TV antenna installation

Inderpland

I want to cancel the Sophon Cable subscription since I only use IPTV and the Mrs can get the Thai channels for free so I'm looking for a company that can come and install a dish/antenna that can get all the free channels available.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

A dish should not be necessary. I have an antenna and get several channels coming in on it, digital of course. But that is to a TV outside the house, inside it comes down my internet fiber. It is reasonable at 850 baht for internet and TV, more than enough channels to keep her happy and great picture. 

You could install an outdoor digital terrestrial antenna  like this ( from Amorn Tukcom)

D15E.thumb.jpg.9f37fb038d9a83961ad550fbdb61f3e7.jpg

use the website   https://dtvservicearea.nbtc.go.th/webpeople/

to find pointing directions to the transmitter...don't use the share location as its often inaccurate, instead

zoom into the map (with mouse wheel) to find your exact location then click on the blue teardrop symbol on the top left  then  move mouse cursor to your exact location and left click  and the site should then show detail like this.

2082255433_PattayaTVtransmitter3.jpg.ccc7844fa67e90041ebf2f96242e6340.jpg

It shows the distance to the transmitter  in my case 9.9KM  and the compass direction to point the antenna in my case 325 degrees.

IMG_20160430_124407_1.thumb.jpg.5b732900d0f56e0b5e0b689a929a4578.jpg

Its a good idea to find the pointing direction before buying the antenna as you may not physically be able to point the antenna in that direction..say for instance you live on the other side of a condo building or have a huge building blocking line of site then it could be almost impossible to get a signal obviously the closer you are to the transmitter the smaller the antenna needs to be and some people can use indoor antennas.

in some cases  the set top box or TV tuner  does not catch all the signals  or picks up signals from Bangkok  so the  MUX frequencies are  useful to make sure you are actually tuned to the correct transmitter...I had was able to get  lots of signal from Bangkok  but it was very variable from  100%  down to nothing fluctuating during the day and confused the  set top box no end..constantly retuning itself so had to turn off the auto scan and  manually tune to each MUX

Edited by johng
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 9:12 AM, Rimmer said:

In addition to internet TV We also have a DSTV dish and decoder box for dozens of free Thai channels

So is that a one time cost for installation or do you pay a yearly fee? Also, I tried doing a search for "dstv pattaya" but nothing came up. Can you please tell me where I can find them?

On 1/22/2020 at 9:39 AM, johng said:

You could install an outdoor digital terrestrial antenna  like this ( from Amorn Tukcom)

D15E.thumb.jpg.9f37fb038d9a83961ad550fbdb61f3e7.jpg

use the website   https://dtvservicearea.nbtc.go.th/webpeople/

to find pointing directions to the transmitter...don't use the share location as its often inaccurate, instead

zoom into the map (with mouse wheel) to find your exact location then click on the blue teardrop symbol on the top left  then  move mouse cursor to your exact location and left click  and the site should then show detail like this.

2082255433_PattayaTVtransmitter3.jpg.ccc7844fa67e90041ebf2f96242e6340.jpg

It shows the distance to the transmitter  in my case 9.9KM  and the compass direction to point the antenna in my case 325 degrees.

IMG_20160430_124407_1.thumb.jpg.5b732900d0f56e0b5e0b689a929a4578.jpg

Its a good idea to find the pointing direction before buying the antenna as you may not physically be able to point the antenna in that direction..say for instance you live on the other side of a condo building or have a huge building blocking line of site then it could be almost impossible to get a signal obviously the closer you are to the transmitter the smaller the antenna needs to be and some people can use indoor antennas.

in some cases  the set top box or TV tuner  does not catch all the signals  or picks up signals from Bangkok  so the  MUX frequencies are  useful to make sure you are actually tuned to the correct transmitter...I had was able to get  lots of signal from Bangkok  but it was very variable from  100%  down to nothing fluctuating during the day and confused the  set top box no end..constantly retuning itself so had to turn off the auto scan and  manually tune to each MUX

That sounds like something I could use but since I'm the opposite of a handyman I will need someone to do the installation.

4 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

So is that a one time cost for installation or do you pay a yearly fee? Also, I tried doing a search for "dstv pattaya" but nothing came up. Can you please tell me where I can find them?

One time, buy the box and the dish, wife bought it at the end of our road but they are no longer there, suggest ask where you see the sat dishes diplayed outside the shop.