his little incompetent sister chasing cash...

5 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Farmers need some sort of incentive/assistance to plough the sugar cane stubble back into the ground or find another way to deal with it. Simply banning the burning without researching alternative ways to deal with the harvest residue isn’t realistic. This should have been done many governments ago.

They burn the sugar cane to make it easier to harvest by hand.

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Can these celebrities please stop pretending that they are smarter or more concerned than the rest of us?

I.e. if someone is a good singer then he/she is a good singer and not an expert or a role model for lots of other things.

We have bad pollution - I can see that just by looking out of the window. And it won't go away until the police enforces lots of laws.

But imagine what would happen if the police would suddenly enforce all those laws? I am sure lots of citizens would be very upset and blame the "military government" for being too strong.

What a rediculous post!  The people, including celebrities are allowed to make valid complaints when there is clearly a serious issue and if they can bring additional pressure to bear due to their media exposure, so be it.  I see you are not averse to trumpeting your own opinions in the press!  Pot/kettle springs to mind.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

What a rediculous post!  The people, including celebrities are allowed to make valid complaints when there is clearly a serious issue and if they can bring additional pressure to bear due to their media exposure, so be it.  I see you are not averse to trumpeting your own opinions in the press!  Pot/kettle springs to mind.

If I write something i.e. here, how many people read that and how many people will believe it because OneMoreFarang wrote it? Very few!

But with celebrities lots of people seem to "think" that everything those people say must be the truth and these celebrities seem to somehow be experts in everything. That's why lots of people buy things which are advertised by celebrities even if those celebrities never ever used that product.

I don't trust celebrities because it seems many of them do what they do to make money and it seems many of them advertise anything as long as they get paid for it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

These "celebrities" are probably copying the Western ones who like to lecture everyone on politics, social behavior and of course climate change, sustainability and animal welfare. 

Being a singer, footballer, or any kind of entertainer doesn't make them an expert on anything; nor a role model.

But yes, nothing will change because laws aren't enforced. And when they are, there are massive complaints. They can't even enforce taxis turning on meters and not refusing fares! No chance with farmers.

• Like 2